Page 76 of 79 FirstFirst ... 26667475767778 ... LastLast
Results 1,126 to 1,140 of 1185

Thread: The State of The Car

  1. #1126
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    East Coast of the United States
    Posts
    11,845
    Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
    Hope you're well NSX. Must be tough on the front lines.
    Thanks, I appreciate it. Things are quieting down, but I feel like a 2nd wave can be imminent at any point.

  2. #1127
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    East Coast of the United States
    Posts
    11,845
    Another large luxury sedan dies.

    https://www.theverge.com/2020/7/1/21...on-sedans-suvs

    At this rate, we should rename this thread The State of the Crossover.

  3. #1128
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    └A & Connecticlump
    Posts
    5,299
    I noticed a Mk. Z today and thought it was a handsome car; the Continental is (was) too. Too bad they were built on the woeful Taurus platform.

    The State of the Electric Crossover is strong and largely vaporous.
    Last edited by f6fhellcat13; 07-02-2020 at 09:16 AM.
    "Kimi, can you improve on your [race] finish?"
    "No. My Finnish is fine; I am from Finland. Do you have any water?"

  4. #1129
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    10,173
    Quote Originally Posted by NSXType-R View Post
    Another large luxury sedan dies.

    https://www.theverge.com/2020/7/1/21...on-sedans-suvs

    At this rate, we should rename this thread The State of the Crossover.
    It was cool in concept, but who was gonna buy it?

    Quote Originally Posted by f6fhellcat13 View Post
    I noticed a Mk. Z today and though it was a handsome car; the Continental is (was) too. Too bad they were built on the woeful Taurus platform.

    The State of the Electric Crossover is strong and largely vaporous.
    But does anyone (i.e. general consumers) want electric crossovers yet?

    I have a feeling there is a bit of pent up demand but not enough to boost carmakers after this pandemic.

    Sergio was right; more consolidation was needed. Boring/sad. Manufacturing is getting hosed again. Big layoffs, redundancies, early retirement packages. Radioactive industry its becoming in Ontario (and many other places) sadly.

  5. #1130
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    East Coast of the United States
    Posts
    11,845
    Quote Originally Posted by f6fhellcat13 View Post
    I noticed a Mk. Z today and thought it was a handsome car; the Continental is (was) too. Too bad they were built on the woeful Taurus platform.

    The State of the Electric Crossover is strong and largely vaporous.
    I am embarrassed to say I didn't realize the MKZ existed until today.

    Taurus definitely was a strange car, it was too big on the outside but way too small on the inside from what I remembered. I will say they're the last sedan to be used for the NYPD so I'll miss it at least for that.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
    It was cool in concept, but who was gonna buy it?

    But does anyone (i.e. general consumers) want electric crossovers yet?

    I have a feeling there is a bit of pent up demand but not enough to boost carmakers after this pandemic.

    Sergio was right; more consolidation was needed. Boring/sad. Manufacturing is getting hosed again. Big layoffs, redundancies, early retirement packages. Radioactive industry its becoming in Ontario (and many other places) sadly.
    Everyone wants to be fuel efficient and save the environment but end up buying heavy crossovers. I'm not sure why public perception goes that way. I get the macho and higher ride height thing, but it's really ridiculous.

    As far as mergers are concerned, I agree with that. With the way the economy is going, who's going to buy a new vehicle, any vehicle, crossover or sedan? I don't think we need the big 3 in Detroit. Ford and GM is enough, Fiat/Chrysler doesn't make anything that sells well other than the RAM and Jeep Wrangler. Fiat might as well fold.

    Nissan's offerings are all old and no one would buy their cars when Kia/Hyundai makes overall stronger products.

    Mitsubishi could disappear and no one would bat an eye. The only thing I'd miss are their work box trucks.

    With Honda, Acura could probably disappear too and no one would miss any of their cars other than the MDX/RDX.

    As far as the Italians go, Lancia and Alfa Romeo could both go under and no one would notice.

    Lots more consolidation to go I'm afraid.

  6. #1131
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    └A & Connecticlump
    Posts
    5,299
    It speaks volumes (and I agree) that you didn't mention Volkswagen.
    "Kimi, can you improve on your [race] finish?"
    "No. My Finnish is fine; I am from Finland. Do you have any water?"

  7. #1132
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    East Coast of the United States
    Posts
    11,845
    Quote Originally Posted by f6fhellcat13 View Post
    It speaks volumes (and I agree) that you didn't mention Volkswagen.
    VW I didn't want to get into yet. Seat could go away too.

  8. #1133
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Barcelona
    Posts
    33,492
    It's funny that the consolidation necessity stems from the fact that making cars is increasingly getting expensive... but with the EV revolution they will be cheaper to make and not as much consolidation will be needed. But by then any differentiation in the mechanicals will be a moot point...

    As far as EVs are concerned, though, the convience hurdles are still too big for them to become a viable proposition.

    Saying that no one would notice Alfa Romeo, Lancia* or Seat disappearing is a very US-centric view of the matter. On the same page I could say that no one would be bothered if Chevrolet disappea... wait Chevrolet already went and nobody was even bothered.

    *Lancia has already almost disappeared... despite managing to somehow outsell the entire Alfa Romeo range with one car and one market...
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

  9. #1134
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    East Coast of the United States
    Posts
    11,845
    Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    It's funny that the consolidation necessity stems from the fact that making cars is increasingly getting expensive... but with the EV revolution they will be cheaper to make and not as much consolidation will be needed. But by then any differentiation in the mechanicals will be a moot point...

    As far as EVs are concerned, though, the convience hurdles are still too big for them to become a viable proposition.

    Saying that no one would notice Alfa Romeo, Lancia* or Seat disappearing is a very US-centric view of the matter. On the same page I could say that no one would be bothered if Chevrolet disappea... wait Chevrolet already went and nobody was even bothered.

    *Lancia has already almost disappeared... despite managing to somehow outsell the entire Alfa Romeo range with one car and one market...
    Oh for sure this is a USDM centric view of things. Most of VW's range overlaps with Audi, it could do with some cost cutting too. Other than the exotic cars, most of the Italian car manufacturers could probably disappear.

    GM has way too many brands I agree, but my comments were more based on the overall health of the company. GM is definitely not healthy, but I see it as in better shape than Fiat/Chrysler is. I wouldn't miss anything Chevrolet makes other than the C8 anyway. The Camaro I never really liked and their trucks I miss least. The whole F150 lineup could disappear too (mostly because I don't like them, not because they don't make money. They make Ford plenty of money, I know.). Why they've made pickups so big and so ugly so quickly I cannot fathom (mostly because they can get away with it and emission controls are more lax with bigger trucks, I know).

    When you drive a 2001 Subaru Forester, a mid sized crossover and the hood line of most pickups is already at my head when I'm seated, you know they're way too big.
    Last edited by NSXType-R; 07-04-2020 at 09:22 AM.

  10. #1135
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Barcelona
    Posts
    33,492
    Well, one of the interesting upcoming mergers will be PSA-FCA. They will have the following brands:
    • Fiat
    • Lancia
    • Alfa Romeo
    • Maserati
    • Ferrari
    • Dodge
    • Ram
    • Chrysler
    • Peugeot
    • CitroŽn
    • Opel
    • Jeep
    • Iveco

    This is going to be interesting to handle...
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

  11. #1136
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Tallinn, Estonia
    Posts
    2,808
    But wait! There is even more!

    • DS
    • Vauxhall
    • Abarth

  12. #1137
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    └A & Connecticlump
    Posts
    5,299
    "Kimi, can you improve on your [race] finish?"
    "No. My Finnish is fine; I am from Finland. Do you have any water?"

  13. #1138
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    10,173
    How many will survive?! Place your bets now!

    Part of why I dipped outta automotive is because I saw little future in that industry in this province.

    Funnily, I went into transit, which was going gangbusters until, oh, about mid March.

  14. #1139
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Barcelona
    Posts
    33,492
    Quote Originally Posted by Revo View Post
    But wait! There is even more!

    • DS
    • Vauxhall
    • Abarth
    Completely true, I forgot about those.
    Jeep is only worth so much because most of their cars are based on tarted up Fiat 127 bits...

    It was like this time when Opel suddenly went from loss-leader to a money-maker when trasitioning from GM to PSA just because they stopped burdening them with engineering costs without paying any royalties in the books...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
    How many will survive?! Place your bets now!

    Part of why I dipped outta automotive is because I saw little future in that industry in this province.

    Funnily, I went into transit, which was going gangbusters until, oh, about mid March.
    Many will disappear, I bet on Lancia and DS first.

    Oh and by the way, could be worse. Here the second biggest car plant (Nissan) just closed. Now pretty much it is only SEAT...
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

  15. #1140
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    91
    Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    Well, one of the interesting upcoming mergers will be PSA-FCA. They will have the following brands:
    • Fiat
    • Lancia
    • Alfa Romeo
    • Maserati
    • Ferrari
    • Dodge
    • Ram
    • Chrysler
    • Peugeot
    • CitroŽn
    • Opel
    • Jeep
    • Iveco

    This is going to be interesting to handle...
    Ferrari is no longer part of FCA.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 3 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 3 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Lotus City Car Concept
    By Ecnelis in forum Matt's Hi-Res Hide-Out
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 10-06-2010, 03:25 PM
  2. how to be a ricer
    By C4Power in forum Car comparison
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: 02-03-2009, 05:02 PM
  3. Car of the Year Awards 2008 [PLEASE READ FIRST]
    By fisetdavid26 in forum Awards
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 12-04-2008, 02:33 PM
  4. She drives like a Chick
    By Niko_Fx in forum Multimedia
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 07-20-2005, 06:22 PM
  5. Manual Transmission
    By Orefus in forum Technical forums
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 07-16-2005, 10:36 AM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •