Thread: Volkswagen Golf GTI Edition 35

Volkswagen Golf GTI Edition 35

Volkswagen-Golf_GTI_Edition_35_2011_800x600_wallpaper_01.jpg Volkswagen-Golf_GTI_Edition_35_2011_800x600_wallpaper_02.jpg Volkswagen-Golf_GTI_Edition_35_2011_800x600_wallpaper_03.jpg Volkswagen-Golf_GTI_Edition_35_2011_800x600_wallpaper_05.jpg

Volkswagen has revealed its Golf GTI Edition 35. With impeccable timing, it follows the Edition 30 of 2006 and the 25th Anniversary Edition of ten years ago. It celebrates the hot hatchback’s increasing legacy, which now stretches well into its fourth decade.

Like its similarly tagged forebears, it gets extra power and a subtle sprinkling of cosmetic tweaks. Its 2-litre turbocharged petrol engine gets a 25bhp hike, from 207bhp to 232bhp, which should help it in the fight against the Renaultsport Megane 250 and SEAT Leon Cupra. It should better the regular GTI’s 6.9sec sprint to 62mph and 149mph top speed.

And while it looks largely similar to a regular VW Golf GTI, there are some neat changes to help differentiate it for those in the know. The front bumper gets a refreshed look while there’s a new multi-spoke, 18in alloy wheel design dubbed ‘Watkins Glen’, a nod to the New York race circuit.

Firmer details will be revealed after the Volkswagen Golf GTI Edition 35’s unveil at the annual GTI meet at Worthersee from June 1 2011, but with a German price tag of 30,425 euros, expect to pay around £27,000 when the Edition 35 goes on sale in the UK later this year. That represents a rise of around £2K over a standard Golf GTI.

So this car sits in-between the standard Golf GTI and the Golf R for price and power.
    http://www.evo.co.uk/news/evonews/267667/volkswagen_golf_gti_edition_35_news_and_pictures.h tml
    Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you."
    — Jeremy Clarkson

Any chance this one is coming stateside? I assume it will. I would really like the GTI R but I suppose, if I couldn't afford it I would settle for this one. Although I'm nowhere near close to buying a new car. haha.

Diggin everything but the wheels. They're not bad, but I like the "standard" 5 spoke ones more.
    Buy a car for you, not for other people

I wonder how they got the extra power....seeing how a pretty simple chip job nets your ~50+ bhp/80+ ft-lb with the TSI motor....

New wheels are cool looking, and the car has some subtle bodywork changes and the unique trim pieces inside. But its a pretty significant price jump over the stock GTI....when a chip job cost ~$700....

I should try to track down the golf-ball knob for the DSG shifter...

Quote Originally Posted by ScionDriver View Post
    Any chance this one is coming stateside? I assume it will. I would really like the GTI R but I suppose, if I couldn't afford it I would settle for this one. Although I'm nowhere near close to buying a new car. haha.
    They might, they did bring some other special edition over before, though its not quite 35th anniversary for GTI yet in US.

Golf R is in the mid-high 30s I think...the AWD and more power means its a much quicker car....if they are as fast as the MKIV and MKV R32 that is...
    Last edited by RacingManiac; 05-11-2011 at 04:57 PM.
    University of Toronto Formula SAE Alumni 2003-2007
    Formula Student Championship 2003, 2005, 2006
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

Quote Originally Posted by RacingManiac View Post
    They might, they did bring some other special edition over before, though its not quite 35th anniversary for GTI yet in US.

Golf R is in the mid-high 30s I think...the AWD and more power means its a much quicker car....if they are as fast as the MKIV and MKV R32 that is...
    Yeah, I'd love to find a MKIV R32 when I finally can get a "new" car but those are pretty solidly holding their value and I bet it will be tough to find one unmolested. I'd settle for a used MKV R32 though . I don't know why but I just love the GTI and I really hope to make it my next car!

I was really impressed by a MKIV R32 when I went to autox the other day....that thing scoops out of corner quick.....

The regular GTI is actually priced pretty competitively I find in US for new car....though looking at raw numbers on the spec sheet its pretty hard to make a justifiable excuse to buy it over something like Mazdaspeed 3 or WRXs....

No, I did not justify my purchase...lol
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

I'd rather a GTI than an R.

This is just VW cashing in the anniversary. Nothing else.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

The current Golf has always looked a bit boring for me... outside, and in. This one really is no exception, though the wheels are classy.

I'd much rather have something like a Renault Megane RS or even that crazy Ford Focus RS.
    www.flickr.com/photos/maestro_ng

Quote Originally Posted by Roentgen View Post
    The current Golf has always looked a bit boring for me... outside, and in.
    It's a "you all shall buy it" car... what do you expect? It's the european Toyota Corolla, only with a more "upscale" interior and higher pricing.
    FIXIE EVOLVED INTO SMALL MOTORBIKE! Now driving a Simson KR51 <3

Dream ride: red 1971 Opel Commodore GS/E

Quote Originally Posted by Commodore GS/E View Post
    It's a "you all shall buy it" car... what do you expect? It's the european Toyota Corolla, only with a more "upscale" interior and higher pricing.
    And much faster...
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by LHamilton_w View Post
    Diggin everything but the wheels. They're not bad, but I like the "standard" 5 spoke ones more.
    Gonna disagree with you there my friend. I think these are quite excellent.

I won't begrudge them an anniversary for one of the best hot hatch lineages of the last 35 years.
    <cough> www.charginmahlazer.tumblr.com </cough>

The current Golf has always looked a bit boring for me... outside, and in. This one really is no exception, though the wheels are classy.

I'd much rather have something like a Renault Megane RS or even that crazy Ford Focus RS.
    Its a much more competitive market in EU for hot hatches...in US we are pretty limited in our choice....
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

Quote Originally Posted by Commodore GS/E View Post
    True, but compared with it's French rivals, it really is very boring...

Though the Golf is the more reliable, and possibly more practical option.
    www.flickr.com/photos/maestro_ng

True, but compared with it's French rivals, it really is very boring...

Though the Golf is the more reliable, and possibly more practical option.
    Nearly all rivals of the Golf look more stylish, but that's the point why they fail to beat it: they sacrifice practicality for better looks, which are also highly subjective. The Golf is simply form follows function.
    Not to mention that it's still the best choice for rational thinking people and firms because of it's resale value.
    FIXIE EVOLVED INTO SMALL MOTORBIKE! Now driving a Simson KR51 <3

Dream ride: red 1971 Opel Commodore GS/E

Thread Information