Page 28 of 82 FirstFirst ... 1826272829303878 ... LastLast

Thread: The State of The Car

There's no point in having a fancy euro car if no one can recognise the badge.
    Life's too short to drive bad cars.

Just tell them your Ssangyong is German and used to be spelled ßangyong, prior to the '96 reforms.
    "Kimi, can you improve on your [race] finish?"
    "No. My Finnish is fine; I am from Finland. Do you have any water?"

Yes, and this Great Wall I have here is named after the old Berlin Wall.

Euro snobness is over rated. At home we have four cars, two Asian, two European. There's one that is an 80 grand V8-engined sports saloon. That doesn't count.

Of the remaining three, the Asians are good car and the European is utter rubbish.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Okay, I'm going to ask about collectors' cars here. Should cars ever cost millions and be considered as art?

I am asking because the guy that represents the Zagato family says cars that has his name are worth millions and that is why they will continue to survive in the video below, around the 6 minute mark or so.

I don't agree that they are investments, as he noted, however. A car that is an investment for the most part probably won't get driven.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97diAMksR14"]Zagato Embodies Essential Beauty (English Subtitles) - YouTube[/ame]

Personally, I think it's just because it's good for his business.

I mean yeah, the upkeep and maintenance certainly won't be cheap as they possibly have non-standard parts. And I also understand there's the exclusivity factor- the P4/5 is expensive because there is only one.

I think it shouldn't be expensive for the sake of being expensive.

Maybe I'm being a curmudgeon again, but I appreciate the mechanical aspects of the car being featured- the curves and design of the automobilel, and certainly the craftsmanship.

Is a Banksie worth more than the wall your local painter and decorator did when doing your room ? it's just paint and brush strokes

So yes, cars will be "collected" for their artistic value and their rarity.
    Sad , I agree, I'd rather see every car thrashed to an inch of it's life as the designer/builder first intended. BUT reality takes a grip and we have to cherish the beautiful lines etc and maintain the best by not (ab)using them.
    Sadly capitalism will then take over and they will start exchanging for larger sums.
    That's OK coz some of us remember the crash in classic car prices 20 years ago - friend had JUST finished a £70K restoration on a lovely E-type whose value BEFORE the crash was easily in the 120-130K and instead was only getting offers for £40K !! ouch
    It'll happen again, but it's all just risk investment by people with more money than sense or morality
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

The problem for a car is that to enjoy and use it you have to take out on the road, and therefore this can potentially cause damage to it. To enjoy a painting or an sculpture you just have to look at it, which normally causes no harm whatsoever.

I do not conceive having a car to not drive it, I mean what's the point, but if some people want to have their phenomenally expensive and rare cars as investments, locked away gathering dust, well what can we do to stop it?
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    ...well what can we do to stop it?
    Vigilantism.

The problem for a car is that to enjoy and use it you have to take out on the road, and therefore this can potentially cause damage to it. To enjoy a painting or an sculpture you just have to look at it, which normally causes no harm whatsoever.

I do not conceive having a car to not drive it, I mean what's the point, but if some people want to have their phenomenally expensive and rare cars as investments, locked away gathering dust, well what can we do to stop it?
    Yes, but if they take it out to show it off once in a while the valets will make sure to add the equivalent of several thousand miles of hard driving to it.

Quote Originally Posted by f6fhellcat13 View Post
    Yes, but if they take it out to show it off once in a while the valets will make sure to add the equivalent of several thousand miles of hard driving to it.
    I need to land a job as a valet in Villa d'Este.
    Visca Catalunya!

I need to land a job as a valet in Villa d'Este.
    They are truly the saviors of undriven automobiles.

I agree Ferrer ... "I do not conceive having a car to not drive it"

BUT, I can understand that to others the look may be more than the experience and so to tehm storing and observing is the pinnacle of auto ownership.

There are some cars I admit I just drooled over and a recent original Zagata bodied Lancai was one ...

Really could have just looked at it all day.

NOW, question, I have a model collection of my favourite looking cars.
    Do you collect models Ferrer ?
    If "yes", then ask yourself the question, if you had more money than sense would you prefer the full size model to look at ???? coz you cant drive those models
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

My humble and sorely missed Monaro CV8 was a perfect example. Many people would tell me I should put it in a garage and not drive it. I understood the sentiment but it was simply too much fun to drive and to pretty to lock away. And to my benefit the previous owner had done just that. Preserved my car for me until I bought it.
    I have to stop now. I am tearing up….
    "A string is approximately nine long."
    Egg Nogg 02-04-2005, 05:07 AM

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine View Post
    I understand the beauty, and the admiration. Nevertheless as I said in some other thread, I think that the prewar sculptures are unbeatable when it comes to sheer beauty, so this argument only applies to cars from before 1940 to me.

I did/do have a small collection a model cars and I liked to admire the beauty but I preferred to play with them up to the point of even breaking them. I was the kid making vroom vroom noises and imagining what it must be like to drive them while they moved down my imaginary mountain road in my bedroom.

I must be strange.
    Visca Catalunya!

I did/do have a small collection a model cars and I liked to admire the beauty but I preferred to play with them up to the point of even breaking them. I was the kid making vroom vroom noises and imagining what it must be like to drive them while they moved down my imaginary mountain road in my bedroom.

I must be strange.
    In that case, "strange" must be common around these parts because I was exactly the same. My collection's sadly been relegated to the loft these days since getting my own house. - I don't have a spare room where they would look good, rather than nerdy / childish, on display.
    "This is hardcore." - Evo's John Barker on the TVR Tuscan S

Thread Information