Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Another Mclaren F1 totalled...

Another Mclaren F1 totalled...

by Mr. Bean!

"The Blackadder star is believed to have suffered a minor shoulder injury when the car he was driving hit a tree and lamppost and caught fire."

How many are left of the original 106?

well, if you know how many were totalled, you can do the calculation....
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Shame.. he'd had it since new, right?
    Life's too short to drive bad cars.

That’s a shame, he was a guest one Top gear he said his F1 had 30,000 miles on the clock, that’s a lot of driving in a F1 and a very big fuel bill.
    Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you."
    — Jeremy Clarkson

"A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

^^^ Bad, but at least it's in one piece.
    Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you."
    — Jeremy Clarkson

Another one of UK tabloid's sensational work? TBH That doesn't look nearly as bad....one of the headline I read the car burst into flame....
    University of Toronto Formula SAE Alumni 2003-2007
    Formula Student Championship 2003, 2005, 2006
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

Is it really totalled?

From what I heard McLaren did promise parts for the F1, so I'm not sure why he wouldn't have it fixed since he loves the car so much.

He can definitely afford to fix it.

A bit of a side note, but McLarens have caught fire.

It def. looks salvageable, i wonder how much damage the fire did to the internals?

A shame, but at least it's being driven. I'd hate to see the repair bills but I'm sure he can afford it. Hopefully the engine didn't get torched too badly.

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    well, if you know how many were totalled, you can do the calculation....
    I'm fairly certain that of the 106 that were built in total, including GTRs, LMs and GTs, that we've lost a total of 6.

XP1 - first prototype, crashed and burned in the Namibian desert during development testing in 1993
    XP2 - MIRA crash test car, later crushed
    #004 or #005 - crashed by a mechanic in Brunei, salvaged for parts only according to sources
    #010 - crashed by Bernd Pischetsrieder in 1999, then President of BMW and "written off"
    #017 - crashed by Christopher Dawes on a rain slicked road in Essex. He and his two passengers perished in the ensuing fire
    #033 - crashed by its German owner on the Autobahn. He chose not to have McLaren repair the car and instead ordered a new one.

There are a lot of other F1s that have been crashed, even a few multiple times like this one, but as far as I know the rest have been repaired leaving us with 100 total F1s in existence today.

Rowan's car is unlikely to be totaled in the true sense of the word. These cars are very fixable and their present values ensure there is a good reason and typically enough insurance money to have McLaren put them back together good as new.

>8^)
    ER

Quote Originally Posted by Peloton25 View Post
    I'm fairly certain that of the 106 that were built in total, including GTRs, LMs and GTs, that we've lost a total of 6.

XP1 - first prototype, crashed and burned in the Namibian desert during development testing in 1993
    XP2 - MIRA crash test car, later crushed
    #004 or #005 - crashed by a mechanic in Brunei, salvaged for parts only according to sources
    #010 - crashed by Bernd Pischetsrieder in 1999, then President of BMW and "written off"
    #017 - crashed by Christopher Dawes on a rain slicked road in Essex. He and his two passengers perished in the ensuing fire
    #033 - crashed by its German owner on the Autobahn. He chose not to have McLaren repair the car and instead ordered a new one.

There are a lot of other F1s that have been crashed, even a few multiple times like this one, but as far as I know the rest have been repaired leaving us with 100 total F1s in existence today.

Rowan's car is unlikely to be totaled in the true sense of the word. These cars are very fixable and their present values ensure there is a good reason and typically enough insurance money to have McLaren put them back together good as new.

>8^)
    ER
    Thank you, I knew for certain you would have the answer
    And yes, the Blackadder car looks fully repairable and I assume will be.

btw. heading to Pebble etc in the coming 14 days?
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

I don't plan to be there this year but might find my way up there at least for a day to hit the Historic Races perhaps. Either way, I hope you gentlemen have a very nice time and as always, I look forward to the excellent UCP coverage.

>8^)
    ER

Whatever happened to that silver F1 that burned up a few years ago in California?
    I'm dropping out to create a company that starts with motorcycles, then cars, and forty years later signs a legendary Brazilian driver who has a public and expensive feud with his French teammate.

Quote Originally Posted by Peloton25 View Post
    I don't plan to be there this year but might find my way up there at least for a day to hit the Historic Races perhaps. Either way, I hope you gentlemen have a very nice time and as always, I look forward to the excellent UCP coverage.

>8^)
    ER
    thanks, we'll do our best. Hope to see you on Saturday then.

Thread Information