Page 71 of 82 FirstFirst ... 2161697071727381 ... LastLast
Results 1,051 to 1,065 of 1228

Thread: The State of The Car

Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
    It is better to under promise and over deliver than vice-versa. I like their policy.

The manufacturer numbers are kinda bogus anyways. Road tests are more accurate, but as we know, those cars are/were often juiced in anycase (Ferrari, 60s muscle, I presume many more).
    That's fair. Who knows, maybe they like testing the cars on a surface with absurd amounts of friction, or they swapped out the tires for Michelin Pilot Super Sports, etc etc.

Underpromise and overdeliver. That's a good policy by any book.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    In my opinion some cars have gotten to fast for its own good. Trying to channel 340 angry bavarian horsepowers through the rear wheels and have fun in a mountain pass and not crash is far too much for my talent level.

I understand that the four wheel drive Merc is far easier to drive fast, but must be far less involving... I'd still consider one to replace the M140i though.

Tis true. The Merc hot hatch costs half as much as the old Porsche Turbo. And that is without taking into account inflation or the fact that VAT rates were lower 15 years ago.
    Attachment 430890
    The big difference is that the Mercedes looks like ass. Even when placed next to a 996 broken egg era 911.

Quote Originally Posted by Revo View Post
    Oh yes, base Carrera is a plenty fast car.

In the attachment is a test results for Carrera 4S, done by German magazine Auto, Motor und Sport. Tested car was fitted with Sport Chrono package and this time it was slower than Porsche's official figure.
    Haha, it's all a numbers game.

This is the type of garbage we have to deal with now...

Mercedes insisted on forcing me to open the AMG site full screen.

And then listed the A45 AMG as a coupe only.

On a side note, I didn't even know Mercedes made a 4 door version of the AMG GT. It still looks massively bloated. I'm not sure why they did, as the CLS still exists, no?
    Attached Images Attached Images

For some reason US car magazines always tend to achieve amazing performance results of test cars while EU car magazines rarely match the manufacturer estimates...
    Quote Originally Posted by NSXType-R View Post
    The big difference is that the Mercedes looks like ass. Even when placed next to a 996 broken egg era 911.
    Except for the Panamericana grille it looks... normal to me.

In fact if you keep it standard and debadge it only the quad exhaust gives a hint that it is something that has a 911 beat to sixty... It is exciting to have this much performance in what is essentially a family hatchback... in a way.

(Oh and the AMG GT 4 door thing is little more than a restyled CLS)
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by NSXType-R View Post
    On a side note, I didn't even know Mercedes made a 4 door version of the AMG GT. It still looks massively bloated. I'm not sure why they did, as the CLS still exists, no?
    New CLS is sold at the lower end of market without its range topping AMG 63 model. AMG GT 4-door Coupe is supposed to be sportier and pricier alternative to the "basic" CLS.

It is a perfect example of Germans' niche-within-a-niche obsession.

For some reason US car magazines always tend to achieve amazing performance results of test cars while EU car magazines rarely match the manufacturer estimates...
    See, here is an interesting result. Us Canadians also get fed the US car magazine results. Reality is not always what it seems.

In fact if you keep it standard and debadge it only the quad exhaust gives a hint that it is something that has a 911 beat to sixty... It is exciting to have this much performance in what is essentially a family hatchback... in a way.

(Oh and the AMG GT 4 door thing is little more than a restyled CLS)
    Debadging is the way to go.

No one does it here (as you Euros do) as your purchasing your E AMG 53 is a vital step in the dick wagging contest that is the rat race of North America (if I can speak for North Americans and the Rest of Canada).

https://www.carscoops.com/2019/12/20...h-over-250-hp/

This is shaping up to be very interesting. I hope they don't price it out of the market...
    Visca Catalunya!

Isn't a 1.6 L 3 cylinder with 250 hp kinda counterfactual though? Surely a 4 would make more sense at that point? Anyways, seems cool. We won't get it.

Apparently the 3-pot is to be able to homologate it into R5, as the regulations require 3 cylinder engines.

On other news, driving slowly is dangerous as it turns out.

https://www.carscoops.com/2019/12/sl...n-ever-before/
    Visca Catalunya!

On other news, driving slowly is dangerous as it turns out.

https://www.carscoops.com/2019/12/sl...n-ever-before/
    Yeah, no kidding. Ever try to merge onto the highway with someone driving half the speed limit when everyone else is going 10 over the speed limit?

Either that or they have no clue that the stoplight ahead of them is going to turn red from yellow and they want to decide to stop all of a sudden but have no clue about the 18 wheeler or bus behind them.

Infuriating. I've noticed people are increasingly having worse and worse situational awareness of what's going on around them. Potentially because people are driving distracted.

Driving at normal speeds isn't dfficult. If someone can't drive without being an obstacle they shouldn't drive at all.

Oh, and at night (say from midnight to 5am) speed limits outside of the city should be lifted.
    Visca Catalunya!

Eh I'd like to see something like 140-160 on certain segments of certain highways in certain conditions.

The main highway (401) across Toronto runs West-East from the US border at Detroit out to Montreal and beyond; it's limit is 100.

It is as straight as an arrow. Maddening.

I have complained before and will complain again that the largest province in the second-largest country on Earth thinks that people should drive around at 62 mph is indeed maddening.
    "Kimi, can you improve on your [race] finish?"
    "No. My Finnish is fine; I am from Finland. Do you have any water?"

Quote Originally Posted by f6fhellcat13 View Post
    I have complained before and will complain again that the largest province in the second-largest country on Earth thinks that people should drive around at 62 mph is indeed maddening.
    As from early next year, in one of the smallest countries on Earth, the speed limit on all highways will be reduced from 120/130 km/h to 100 km/h during daytime.

Also, as from October this year, regular gasoline fuel holds up to 10% bio ethanol to ensure less pollution. In general, this fuel is not suitable for cars built prior to 2000 as the ethanol will desintegrate parts like fuel hoses etc.

In a lot of major cities, older (diesel) cars are forbidden. There is a discission going on to apply the same rule for oldtimers and classic cars. In Belgium that is already the case in some areas. I remember a story of a man with a classic Porsche 911 who suddenly was unable to leave his garage, as the street outside was turned into a "green zone".

Welcome to the Netherlands and our sister country Belgium. We will make a global change!

So "the state of the car" here, I am not very optimistic regarding the future fun factor of buying and owning an older car (which still has my interest).

Honestly I couldn't care less about most modern cars, a few exceptions given (but that should be clear by now)

We can't stop advancing technology and global environmental policies, but electric cars (and bland designs) just don't work for me.

I guess within 50 to 75 years personal ownership of cars will be forbidden. Mankind will have only public transport in the form of eggshaped humming cocoons, floating across the 'motorway' ...
    Last edited by Man of Steel; 12-26-2019 at 02:36 AM.

I think people need to realize the full breakdown of emissions. Cars actually make a smaller portion of total CO2 emissions, a lot of it is coming from ships and power plants and cleaning those up and moving to nuclear power would actually make a big difference. But after the Fukushima Nuclear melt down, nuclear is no longer a viable option for a lot of countries just as a basic reflexive measure. Renewables like solar and wind are not capable of replacing full on nuclear reactors.

Man of Steel, I actually like older cars more and more as I age as I feel the farther out of production a car is, the more difficult it is to keep them running as parts are becoming more and more rare. Electric cars also don't work for me either, range and charging is always a concern for me.

Here in NYC, I've been pretty annoyed at the traffic calming measures as the mayor here thinks placing bike lanes and renting out bikes is going to make people take up biking and decrease cars on the road. People drive cars because there isn't good public transportation. We're not going to pick up bikes just because they're readily available.

Quote Originally Posted by Man of Steel View Post
    As from early next year, in one of the smallest countries on Earth, the speed limit on all highways will be reduced from 120/130 km/h to 100 km/h during daytime.

Also, as from October this year, regular gasoline fuel holds up to 10% bio ethanol to ensure less pollution. In general, this fuel is not suitable for cars built prior to 2000 as the ethanol will desintegrate parts like fuel hoses etc.

In a lot of major cities, older (diesel) cars are forbidden. There is a discission going on to apply the same rule for oldtimers and classic cars. In Belgium that is already the case in some areas. I remember a story of a man with a classic Porsche 911 who suddenly was unable to leave his garage, as the street outside was turned into a "green zone".

Welcome to the Netherlands and our sister country Belgium. We will make a global change!

So "the state of the car" here, I am not very optimistic regarding the future fun factor of buying and owning an older car (which still has my interest).

Honestly I couldn't care less about most modern cars, a few exceptions given (but that should be clear by now)

We can't stop advancing technology and global environmental policies, but electric cars (and bland designs) just don't work for me.

I guess within 50 to 75 years personal ownership of cars will be forbidden. Mankind will have only public transport in the form of eggshaped humming cocoons, floating across the 'motorway' ...
    I mean in my ideal world, I'd probably have 3 cars in future (speak about wasteful)...

A modern performance car, a classic one, and then a modern efficient car for most driving. The others would be used sparingly.

Is that so bad?

Thread Information