Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mercedes-Benz C63 AMG Coupe Black Series leak

Mercedes-Benz C63 AMG Coupe Black Series leak

So hear it is the Mercedes-Benz C63 AMG Coupe Black Series, in red.

car_photo_450649_25.jpg car_photo_450646_25.jpg car_photo_450637_25.jpg car_photo_450634_25.jpg

Photos of the upcoming Mercedes-Benz C63 AMG Black Series Coupe have been leaked. Due to be revealed at the German Grand Prix weekend (22-24 July), the fourth Black Series model uses AMG’s naturally-aspirated 6.2 litre V8, producing 510bhp (30 bhp up on the standard car equipped with the AMG Performance package) and 472 lb ft. Only 20 kilos have been shaved from the kerb weight.

The Black Series trademark wide arches clothe a wider track with a different suspension set-up, uprated brakes and new wheels. However, unlike its spiritual predecessor, the CLK Black, the new car is said to be a four-seater.

We’re big fans of the CLK Black Series, though it was somewhat let down by its gearbox. The new car’s main rival, the M3 GTS, has a dual-clutch gearbox. Mercedes may struggle to compete with it transmission-wise if it stays with a regular automatic.

We are told the C63 Black will go on sale for less than £100,000, undercutting the £116,000 M3 GTS. Production is likely to be bigger than the M3 GTS’s limited 136-strong run.

http://www.evo.co.uk/news/evonews/269956/mercedesbenz_c63_amg_coupe_black_series_leak.html
    Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you."
    — Jeremy Clarkson

I love how the Black Series cars look but I don't know if I could ever just buy one, bonkers amount of power, very very stiff suspension, but man I bet they're fun to drive once.

When i think of the C63 black series i think, tyre smoke, sideways, fun and POWER.... A typical AMG.
    Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you."
    — Jeremy Clarkson

Quote Originally Posted by ScionDriver View Post
    I love how the Black Series cars look but I don't know if I could ever just buy one, bonkers amount of power, very very stiff suspension, but man I bet they're fun to drive once.
    The preposterously stiff ride, silly price tag or unnecessarily flared wheel arches are all meaningless in this.

Because of the engine. The engine in this car dominates everything.
    Quote Originally Posted by thebrochureman View Post
    When i think of the C63 black series i think, tyre smoke, sideways, fun and POWER.... A typical AMG.
    Typical AMGs are the European Muscle car. Without the reduced price tag.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

The engine's are pieces of art, almost. Just great, great tributes to engineering and power.

I've always thought AMGs were weird in that they have NO purpose. Too heavy for the track (to be competitive at least), just a little too powerful and stiff for the road. I'd imagine if you found a well paved road or went to an amateur track day you could have quite some fun though.
    "Don't think your time on bad things
    Just float your little mind around"
    Jimi Hendrix

Gobs and gobs of power is what everyone dreams of tho, especially the people with more money than brains that buy these. Throw in the notion that money is power and the people believe this, they wanna own something that they believe would dominate the road. I just don't get why the thing isn't painted black like the name would suggest

^ post 427 HELL YEAH! i was waiting for it haha

Quote Originally Posted by Cobrafan427 View Post
    Gobs and gobs of power is what everyone dreams of tho, especially the people with more money than brains that buy these. Throw in the notion that money is power and the people believe this, they wanna own something that they believe would dominate the road. I just don't get why the thing isn't painted black like the name would suggest
    Same reason why the "greener" model of a certain car isn't necessarily have to be green in color I suppose.

AMG doesn't do precision-honed track machines. That's M's specialty. AMG's are true "German Muscle" cars. I like how AMG doesn't try to be something they aren't, but keep what makes their cars different, even if it isn't necessarily for the better.
    Buy a car for you, not for other people

AMG has the most insane attitude of any car maker. They have their track devices (the CLK Black Series wasn't that bad in racing), and all of their cars have truly improved handling-wise since they started building cars, but at heart, their V8 models are still muscle cars.
    The V12's, however, are mostly top notch luxury cruisers (with the exception of the SL Black, which is certainly the least sane creation they have ever done).

I think that this will e their new track weapon, as it is technically a replacement for the CLK Black which handled pretty well. I'm also a fan of the fact that they still used the old 63er engine to create this. I'm not sure why, but I think that this car will become a legend someday.
    FIXIE EVOLVED INTO SMALL MOTORBIKE! Now driving a Simson KR51 <3

Dream ride: red 1971 Opel Commodore GS/E

I've just read in the Top Gear review of the standard AMG C63 Coupé, that the only reason the C keeps the old engine is because the new V8 twin turbo doesn't fit under the bonnet of the C-Class.

So it's not for any sort of romantic reasons that the big 6.2 litre engine is kept.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

I don't know about you guys, although I like the way the C63 AMG coupe looks, it looks very USDM Accord coupe-like from the side profile.

Also, it looks like it's trying too hard to be a M3 GTS competitor.

^^^ AMG trying to hard, never.
    — Jeremy Clarkson

Quote Originally Posted by NSXType-R View Post
    I don't know about you guys, although I like the way the C63 AMG coupe looks, it looks very USDM Accord coupe-like from the side profile.

i dont think it looks accord-like and im sure it doesnt drive like an accord either. and i agree with thebrochureman, the C63 AMG never tries too hard. how do you guys think it will do at the german grand prix?
    Last edited by henk4; 07-18-2011 at 10:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by NSXType-R View Post

I don't think that AMG even thought about the competition, given it's massive power and completely different setup. BMW and Audi have nothing to fight this.
    FIXIE EVOLVED INTO SMALL MOTORBIKE! Now driving a Simson KR51 <3

Dream ride: red 1971 Opel Commodore GS/E

Thread Information