Thread: BMW M3 DTM Concept Car

BMW M3 DTM Concept Car

BMW M3 DTM Concept Car celebrates debut.

Just two weeks after the official roll-out of the new racing car for the 2012 DTM season, BMW presented the BMW M3 DTM Concept Car.

Dr. Klaus Draeger, Member of the Board of Management of BMW AG responsible for development, and BMW Motorsport Director Jens Marquardt unveiled the car on Friday evening in the Double Cone building at Munich’s BMW Welt. As part of the DTM event in the Olympic Stadium, the BMW M3 DTM Concept Car will be on show to motorsport fans and visitors to BMW Welt at the weekend.

The car offers an initial impression of what the BMW M3 DTM will look like when it lines up at the start of the 2012 season. However, the vehicle was not the only star of the evening at BMW Welt: BMW Motorsport also presented the first two drivers to be confirmed as wearing the company colours in the DTM as of next season – Andy Priaulx and Augusto Farfus. Furthermore, the first partners of BMW Motorsport for 2012 were introduced.

“It is good to see how our DTM project is picking up speed,” said Dr. Draeger. ”Next year, BMW returns to the DTM after two decades. We will be facing our main competitors in the premium sector – and are already looking forward to this challenge. The DTM comeback sees BMW return to its roots. We have enjoyed great success in production car racing in the past, and I am convinced we will follow on in 2012 where we left off. Everyone at BMW Motorsport is working hard to ensure we get off to a successful start next season.”

Marquardt added: “Getting a new racing programme up and running is a bit like doing a jigsaw. New pieces are added almost every day, and we must put them together to create the big picture. The BMW M3 DTM Concept Car is an important milestone on our route to the start of the 2012 season. The roll-out of the car was successful, and we are now starting our test programme out on the track. Drivers Andy Priaulx and Augusto Farfus are also involved and will form part of our driving line-up in 2012. Their impressive performances in touring car and GT racing make them ideally suited to the DTM, and we are sure they will leave their mark on this series too. It is obviously just as important to have strong partners on board, and we were able to present some of them today. The pieces are fitting together perfectly, so we can definitely say: our preparations for the 2012 season are going according to plan.”

http://www.bmw-motorsport.com/news/2011/july/bmw_m3_dtm_concept_car_celebrates_debut
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by carreragt10; 07-15-2011 at 06:47 PM.
    Sorry if I cannot express myself correctly, but I don't know English as good as I want, so my answers will probably be the same in many cases.

BMW M3 DTM Concept Car #02

Racing genes: the BMW M3 DTM.

When BMW returns to the DTM next season, it will also mark the comeback of a racing legend: between 1987 and 1992 the BMW M3 celebrated no less than 40 wins and over 150 podium finishes in this series.

The BMW M3 DTM is based on the fourth generation of the most sporty production car to emerge from BMW M. BMW Motorsport has been developing the DTM version of the car since autumn last year, when the Board of Management of BMW AG announced the company’s return to the DTM.

The DTM regulations for the 2012 season stipulate all cars must use a certain number of standard components. This is to guarantee that development costs remain reasonable and are considerably lower than in other top motorsport categories. Despite this, the BMW Motorsport engineers have been able to call upon the immense technical resources of the BMW Group and apply their innovation to establish performance advantages over their rivals in areas such as engine and aerodynamics.

The result of this work is a spectacular racing car, which is set to thrill DTM fans. The powerful V8 engine equipped with the air restrictor as detailed in the technical regulations generates approximately 480 bhp. The car accelerates from 0 to 100 km/h in about three seconds and boasts a top speed of approx. 300 km/h.

Technical specification BMW M3 DTM Concept Car.

Length:
    4,775mm (without rear wing)

Width:
    1,950mm

Height:
    approx. 1,200mm (depending on set-up)

Chassis/Bodywork:
    CFRP monocoque with steel roll cage structure

Transmission:
    Sequential 6-speed gearbox

Engine type:
    Eight-cylinder V engine

Capacity:
    4,000ccm

Max. power output:
    approx. 480bhp (with air restrictor as per regulations)

http://www.bmw-motorsport.com/ms_en/...the_bmw_m3_dtm
    Last edited by carreragt10; 07-15-2011 at 06:49 PM.
    Sorry if I cannot express myself correctly, but I don't know English as good as I want, so my answers will probably be the same in many cases.

BMW M3 DTM Concept Car #03

Strong teams and strong partners.

Three teams will compete in next year’s DTM for BMW: BMW Team Schnitzer, BMW Team RBM and BMW Team RMG. The first partners of BMW Motorsport in the DTM have also been confirmed.

The exact allocation of drivers to the three teams will be made at a later date. First, the teams are working hand in hand with BMW Motorsport to press ahead with the development of the BMW M3 DTM.

The international hotel brand Crowne Plaza Hotels & Resorts, part of the InterContinental Hotels Group (IHG), is continuing its cooperation with BMW as Premium Partner. Deutsche Post AG is also involved as a new Premium Partner.

“In order to succeed in the DTM, strong partners are as vital as strong teams, cars and drivers,” says Marquardt. “Even at this early stage BMW is in the fortunate position of having secured a raft of respected team sponsors and partners, all of whom perfectly complement the brand and identify totally with our ambitions. We are pleased that long-standing partners have also elected to remain with us. However, for us it is equally satisfying that additional top companies have decided to partner BMW’s DTM campaign and share in the challenges which face us.”

Janis Cannon, vice president global brand management, Crowne Plaza said: “Many BMW drivers tend to be the same people that check into our hotels around the world every day which is why it’s such a great brand fit for us. Our partnership with BMW is growing from strength to strength and is now in its fifth year. We wish the BMW team the best of luck on the track.”

Ingo Bohlken, Chief Marketing Officer BRIEF Deutsche Post AG, said: “The DTM has long been the German motor racing series, and thrills millions of fans, both live and on TV. Therefore for Deutsche Post it provides the ideal communications platform. As the world’s most popular touring car series, the DTM represents speed, dynamics and team spirit – all attributes that distinguish Deutsche Post. We welcome the return of BMW, and look forward to many exciting races.”

Castrol Edge will continue to be BMW Motorsport’s Premier Technical Partner in the DTM. “The combined effort with BMW in motorsport is an important component of our partnership,” said Martin Rasbach, BMW Partnership Manager Castrol Lubricants. “The knowledge gained by pushing products to the limit in motorsport enables Castrol to create the high performance lubricants used by millions of drivers everyday and demonstrates the power of building long term trust and value through shared technology and expertise.”

In addition, H&R, SONAX and ZF Sachs were introduced as Official Partners in Munich, Sympatex was presented as Official Supplier. The company logos will be visible on all cars used by BMW Motorsport.

Manfred Hoffmann, Managing Shareholder of SONAX GmbH and owner of the Hoffmann group, explained: “We are delighted that the SONAX brand will once again be present on the circuits used by the DTM. Above all we are pleased that BMW Motorsport’s comeback has provided us with this opportunity. We would like to thank our partner BMW, and wish the entire team a ‘bright’ start to the 2012 season.”

Dr. Peter Ottenbruch, ZF Friedrichshafen AG Board Member responsible for Technology, said: “For many years we have worked extremely closely with BMW, both on the company’s production cars and in motorsport. In international motor racing the DTM is a highly respected series, and we are very pleased to be able to continue our successful partnership with BMW Motorsport in this series.”

Hartwig von der Brake, Marketing Manager of H&R, said: “BMW and touring car racing were two concepts that were inseparable for me even when I was a teenager. At that time, I was a young fan following the action on the race track. Today I’m delighted that we have been able to get such a fantastic project off the ground with such a strong partner.”

“As a developer and supplier of high-tech functional fabrics, Sympatex unites top performance and the ecology,” said Michael Kamm, CEO of Sympatex Technologies GmbH. “We – like BMW Motorsport – place enormous value on the efficient and responsible combination of resources and optimum performance. We look forward to partnering and supporting BMW in the forthcoming season.”

http://www.bmw-motorsport.com/news/2...trong_partners
    Last edited by carreragt10; 07-15-2011 at 06:53 PM.

I was wondering when BMW was gonna attempt to get back to DTM

DTM cars have always been the most badass of the Grand Touring scene, and this tops them all. Glad to see Bimmers returning to the scene, its just a damn shame NASCRAP will still hold the precedent in the US. Goddamn hillbillies ruin the fun for real motorsport fans. D:<
    "Don't think your time on bad things
    Just float your little mind around"
    Jimi Hendrix

Quote Originally Posted by Cobrafan427 View Post
    I was wondering when BMW was gonna attempt to get back to DTM
    It has been known for many months that BMW was entering the DTM in 2012.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Nice to see BMW back in DTM.
    Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you."
    — Jeremy Clarkson

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QmrUfZmsVhc&feature=feedu"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QmrUfZmsVhc&feature=feedu[/ame]

Just curious, what is the difference between the ALMS M3 and the DTM M3?

A different set of rules govern each car I guess?

The M3 GT2 is somewhat related to the road car. This only shared the badge at most...
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

I prefer the GT2/GT3 bodywork over the chopped and channeled DTM/GT500 cars.

Needs warpaint....
    University of Toronto Formula SAE Alumni 2003-2007
    Formula Student Championship 2003, 2005, 2006
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

I'm pretty excited about this. With the reglement changes that will take place in the oncoming years (to make the cars less complex and more related to the actual cars), it is a good step to make DTM even more interesting. Now all I want to see is Opel and Alfa rejoining .
    FIXIE EVOLVED INTO SMALL MOTORBIKE! Now driving a Simson KR51 <3

Dream ride: red 1971 Opel Commodore GS/E

BMW M3 DTM Concept Car #04

BMW M3 DTM Concept Car #05

Thread Information