Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Kei cars.

So American may import these from Canada British Columbians imported them under our import law that states a car must be 15 years old?

I have not seen any of these here, but the other day spotted 3 RHD cars: an R34, a Figaro, and a Sprite.

We can import anything over 25 years old to license for the street, but since these have been coming into Canada the past decade, it's easier and cheaper for US buyers than going to Japan. There's a dealer in Vancouver and another in Toronto that specialize in these cars.

I think the Nissan Figaro is pretty neat, the SCargo too.
    Never own more cars than you can keep charged batteries in...

Quote Originally Posted by csl177 View Post
    We can import anything over 25 years old to license for the street, but since these have been coming into Canada the past decade, it's easier and cheaper for US buyers than going to Japan. There's a dealer in Vancouver and another in Toronto that specialize in these cars.

I think the Nissan Figaro is pretty neat, the SCargo too.
    What is the one in TO? I am gonna have a look for it.

the Honda Beat has amazing handeling - & the Cuppucino has a perfect 50/50 weight distribution . both of them are magic on twisty roads

getting a good condition example of either is becoming harder & more expensive . like all Kei cars , they are crying out for engine swaps tho

Beats have had the excellent B16 dropped into them - which makes for a crazy unbalanced car. im not sure what you could drop into a cuppucino

personally id like to get my hands on an Aygo & MR it with something 4 cylinders

I would think the charm of many Kei cars are the small engines, and as you mention swaps with larger powerplants ruin balance and dynamics. Not even sure what you could swap into some of these besides a bike engine. A Beat with a B16 seems silly... any examples we could see?

Here's one left out earlier, Mazda's Autozam... and it's grand dad, the R360 Coupe.
    Attached Images Attached Images

theres no charm in a serious lack of torque

at the least they want a 1200 or 1300 in there. the balance of the beat isnt "ruined" at all- it just becomes more crazy to drive by a serious magnitude

sorry cant agree with you in any way shape or form over the engines in Kei cars - they need to be junked or given an serious 400hp-per-liter twin charge makeover

ps im the biggest fan of small cars i know. always have been & once i get myself a Duratec 2.0 my Ka is not going to know what hit it
    Last edited by Badsight; 06-04-2011 at 12:36 AM.

i would love to own an AZ1 - probablly the most out of all the Kei's

still have a soft spot for the beat - but thats probablly due to having driven one

would love to get my hands on the FR cuppucino

these were all in my cuppucino folder - i cant remember if the cobra kit actually is a Cuppucino but thats where i saved the pics too

last one :-)

IIRC Subaru used the Vivio as a works rally car in the Safari.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Badsight View Post
    theres no charm in a serious lack of torque

at the least they want a 1200 or 1300 in there. the balance of the beat isnt "ruined" at all- it just becomes more crazy to drive by a serious magnitude

sorry cant agree with you in any way shape or form over the engines in Kei cars - they need to be junked or given an serious 400hp-per-liter twin charge makeover
    Driving a slow car fast might not seem charming, admittedly... but it is entertaining for those with skill. For many small cars the entertainment (or charm) isn't about horsepower and torque. FWIW, I like the idea of 'Busa power in all kinds of tiny contraptions.
    But a Honda S600 with anything but what belongs in it isn't appealing in the same way. Likewise, stock Kei cars have their place.
    Maybe not in your garage, though.

What's the maroon van in the first pic, and the baby Cobra is way too cool for words... where is that?

Quote Originally Posted by Badsight View Post
    these were all in my cuppucino folder - i cant remember if the cobra kit actually is a Cuppucino but thats where i saved the pics too
    The last picture is a Mitsuoka Himiko which is a coachbuilt Miata.

gaining popularity, haha.
    1992 3door. Wolf V4x ECU, 650cc injectors, GTR fuelpump, custom exhaust manifold, XR6 'cooler, 2.5inch exhaust system, Trust TD05-16g turbo, tial 38mm wastegate, NPC ceramic clutch, LSD.185hp on E85.
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DIj8sx6TsM&feature=player_embedded"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DIj8sx6TsM&feature=player_embedded[/ame]

motor might be a 1L from a sirion though.
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Quote Originally Posted by csl177 View Post
    Driving a slow car fast might not seem charming, admittedly... but it is entertaining for those with skill. For many small cars the entertainment (or charm) isn't about horsepower and torque. FWIW, I like the idea of 'Busa power in all kinds of tiny contraptions.
    But a Honda S600 with anything but what belongs in it isn't appealing in the same way. Likewise, stock Kei cars have their place.
    Maybe not in your garage, though.
    Driving a fast car fast is easy. Driving a slow car fast takes a lot of skill and is very rewarding.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Thread Information