Page 3 of 82 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Thread: The State of The Car

Quote Originally Posted by NSXType-R View Post
    That's not a bad selection, but at least 11 of those cars are not available in the US market.
    Please explain why that is a criterion for including cars that are relevant.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    A more relevant US discussion would be why those 11 cars AREN'T available here.
    Never own more cars than you can keep charged batteries in...

Quote Originally Posted by csl177 View Post
    probably for the same reasons because of which we cannot buy Dodge Durangos or GMC trucks in Europe?

Anyway, I had a glance through the main points of this discussion and I think we should refrain from setting price ranges. The same cars are very much differently priced in various parts of the world, for instance for 30000 US dollar or 20k in Euro, I could barely buy a base version Golf in Holland....
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

I think this is more a big picture kinda thread than one that deals with specifics.

General trends, opinions, and conclusions on the current state of the automotive market and industry, and cars themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by csl177 View Post
    probably for the same reasons because of which we cannot buy Dodge Durangos or GMC trucks in Europe?
    Exactly.

I'm more concerned by lack of Mustangs and Challengers, though.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

I dorm at a college and I'd like to get mostly everything in one go.
    IMO, my advice in general for something like that is don't make it your restricting criteria. If you are moving stuff like that every day its another story(in which case you would need a van), but you move in and out of a dorm once or twice a year(I lived in a Dorm for 3 years in my college years), just get a buddy or parents to help you at the time, or rent a U-Haul. You don't want to be saddled with a car for that purpose alone and spoiled your fun rest of the time....especially if you are buying your own car.
    University of Toronto Formula SAE Alumni 2003-2007
    Formula Student Championship 2003, 2005, 2006
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

5 doors don't necessarily put an end to fun though.
    Visca Catalunya!

No, but getting a unnecessarily big car will...
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

What res RM?

I used to live at St. Mike College of UofT on St. Joseph and Bay. Engineering at UT don't have their own dorm so we are using other UT colleges' dorm...Its a long ass walk in the winter to class to College and St. George where all engineering classes are...After my Co-Op year I moved home and commuted on my 4th year from Mississauga...
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    Exactly.

I'm more concerned by lack of Mustangs and Challengers, though.
    We are now in Monterry using a Mustang GT...apart from the " thrill" you get when flooring it, it is not a car that would score high on my wish list for cars to import to Europe...after the " thrill" there is the constant thrubbing sound of the V8 which becomes rather irritating and then there is an absolute lack of any ride comfort. Maybe I am too old for a " sports-car".

and to answer Kitdy, the Mustang is only a marginal car in the big picture trend.

I'm not saying they're not relevant, I can't consider them if I ever wish to purchase them in North America right?

I'm not saying they're not relevant, I can't consider them if I ever wish to purchase them in North America right?
    yes, but when we are discusing the state of the car, is it a criterion whether a car is available in the USA or not?

Quote Originally Posted by RacingManiac View Post
    IMO, my advice in general for something like that is don't make it your restricting criteria. If you are moving stuff like that every day its another story(in which case you would need a van), but you move in and out of a dorm once or twice a year(I lived in a Dorm for 3 years in my college years), just get a buddy or parents to help you at the time, or rent a U-Haul. You don't want to be saddled with a car for that purpose alone and spoiled your fun rest of the time....especially if you are buying your own car.
    Well I also have to take in account I have a large family too. But I'll keep an eye out for other options too.

yes, but when we are discusing the state of the car, is it a criterion whether a car is available in the USA or not?
    Then no.

However, I feel the state of the car in the US is particularly worse than in anywhere else. I feel we're still SUV happy and the focus groups still think we like, need and want SUVs and crossovers. That's not really happening too much in Europe just because the streets are too narrow and you get better MPVs.

Then no.

However, I feel the state of the car in the US is particularly worse than in anywhere else. I feel we're still SUV happy and the focus groups still think we like, need and want SUVs and crossovers. That's not really happening too much in Europe just because the streets are too narrow and you get better MPVs.
    SUVs have slitghly increased in number here too, once you had offerings from non-premium makers. However with size constraints, as you mention, but especially fuel prices they certainly haven't caught up as much as in the US probably. There's also the type of roads we have to drive on.

Bear in mind though that the Nissan Qashqai is a best selling car in Europe.
    We are now in Monterry using a Mustang GT...apart from the " thrill" you get when flooring it, it is not a car that would score high on my wish list for cars to import to Europe...after the " thrill" there is the constant thrubbing sound of the V8 which becomes rather irritating and then there is an absolute lack of any ride comfort. Maybe I am too old for a " sports-car".
    Much like the Mini then, only with a better sound and more oomph and probably worse handling.

I'd want to lay my hands on a Boss 302 and use it here, see how it copes.
    Last edited by Ferrer; 08-15-2011 at 09:15 AM.
    Visca Catalunya!

Thread Information