Page 73 of 82 FirstFirst ... 23637172737475 ... LastLast
Results 1,081 to 1,095 of 1228

Thread: The State of The Car

Quote Originally Posted by NSXType-R View Post
    Urban sprawl is definitely an issue, and you can tell I live in the outer boroughs. With the inclusion of the Long Island Rail Road and Metro North, you can get to the fringes of NYC very quickly, all within an hour or two. But you can also take the busses and trains for 2 hours and still be within NYC proper, so the transit really isn't equally distributed in NYC.

NYC is still reeling from the austerity measures from the 70s as they deferred maintenance for almost 2 decades. In some stations, the ceiling is literally collapsing onto passengers. The NY state governor even declared a state of emergency because of the poor state of the system. I think you'd rather have an incomplete system than a system that is falling in on you. And god help you take the 4, 5, or 6 train during rush hour, it's as bad as traveling during rush hour in Tokyo. I haven't even gotten to the point that most of the subway system sits under the water table and that pumps need to be on all the time just to keep it dry. The system can't handle anything more than a heavy drizzle and tunnels flood all the time.
    OK, so I am with you in this. I was a bit oversold on how dirty the NYC subway was before I visited. It certainly isn't super clean though. Toronto stations are sometimes ratty and not up to new Euro or Japan standards, but the subway in NYC was just more... Busted/dilapidated?

I've actually been to Toronto 2-3 times, but I've never been to the city proper. I stayed at my uncle's house in Markham and Scarborough and I think that's pretty far from the city of Toronto. I've been to Montreal recently and rode it for a few stops and thought it was pleasant.
    Markham and Scarbs are kinda their own thing. Scarborough is now integrated into Toronto proper, but like where I live, the core is somewhat far. Transit doesn't serve the suburbs well, surprise surprise. Sprawl, once again.

Hit up downtown next time. It's like New York... But without all the stuff.

Montreal has pretty good coverage for the population; just the cars with rubber wheels are a bit herky jerky. There's s shit subway line in Scarborough that runs on it's own rolling stock with smaller cars, that reminds me of the Montreal metro, without rubber tires.

Good times.

I don't think Montreal or Toronto's transit system is built for the sheer volume of passengers per day, and that's understandable, there's a huge difference in population. I actually think the system would benefit from closing at night, at least once a week as I think the greatest cost to the system is labor costs of operating trains while people are working on tracks. All I remember from my trip to Toronto was the paranoia of staying off the private toll road, the 401 because I heard it was extremely expensive to pay if you don't have the radio tag to pay for it.
    TTC shuts down every night from about 2 AM (before last call, which is a problem) to 6 AM. Intermittent late night service was great in NYC. I loved being able to hop on the MTA at all hours. Grass is greener.

Yeah slight correction, the 407 is one of very few toll-roads in Ontario, so unlike many states in the US, we are not culturally acclimated to a toll-road. No one uses it. The 401 is the main highway that is constantly jammed. The 407 was built North of the 401 to relieve congestion, then sold by the right-wing government of the day to balance the budget. So it has failed.

It cost $6 billion to build the 2nd Ave subway, and it's not even complete. It's just the first of three phases and it's only been extended 2 miles.
    The best time to plant a tree was 40 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
    OK, so I am with you in this. I was a bit oversold on how dirty the NYC subway was before I visited. It certainly isn't super clean though. Toronto stations are sometimes ratty and not up to new Euro or Japan standards, but the subway in NYC was just more... Busted/dilapidated?

Markham and Scarbs are kinda their own thing. Scarborough is now integrated into Toronto proper, but like where I live, the core is somewhat far. Transit doesn't serve the suburbs well, surprise surprise. Sprawl, once again.

Hit up downtown next time. It's like New York... But without all the stuff.

Montreal has pretty good coverage for the population; just the cars with rubber wheels are a bit herky jerky. There's s shit subway line in Scarborough that runs on it's own rolling stock with smaller cars, that reminds me of the Montreal metro, without rubber tires.

Good times.

TTC shuts down every night from about 2 AM (before last call, which is a problem) to 6 AM. Intermittent late night service was great in NYC. I loved being able to hop on the MTA at all hours. Grass is greener.

Yeah slight correction, the 407 is one of very few toll-roads in Ontario, so unlike many states in the US, we are not culturally acclimated to a toll-road. No one uses it. The 401 is the main highway that is constantly jammed. The 407 was built North of the 401 to relieve congestion, then sold by the right-wing government of the day to balance the budget. So it has failed.

The best time to plant a tree was 40 years ago.
    Oh yes, the NYC subway stations are ancient. Upkeep is spotty at best. The rich neighborhoods somehow seem to look most snazzy though, funny thing. Rubber tires would be a huge improvement to the NYC subway... but they seem to be bent on other things... like cell phone service in the tunnels.

https://gothamist.com/news/cell-wi-f...l-train-tunnel

I can't make this crap up, where are the priorities of the transit authority. The tunnels are literally falling apart and the only thing they can think of is more cell phone service.

If you ever want to look at cool neighborhoods, hang out in Flushing or Elmhurst. You can literally get food from 5 continents in a 5-8 block radius, it's insane. But again, it's hard to get to. No surprise there.

Ah that's right, it's the 407. We had an ancient GPS unit when we went that was trying to be efficient and it took forever for it to reroute us because the 407 was the fastest way to get where we're going.

It's unfortunate, but I wish we actually funded the MTA properly so we wouldn't have to balk at the cost of expansions to service.

https://jalopnik.com/the-mustang-fro...t-a-1840937700

That's an obscene amount of money for a ratty old Mustang from a mediocre movie.

For that price you either have an emotional attachment to it or intend to use it as a work of art.

It certainly isn't for driving.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    For that price you either have an emotional attachment to it or intend to use it as a work of art.

It certainly isn't for driving.
    Pretty much. All things being equal, having history or being a winning car in a race makes people place value on the specific car... even if it's in crap condition.

I listened to Harry Metcalfe talk about the Jaguar iPace and it seems like it's plagued by all the problems we've talked about ad nauseum here on the forums.

1. range anxiety
    2. cost

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CEyfCcAbtKU&t=1s

I don't think electric cars are anywhere close to being prime time yet, other than Tesla and I still have reservations about their products. Even if the Taycan is a great first stab at an electric car, the lack of a universal charging port hampers every new electric car out there. Add the slow state of charging right now and it seems highly unpalatable for anyone with longer ranger requirements. I think realistically speaking, electric cars are at least another 5-10 years out from widespread adoption at a minimum. If you use the Jaguar iPace as a very expensive and well appointed golf cart, what's the point of buying it over a traditionally powered vehicle of any other make.

EVs make a lot of sense right now in my mind for 2 car families.

Get a Hatch/Van for one, and an EV sedan. Bam.

If you're lucky, a 3rd coupe for fun.

EVs make a lot of sense right now in my mind for 2 car families.

Get a Hatch/Van for one, and an EV sedan. Bam.

If you're lucky, a 3rd coupe for fun.
    Right, as a 2nd or 3rd car, not as a primary car unless it's a Tesla.

Disagree (partly) on the range anxiety.

I do not need a car that can do 1000km before needing a fill up. I need a car that whenever it needs to stop for more go-juice, is full in five minutes.
    Visca Catalunya!

Disagree (partly) on the range anxiety.

I do not need a car that can do 1000km before needing a fill up. I need a car that whenever it needs to stop for more go-juice, is full in five minutes.
    That's part of it though. I don't want to take a 40 minute break every 200 miles just to charge up. Even if it's 50 miles I'm sure it might take around 10 minutes with a Tesla. With any of the other models, you're looking at least 15-20 minutes.

I had to sound off on this because of how absurd the plan is.

https://gothamist.com/news/expert-pa...porary-highway

NYC wants to improve traffic in NYC by removing a traffic lane in both directions on the BQE. Again, without considering the consequences or improving other forms of mass transportation. This is more a land grab from all the rich people living in the area that want a car free/noise free Brooklyn Heights, at the expense of everyone else. Parts of the highway actually narrow down to 2 lanes, taking out an extra lane would mean it's down to 1 lane. I have nothing against traffic mitigation, but this is incredibly short sighted to do something like this.

I had to sound off on this because of how absurd the plan is.

https://gothamist.com/news/expert-pa...porary-highway

NYC wants to improve traffic in NYC by removing a traffic lane in both directions on the BQE. Again, without considering the consequences or improving other forms of mass transportation. This is more a land grab from all the rich people living in the area that want a car free/noise free Brooklyn Heights, at the expense of everyone else. Parts of the highway actually narrow down to 2 lanes, taking out an extra lane would mean it's down to 1 lane. I have nothing against traffic mitigation, but this is incredibly short sighted to do something like this.
    This looks like some dystopian hell:

Capture.PNG

Good luck with that, BQE drivers!

This looks like some dystopian hell:

Good luck with that, BQE drivers!
    Yes, that's exactly how it looks like on a regular rush hour day. Going towards Manhattan, it narrows like the attached photo. One lane goes to the Brooklyn bridge, 2 lanes continue the BQE. It repeats the same pattern on the way up the Manhattan bridge.

Kitdy, the top of the "shelf" contains Brooklyn Heights park and is the backyard of multiple multimillion dollar rowhouses with breathtaking views of lower Manhattan. The BQE was built this way to avoid the destruction of those buildings. Now that the BQE's time is up, they'd rather clog up local streets by closing an extra lane than figure out what else they can do to mitigate traffic. The propagation of bike lanes already has me angry, as most bicyclists don't follow the rules of the roads or end up riding on the sidewalk even with a perfectly fine bike lane.

This really has me livid.
    Attached Images Attached Images

The propagation of bike lanes already has me angry, as most bicyclists don't follow the rules of the roads or end up riding on the sidewalk even with a perfectly fine bike lane.
    This. So much this.

I thought Barcelona was the only city in the world which had this problem.
    Visca Catalunya!

This. So much this.

I thought Barcelona was the only city in the world which had this problem.
    Oh don't get me started. Nearly got run over yesterday by a guy on a silent electric bike that blew through a red light.

At least Barcelona doesn't get snow. We do and the bike lanes just become snow requisition lanes. Oh yeah, and no one uses them in the winter because maybe it's too damn cold out to bike.

I am wondering maybe someone knows how portable dvd-players fit to cars? I need to choose one, I have trips with my children a lot, I am choosing it for them. I have found few models review on jonsguide
    -deleted- may someone recommend me?
    Last edited by Duell; 02-03-2020 at 11:46 PM. Reason: You are not allowed to post hyperlinks commercial websites

Thread Information