Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Top Gear USA Series 2

Top Gear USA Series 2

Surprised no one else has commented about it

First oen was a so-so bit of fun akin to JC/RH/JM at their best.

Just watched second ep and enjoyed it.
    WISH they'd shown more of the classic 'Vettes but just the one shot of them in snake movement was worth it.

VERY interested that an American slags of the interior of the latest gen the same as Hammond had ( and got pilloried for saying ) Definately the burn out start is what lost the drag race ... but even taking that in to account I was surprised even knowng the 458 shift is ultra quick.

LOVED their way of dropping the Stig in for the track comparison but not convinced that the Stig drove the 458 as they showed no footage of it. Suspect the owner was the driver on that and they wouldn't own up Might explain the times !

Maybe I love it more that you guys as we get to see some great US roads and their trackign shots and camera work is superb. Think we get "jaded" on British/European scenery

Laughed at the Ariel winning as I remember driving a rental over pass Colorado Springs to Breckenridge and it was GUTLESS and a horribel car to drive

EDIT: Decided it needed some pics
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Matra et Alpine; 08-01-2011 at 05:55 AM.
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Yeah the new season format is pretty good. They cut out more of the audience portion for the actual segments, which is good since in US the show is only 40 some minutes long since we have ads. Not surprised at the ZR1 being faster around the track, and with the poor driving and lack of launch control(Ferrari definitely have it) that probably cemented the result of the drag race...

I like the 3 novice driver made to look like their host counterpart....
    University of Toronto Formula SAE Alumni 2003-2007
    Formula Student Championship 2003, 2005, 2006
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

I stopped watching it after the first episode. And I was impressed with myself for lasting that long.

I've enjoyed these two here, I think the series is showing promise and making sure it has its own identity. It certainly improved well across the first series and seems like they're still heading onwards and upwards with these latest two. I think highlight for me is still the 'best truck' episode from the last series.
    Life's too short to drive bad cars.

Its watchable but I'm still unimpressed

I showed excitement and promise for it last year but I just can't see the chemistry. Everything seems forced and scripted. You can't copy greatness. I expect it will improve and become a pretty good show in it's own right but they should venture away from the TGUK copying.

On another note there's a 'Car Show' hosted by Adam Carrolla on Speed TV that looks pretty cool. Gonna check that out later.
    Rockefella says:
    pat's sister is hawt
    David Fiset says:
    so is mine
    David Fiset says:
    do want

Quote Originally Posted by pimento View Post
    I think highlight for me is still the 'best truck' episode from the last series.
    Might have to check that out, actually.

Getting first three eps now thank for the heads up ...... though even on Carolla's OWN web site there are a few saying bad things esp about them getting facts wrong
    ... which is a pet hate of mien too, especially if it's saying a car is FWD when it's RWD !!!!

I saw that the Car Show is up against Mythbusters on the schedule which I know is abig thing for USA viewers
    Last edited by Matra et Alpine; 08-02-2011 at 04:21 AM. Reason: removed confusion over presenters :)
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

I do <3 me some Mythbusters. Let us know if The Car Show is worth watching.

Just watched the first one .... better than work .... the client can wait an extra hour

Carolla VERY annoying and he is working too hard to be the funny man in all scenes. He destroyed the Rolls Royce drive with the journalist guy

ALSO, it's clearly scripted in areas with Carolla reading a monitor. Too much stare to the camera. VERY reminiscient of US sports shows formats and you guys seem to love them so liekly it will build a following. Second one jsut finishing and already I'm zoning out sections

Interestingly they had the white 458 that was on Top Gear USA
    The owner is a race driver and he "tricked it out" and LOWERED IT as well as changing the rims ( and painting the calipers -- on a FERRARI ... WTF !!! ) So I'm betting he didnt' let Stig drive it

Mayeb time for a "Car Show" thread to slag it off ?
    ( btw again a US show where all the participants had a go at the Corvette interior and find it hilarious how many US guys were up in arms when TG UK first complained about it and everyoen defended it .... now I guess it's OK to accpet it's not that good now that USA "stars" are saying it )

Quote Originally Posted by pimento View Post
    I do <3 me some Mythbusters
    Or Kari Byron ......

Car Show is awful...full stop. Low production value, recycled footage from other show that Speed tried to do with Dan Neil, and low brow humor and trying to integrate elements from Corolla's old "the Man show" involving scantily clad girls. Which while fine, should not be a draw as a segment on a "car show"....

Besides, Corolla never strikes me as funny at all...
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine View Post
    Or Kari Byron ......
    Also good.

^^^^ ah yes just seen the "drive a stick shift" segment and one of them losing for looking at her breasts with lots of footage to demonstrate.

At least it's not jsut me who didnt' find him funy even when reading his clearly scripted "jokes" !!!

The next episode(Wed this week) supposed to involve a segment of how many "hot girls" can fit inside a Mini Cooper(from the preview, all wearing short shorts and tight tops).

Mythbuster is at least entertaining from the material and their actual activities, sketchy/bogus scientific process and liberal application of explosive aside. And gotta give them credits for doing some really outlandish full scale experiment...
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

I like TGUS, it's slowly improving, the guys are building chemistry, as I said after the first season that they would. I still think all 3 of them need to loosen up, Foust tries too hard when doing a review on his own and comes across a bit stiff, while Rutledge tries too hard to be goofy during the group shenanigan stuff.

Lastly, I watched one-half an episode of The Car Show and thought it was too much a straight rip of TG and that they gave Carolla too much control. It felt like the director said "OK Adam, just say something sarcastic and funny as much as you can." It's OK to do that once in a while but every 5 seconds it gets old.

Thread Information