Thread: 1948 Healey Shooting Break

1948 Healey Shooting Break

It's actually advertised as a 1948 Healey Woody, recently restored (see photos) and for sale.

One of only 2 surviving examples of 17 built, commissioned by Hector Dobbs with body built by Dibbens of Southampton, England. Hector Dobbs was a successful Riley dealer and racer, with the history of some of his specials intertwining with later specials, including the first "Lotus" built by Chapman for Clive Clairmonte. Additional information regarding Mr. Dobbs' exploits and in particular his decision to produce this shooting break would be greatly appreciated.

The car shown here is an example of a post WW2 small production specialty, as well as the still-present skills in the UK for extraordinary restorations.

Photos from the seller's eBay auction. Enjoy.
    Last edited by csl177; 05-30-2011 at 08:12 PM. Reason: typo
    Never own more cars than you can keep charged batteries in...

More images of the finished car.

It really is lovely.

Oh wow, i don't think i've ever seen the combination of a shooting brake and woody before, that's really cool

Wow, that's an amazing resto.. though looking at the starting point it seems like it's almost a remanufacture! Interesting that the passenger gets to operate the handbrake.
    Life's too short to drive bad cars.

Quote Originally Posted by pimento View Post
    Wow, that's an amazing resto.. though looking at the starting point it seems like it's almost a remanufacture! Interesting that the passenger gets to operate the handbrake.
    with a wooden body like this, including the roof, probably all wood parts have been replaced. And a handbrake position like this is not uncommon, it is still in reach for the driver.
    But the car looks stunning, and I am actually surprised that only 2 out of 17 survived. Brits are normally keen to realise the rarity of a car, but possibly not in this case.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

The other 15 likely had their drivetrains scavanged for Healey Silverstones, sportscars being more desirable than shooting breaks. Especially with so few available and prices climbing the past few years. But for perspective, here's the model this woody was based on. Pretty rare on it's own though not as highly valued... the effort to bring this woody back is impressive, and with only two extant priced accordingly.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by csl177 View Post
    The other 15 likely had their drivetrains scavanged for Healey Silverstones, sportscars being more desirable than shooting breaks. Especially with so few available and prices climbing the past few years. But for perspective, here's the model this woody was based on. Pretty rare on it's own though not as highly valued... the effort to bring this woody back is impressive, and with only two extant priced accordingly.
    I think it was based on the Elliot. (also some of these are still being raced)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    I think it was based on the Elliot. (also some of these are still being raced)
    I stand corrected, not the Westland. Thanks!

I saw this on another site. I thought it was a really cool restoration too.

Really neat car. I bet those woodies are tough to restore. Good thing there are at least still 2 of them around for us to look at!

Thread Information