Page 74 of 82 FirstFirst ... 24647273747576 ... LastLast
Results 1,096 to 1,110 of 1228

Thread: The State of The Car

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-g...-idUSKBN20B04X

GM exits from Australia and New Zealand markets.

Makes bad cars? No one buys them. Let's just make more SUVS! Profit?

Not only Holden is being terminated and GM is exiting AU & NZ. GM is leaving all RHD markets altogether.

Whatever, except for the Camaro (and perhaps the Suburban / Tahoe) there is barely anything interesting in their portfolio.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    Not only Holden is being terminated and GM is exiting AU & NZ. GM is leaving all RHD markets altogether.

Whatever, except for the Camaro (and perhaps the Suburban / Tahoe) there is barely anything interesting in their portfolio.
    So not even going to sell the Corvette?

Wow, how far the mighty has fallen. This is what GM does- make a good effort at an experiment- Saturn, Chevy Volt, Fiero, etc, dabble in it a little while, say they tried and then abandon it just when they start to iron out the kinks.

Realistically speaking, the US government should have let it fold in 2008.

Speaking of which...

The new Mini Cooper JCW can be optioned up to $42k.

https://jalopnik.com/the-2019-mini-j...-pr-1841313262

I can buy 2 Honda Fits for that money.

No wonder Mini Cooper is tanking.

Quote Originally Posted by NSXType-R View Post
    So not even going to sell the Corvette?

Wow, how far the mighty has fallen. This is what GM does- make a good effort at an experiment- Saturn, Chevy Volt, Fiero, etc, dabble in it a little while, say they tried and then abandon it just when they start to iron out the kinks.

Realistically speaking, the US government should have let it fold in 2008.
    Well... I read somewhere else that apparently GM remains committed to a RHD Corvette, but I wonder what is the point...
    Speaking of which...

The new Mini Cooper JCW can be optioned up to $42k.

https://jalopnik.com/the-2019-mini-j...-pr-1841313262

I can buy 2 Honda Fits for that money.

No wonder Mini Cooper is tanking.
    I stopped reading at "a 1290kg car with 230bhp is not fast".

It is.

The end.
    Visca Catalunya!

I mean, the Corvette is always interesting, although not the most practical choice. The new Chevy Silverado just makes me want to vomit.

Well... I read somewhere else that apparently GM remains committed to a RHD Corvette, but I wonder what is the point...

I stopped reading at "a 1290kg car with 230bhp is not fast".

It is.

The end.
    Corvette doesn't really have meaningful sales outside of the USA. I doubt it'd be worth its while to make it RHD. If it did it would be interesting up against the 4.0 Boxster

Millenial car reviewers have never driven an underpowered 2nd gen Accord on the highway before. But that Mini Cooper is seriously overpriced.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Corvette doesn't really have meaningful sales outside of the USA. I doubt it'd be worth its while to make it RHD. If it did it would be interesting up against the 4.0 Boxster
    Nah, the four litre Porsche is a better option.

The Corvette was fine when it was a two seater muscle car. A bit of performance, simplicity and flamboyance. The mid-engined version looks like it is trying too hard.
    Millenial car reviewers have never driven an underpowered 2nd gen Accord on the highway before. But that Mini Cooper is seriously overpriced.
    Being able to be optioned up to 42 grand is not the same as having to pay 42 grand to get one.

That Mini is low 30 grand car tops. Think of it as a front wheel drive, 230bhp, 2+2 sports coupé and it suddenly makes more sense.

Do not get carried away by the fact that it somewhat looks like practical, economy, city car.

I am fond of the Mk 1 supercharged Cooper S. If this is anything like it, it could be a riot.
    Visca Catalunya!

https://www.carscoops.com/2020/02/sc...k-on-the-road/

No shit Sherlock!

On the other hand, I drive a junior expensive and fast German car. Does this make me a twat?
    Visca Catalunya!

https://www.carscoops.com/2020/02/sc...k-on-the-road/

No shit Sherlock!

On the other hand, I drive a junior expensive and fast German car. Does this make me a twat?
    When you look in the mirror, sometimes you don't like what you see.

Dammit! There I was thinking I was a nice bloke in a fast Bimmer but alas no...

Actually what has made me better and nicer on the road is me getting older. I still drive fast, but it is a different type of fast.

Although I have always been used to (moderately) high performance cars it is a good thing that I have had this car in my mid-30's rather than 10 or 15 years ago...
    Visca Catalunya!

Nah, the four litre Porsche is a better option.

The Corvette was fine when it was a two seater muscle car. A bit of performance, simplicity and flamboyance. The mid-engined version looks like it is trying too hard.

Being able to be optioned up to 42 grand is not the same as having to pay 42 grand to get one.

That Mini is low 30 grand car tops. Think of it as a front wheel drive, 230bhp, 2+2 sports coupé and it suddenly makes more sense.

Do not get carried away by the fact that it somewhat looks like practical, economy, city car.

I am fond of the Mk 1 supercharged Cooper S. If this is anything like it, it could be a riot.
    Oh yes, between the two I'd still get the Porsche. It's nice to have options though.

Yes, I know the Mini can be optioned to 42k, regardless of which I still think it's poor value for the money even when it starts lower.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLcCPsnLlaE

I'm surprised Harry seems to really like the Tesla Model 3, iPad on dash and all. I would have thought he would have hated it. Seems like most of his praise is on the charging stations and how many they offer, and I do give them credit where credit is due.

I find it hilarious that there aren't any Teslas in the Hideout, and it goes to show this forum attracts a certain crowd.

I find it hilarious that there aren't any Teslas in the Hideout, and it goes to show this forum attracts a certain crowd.
    You are always invited to add any missing vehicles in the HideOut
    Last edited by Man of Steel; 03-12-2020 at 09:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
    When you look in the mirror, sometimes you don't like what you see.
    I am curious what the stereotype of the ShitiGolf driver is in the GTA. In Montreal, they always seem lost, but then again, so does everyone else.

Actually this is a fascinating thought experiment. What do you think are the stereotypes of those who drive the same vehicles as you do?

I'll start and I'm not confident that I'll like the pattern that emerges.

Cars

1985 Toyota Celica Supra
    Stereotype: Gen Xer with whatever that distinct style of goatee is. Kinda loud and boorish. Enjoys telling people they have a Supra and neglecting to mention that it isn't the fast one.
    Me: Millennial who will be able to grow facial hair in about 2050. Softspoken. Perversely enjoys telling people that I have a Supra and mentioning that it isn't the fast one.

1990 Saab 900 SPG
    Stereotype: An odd combination of Birkenstocks and a Members Only jacket. Rabid devotion to Saab's alternative, and often worse, solutions to engineering solutions. Loves the '80s turboness and practicality.
    Me: Israeli bootleg Birkenstocks that I wear around the house because I'm embarrassed by them elsewhere. Bemused by Saab's solutions when driving and beholding but frustrated as hell when working on the car. I love the '80s turboness and appreciate the practicality. Regards Saab's three-spokes with suspicion because they violate all known laws of physics and aesthetics and... look good.

2002 Honda Insight
    Stereotype: Thinks 64mph is light speed and near unobtainable. Especially with the manual, this really reveals me to be the cheapest of the cheap; tightfisted to the point of arm pump. Granola and the aformentioned 'Stocks. A different sort of unfortunate facial hair than the Supra.
    Me: Thinks 64mph is light speed and near unobtainable... in the Insight. Everything else, I drive quickly. I am very cheap. See above RE: Birkenstocks and facial hair.

Motorcycles

1985 Honda Interceptor VF500F
    Stereotype: I don't meet too many people with '80s sportbikes and I wasn't around for the first go 'round, so I'm not sure what to say for this one.
    Me: I like this bike despite its Captain American paintjob and three spokes. I also like that it has a V4 and four carburetors. If a vehicle must be carbureted, it should have three or more.

1990 Honda CB-1 (spread into many pieces...)
    Stereotype: Then: '90s yuppie. Now: In pieces like every other bike of the era.
    Me: In pieces like every other bike of the era.

Bicycles (I thought I'd include these because I do much of my commuting on them, even if I'm not into bicycles, per se.

Specialized Rockhopper
    Stereotype: Big tires, soft suspension, dirt bike fenders, and loud paint: the ultimate poseur machine. An SUV on two wheels.
    Me: As my commuter, the above qualities help me avoid potholes (and get a better workout), mitigate potholes, stay clean and dry, and not get hit by cars. Despite its rational and practical application, I still feel like a poseur.

LeMond Maillot Jaune
    Stereotype: "Designed" by one of the few professional cyclists not smart enough to take steroids, this mustard and ketchup machine screams spandex and upper-body atrophy.
    Me:Makes me feel like a poseur and rattles my teeth out.

Trends:
    A full 40% of my (powered) vehicles are from '85, 40% are from '90, and 60% have three-spoked wheels. All-in-all I have twenty wheels and twenty-one cylinders. What this means, I don't know.
    "Kimi, can you improve on your [race] finish?"
    "No. My Finnish is fine; I am from Finland. Do you have any water?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLcCPsnLlaE

I'm surprised Harry seems to really like the Tesla Model 3, iPad on dash and all. I would have thought he would have hated it. Seems like most of his praise is on the charging stations and how many they offer, and I do give them credit where credit is due.

Harry is a bit of an environmentalist and does like his tech.

Thread Information