Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: 40-60 mph: '67 Ferrari VS '64 Cadillac

Quote Originally Posted by Fleet 500 View Post
    Or he can save them on one of those sites like carbonite or mozey (unlimited back up).
    ... Until they get taken down a la Megaupload.
    Life's too short to drive bad cars.

I perform backups monthly and I have a second laptop with all of this stuff archived on it. I also keep two complete backups very handy.
    Terry

Quote Originally Posted by Fleet 500 View Post
    Yes, I really appreciate and am glad there were so many road tests back then. Some will say they were biased or the cars were not stock (true in some cases, but certainly not all), but magazines like Road Test, Car Life, Motor Trend were usually honest tests. Less honest was Car & Driver! (Remember the ridiculous "3.9 seconds" for 0-60 for that '65 Pontiac Catalina 2+2?)

38,000 documents? Wow! I don't have many stored on my computer, just magazines (which can take up a lot of room).

Car Life listed curb and test weight, but of which were useful. I've never found shipping weight to be very useful.

Hale's formula? I know of a certain ex-member (still a member but stopped posting) who swears by it. Which is not good. It's not a 100% accurate method. Or even near 100% accurate. As you said, weights can and did vary.
    I remember the C&D road test very well indeed. I also recall the infamous GTO vrs Ferrari article that still sparks a flame whenever mentioned to this day. By the later 60s, C&D began to settle down and publish some well laid out articles.

In my opinion, the best magazines for reliable info was Car Life, Road Test, Road & Track, and Motor Trend. Usually, they reported fairly accurate data, but, sometimes, even those reputable mags lacked timely specifications and improvised.

I also like Super Stock & Drag Illustrated, High Performance Cars, American Rodder, Super Stock & Funny Cars, Super Stockers, Speed & Supercar, etc, all were useful, but the first two were the most recognised and probably the most circulated. These mags were important sources for media dealing in drag racing specifically, and were aimed at the musclecar enthusiast / drag racer.
    Terry

Quote Originally Posted by dog ear View Post
    I remember the C&D road test very well indeed. I also recall the infamous GTO vrs Ferrari article that still sparks a flame whenever mentioned to this day. By the later 60s, C&D began to settle down and publish some well laid out articles.
    Yes, they did improve a lot later on as far as accurate reports/tests.

In my opinion, the best magazines for reliable info was Car Life, Road Test, Road & Track, and Motor Trend. Usually, they reported fairly accurate data, but, sometimes, even those reputable mags lacked timely specifications and improvised.
    Of those, my favorites were Car Life and Motor Trend. Motor Trend in the '70s, though, got kind of ridiculous, seeming to have a bias toward foreign cars. Not to mention their dumb choice of Car of the Year for 1971 (the Vega).

I also like Super Stock & Drag Illustrated, High Performance Cars, American Rodder, Super Stock & Funny Cars, Super Stockers, Speed & Supercar, etc, all were useful, but the first two were the most recognised and probably the most circulated. These mags were important sources for media dealing in drag racing specifically, and were aimed at the musclecar enthusiast / drag racer.
    Yes, I have some of those, especially Super Stock & Drag Illustrated and Hi-Performance Cars. They had some good tests. Also Drag Racing magazine.
    '76 Cadillac Fleetwood Seventy-Five Limousine, '95 Lincoln Town Car.

Hey Fleet!

I was driving into Peterborough, from Norwood, yesterday for undisclosed pleasure on Highway #7, here in Ontario, Canada, when the traffic began its slow descent from 100km back to 80km, the actual posted speed limit.

A few miles up the pike, I came upon this white hazy cloud in the distance and knew instinctivelty that that was the reason for the slow descent back to earth.

As I drew closer I had to smile and give you a sub-conscience 'slaute' in deference to your classical taste in automobiles. Up ahead chugged a weighted down monster in the guise of a once proud (Diamond White?) 1969 4-dr Caddy.

I remained behind for a few moments until the stench of burned molasses that must have passed for oil became too stiffling. Passing by, I noticed the driver was a long-haired hippie with 70s John Lennon specials hanging off his nose. He kind of looked like a flaked-out Dennis Hopper of Easy Rider fame.

From the side, it was plain to see that the Cad had seen better days. Old age was showing on her skirt, and she looked like 'Billie,' the clapped out smokemobile from Gone in 60 Seconds. This laggerdly bruiser was hunched over like a bad case of my cousin Kenny's old jacked-up Barracuda. Or maybe a sick coyote belly-crawing along in askanse for a better life. It sat on a severe front-to-back rake and appeared as if it needed springs and shocks.

I pulled in front and kept an eye on her for a few miles in case she needed a helping hand, but, she chugged her way into Peterborgh proudly. It was 72 degrees F here yesterday and the air was fine. On the way back home, I wondered if she made it back to Haveloc, where she came form, but, I instinctively knew that the ole girl would make it. It was good to see her out in the sunshine.

I laughed and thought about you tooling along but obviously with a much better gait, and a higher head of steam. I know of a white on white 1961 just on down the road in much better condition and it always catches my eye. Cads; always did like 'em...

clasping the steering-wheel for dear life.
    Terry

Yes, I've seen '69 Cadillacs in both good and no so good condition. Fortunately, my '69 Fleetwood Brougham is in the "good condition" category. I've owned it since Sept. 2004 when it had 89,000 miles and now it has only 98,000.

The 1969 Cadillac white color was known as "Cotillion White." Black (which my '69 FB is) was known as "Sable Black."

Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
    This is yet more proof that what you really need to be a speed freak is a...

2006 Toyota Camry SE V6!

According to a test from Road and Track, it will hit 60 mph in 6.1(!) seconds, and roll through the quarter at 14.5 at tarmac tearin' 99.9 mph!

It's DOHC 3456 cc engine will pump out an earth shattering 268 hp at 6,200 rpm, and 242 lb.-ft. of torque at 4,700 rpm - with a compression ratio of 10.8:1! This is at a test weight of 3,670 lbs and with an R/T observed mileage of 26.3 mpg, and an EPA city/highway rating of 21/29!

You also have the easy, predictable, and safe handling charactersitics of a front-wheel drive car! On the skidpad and slalom, R/T reported moderate understeer! What more can you ask for friends?!

All that for only $27,350 USD in 2006 monies!

Now that, is a reliable, comfortable, and fast car! Women will respect your rational car purchase and you can leave lesser cars (such as American iron and Italian exotica from the '60s) in your dust!

Pick one up on the second hand market and it will last you another 10 years! You won't have to worry about rust on that Caddy or filling her up with gas at 1.35 a litre, or paying for exorbitant repair fees and a gobsmacking upfront price for that 330!

Step on down to your local Toyota dealership and get a certified pre-owned 2006 Camry LE V6 today!
    Hahahah
    Im Im Impossible!

My 1998 Buick Regal GS with a few well selected mods from SLP will do the same thing and more for less money than the 2006 Toyota Camry SE V6.
    You can purchase a used 1998-2004 Buick Regal equipped with the various customary mods (installed) for about 3500.00 - 4500.00 in Toronto, Ontario, Canada. Speed and comfort baby!

...but, the topic is about the classic Caddy and the Ferrari...
    Terry

My 1998 Buick Regal GS with a few well selected mods from SLP will do the same thing and more for less money than the 2006 Toyota Camry SE V6.
    You can purchase a used 1998-2004 Buick Regal equipped with the various customary mods (installed) for about 3500.00 - 4500.00 in Toronto, Ontario, Canada. Speed and comfort baby!

...but, the topic is about the classic Caddy and the Ferrari...
    Not only that, but would any car enthusiast really want to drive around (or be seen driving around) in a Toyota Camry?

I prefer the 64 Caddy with a transplanted 500 lightly modified. 3.23.1 gearing and a switch-pitch turbo 400 tranny. Those mods should make the old girl really situp and be noticed. Fat P245-ish type tires and some classic aftermarket ''mag'' type whees would set off the clean (for its time) lines of the Cad quite well.

I knew a guy who hopped up his '64 back in the early seventies and you would be quite surprised with the performance he got out of the package. He used the original 429 with fabricated headers, 2.5'' exhausts, 2'' throttle plate under the re-jetted carb, and an open element air cleaner housing, and re-curved ignitiion timing. With H-70-15 Firestone tires he screached to 60 mph in a hurry. I was with him at speeds approaching 130 mph top end several times. We beat lots of mid-seventies Camaro and Trans-Am in stop light races. LOL!
    Last edited by dog ear; 04-23-2012 at 09:15 AM. Reason: mistakes
    Terry

Californian by nature, living in Teggsas.
    '64 Cads were pretty quick for their day, somewhere I have another road test on a '64 which matches these figures nearly number-for-number. '58 or perhaps '59 Lincolns (I forget which) were pretty speedy for their time too, until Lincoln choked that fabulous 430" motor off with a 2-bbl carb.
    An it harm none, do as ye will

Approximately 79% of statistics are made up.

Quote Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
    '64 Cads were pretty quick for their day, somewhere I have another road test on a '64 which matches these figures nearly number-for-number. '58 or perhaps '59 Lincolns (I forget which) were pretty speedy for their time too, until Lincoln choked that fabulous 430" motor off with a 2-bbl carb.

Dig out that Cad article and post it when you have time, pls. I have quite a few 50s / 60s Lincoln articles. Yes, the late 50s Lincolns could really scoot with a four bbl.

Real problem with the Lincoln 430 CID was that the less than adaquate 4-bbl carb. It was rated at less than 500 CFM. Camshaft was real weak also. Low lift and duration.

NASCAR boys coaxed almost 150 mph out of 430 CID T-Birds at Daytona in 1959-1960. That says alot for the potential of the big lazy revving monster MEL 430.

In the late 70s, I was in a Kennedy 62 at over 125 with just true duels and a 4-bbl carb. Later the next year, the same car did over 130 mph with a couple more simple mods: carb spacer, jets, newer model 600 CFM Autolite and recurved timing. Nothing radical. It also looked killer with bigger meats on all four corners.

I will dig out a couple of old road tests and post them.
    Terry

It's in a book somewhere, I have one with road tests for '50s Lincolns, one with 60's Cads, and the last is with 70s Lincoln Continentals. All have a fair number of comparison test vs. other luxury cars. One even has the Cadillac Fleetwood going head to head with Mercedes, Jag, and Rolls, among others (I believe it was a '66 model year).

Quote Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
    It's in a book somewhere, I have one with road tests for '50s Lincolns, one with 60's Cads, and the last is with 70s Lincoln Continentals. All have a fair number of comparison test vs. other luxury cars. One even has the Cadillac Fleetwood going head to head with Mercedes, Jag, and Rolls, among others (I believe it was a '66 model year).
    Sounds very interesting. Post a few from each generation if you can. I am going to post a road test comparsion in a few minutes from Motor Life August, 1960 for our viewers to read. It's betweeen Lincoln, Caddy, and Chrysler Imperial.

Check it out.
    Terry

Sounds very interesting. Post a few from each generation if you can. I am going to post a road test comparsion in a few minutes from Motor Life August, 1960 for our viewers to read. It's betweeen Lincoln, Caddy, and Chrysler Imperial.

Check it out.
    I might have that one...i'll check it out when it's up

Thread Information