Page 4 of 82 FirstFirst ... 234561454 ... LastLast

Thread: The State of The Car

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    Bear in mind though that the Nissan Qashqai is a best selling car in Europe.
    a WELL selling car of THE best selling car?
    And getting older I am increasingly understanding why people want to sit a little higher, and that is not so much because of the actual seating position, but just for easy access, you don't have to fold yourself in or out of the car.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Also, by sitting higher up(more up right) it gives you a feel of more airy/roominess.....Which is why MPV style car, even though their foot print maybe no more than the compact that they are based on, they feel more spacious....
    University of Toronto Formula SAE Alumni 2003-2007
    Formula Student Championship 2003, 2005, 2006
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    a WELL selling car of THE best selling car?
    And getting older I am increasingly understanding why people want to sit a little higher, and that is not so much because of the actual seating position, but just for easy access, you don't have to fold yourself in or out of the car.
    4th best YTD in Spain so far.

Second SUV is the Dacia Duster a long way behind.

For the easy acess there's always the MPV. Or the BMW 5er GT, should you be so inclined.
    Last edited by Ferrer; 08-15-2011 at 03:31 PM.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    4th best YTD in Spain so far.

Second SUV is the Dacia Duster a long way behind.

For the easy acess there's always the MPV. Or the BMW 5er GT, should you be so inclined.
    and there is of course the C5/C6, which you can pump up before you get in, should you be inclined.....
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

I'm still waiting for some bright mother****er to actually build an Atkinson-Diesel. The technology is here. VVT, VarioGeometry Turbos, and refinements to the Atkinson engine have made hybrids (I shudder to say this) a success, at least in part.

I am however a firm believer in that hybrids are merely a trend. Rather than either develop the IC engine further (such as the Atkinson-Diesel i have mentioned) or the Electric Vehicle, companies are settling on a less than optimal compromise. The prius yields only slightly better than average highway milage (I'm talking for the USA here, I know for a fact European diesels such as the Polo Blue Motion eclipse its milage by 100%, literally). The new LEAF yields only a 120 mile range. Good for cities yes, but I know for a fact that Americans will not be content with being chained to a power outlet. For what they are, EVs of today are for overpriced. The technology of the EV can be stretched with the majesty of carbon fiber and perhaps solar power, but even then they will still be high priced and will still have a very limited range.

I applaud Fiats Twin Air Twin Cylinder Engine. Nothing in my eyes is more ideal using todays technology.

I want to see the revetec continue its development, and am praying to see it in a production car within 15 years. And maybe if the stars align just right, it will be in air cooled Atkinson-Diesel trim
    "Don't think your time on bad things
    Just float your little mind around"
    Jimi Hendrix

Quote Originally Posted by Magnum9987 View Post
    I applaud Fiats Twin Air Twin Cylinder Engine. Nothing in my eyes is more ideal using todays technology.
    Test have actually shown that it's very sensible to throttle usage, and not all that frugal. The smaller TSi also got mixed results. Suprisingly (or not) one of the cars that got better results was the conventional Auris 1.6 Valvematic.
    Visca Catalunya!

All German cars have better "driving" features. All non-German cars have better "non-driving" features.

Discuss.
    Visca Catalunya!

GTR > All German.... /discussion....

lol

I guess there are some merit to it. Looking at the Americanized Jetta, even the bare bone model(I think its available for $14.9k USD, the 2.0 4 banger). It still has ABS, ESP, and TCS, even when it has no AC, or radio. I think a lot of Japanese econoboxes still has those as options, aside from maybe ABS. The presence of those being good or bad is debatable amongst enthusiasts, but definitely has value for average drivers.
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

I was thinking more in terms of hardware v gadgets and the general feel of the car. Lately I've been driving the Lancia Delta a lot, over 400km this week, and will continue to do so for the rest of the week. Being "reunited" with it I've "relearnt" that is a very nice car to go places in. The radio is excellent, the glass roof and opening sunroof, the seats, the suspension everything is geared towards making your journey easy and comfortable. However the steering is silly, the brakes stupid, it rolls badly, visibility is bad and it's been far too supersized to be driven in anything other than an easy open road.

Pretty much all of the german cars I've driven have been the exact opposite. Even the hateful Audis seem to have been designed to sustain high speeds and demanding driving conditions, if you gloss over the their understeer and the dead steering on some of them, but the brakes, steering, suspension and everything else certainly are geared towards it. Not to mention Mercs and nevermind BMWs. And yet they are less joyful and pleasing to go places with them. Gadgets and equipment seem to be worse and the ones that may be worthy cost a fortune.
    Visca Catalunya!

I think it has to do with also maybe their national standard for certification? Not knowing if there are any testing standard difference from TUV vs something like NHTSA, I am assuming since cars from Germany are rated to go on Autobahn, which means operating safety at the terminal speed of the car, which means it needs to have good high speed stability, good braking stability, ability to handle road disturbance at speed, and just a general confidence building demeanor at speed, that it trickles down and generally lead them to be better suited for enthusiasts vailue?
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

Quote Originally Posted by RacingManiac View Post
    I think it has to do with also maybe their national standard for certification? Not knowing if there are any testing standard difference from TUV vs something like NHTSA, I am assuming since cars from Germany are rated to go on Autobahn, which means operating safety at the terminal speed of the car, which means it needs to have good high speed stability, good braking stability, ability to handle road disturbance at speed, and just a general confidence building demeanor at speed, that it trickles down and generally lead them to be better suited for enthusiasts vailue?
    I think these "abilities" in german cars are vastly overrated. What you mention there is pretty much what every European car (German/French/Italian) can produce and probably most Japanese car as well.

We have 2 Peugeot 407 at work here(yes in US), we were developing some suspension system for those car as Peugeot was a customer interested in the system. When we finished the demo car and brought it back to Europe for demonstration to multiple EU OEMs(mostly Germans), they are all puzzled why we picked such a below average car for demo car. So even though we demonstrated vastly improved dynamics, they are not impressed as the stock car is rubbish....

I don't know if that is a common theme with French cars, but I guess the German think so....I am not the driver so I have no idea if the actual feel behind the wheel...

Personally, my only yard stick is what I've driven. Some decent Japanese cars(Infiniti G and Ms,), some appliance(Camry), and my current car, the GTI. The Infiniti is good. They are stable, good handling, but slightly incoherent near limit. Toyota is rubbish all together. GTI is predictable and stable at speed. But granted, GTI is probably the only car I've pushed really hard on.
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

The various Volvo 850s I've driven have had good brakes, good suspension, good visibility, good high speed stability/ride and good radios, so it's not just the germans.
    Life's too short to drive bad cars.

Quote Originally Posted by RacingManiac View Post

I don't know if that is a common theme with French cars, but I guess the German think so....
    you just said it....

Quote Originally Posted by pimento View Post
    The various Volvo 850s I've driven have had good brakes, good suspension, good visibility, good high speed stability/ride and good radios, so it's not just the germans.
    The Mini has an average radio, a sat nav system that's not simple, impossible suspension and there is pretty much no space in the back at all. However everything that's related to driving is top notch.

I also remember the Renault Scènic Mk 1 we had ages ago. Again, a nice place to be. But if you wanted to test the laws of physics not the car to be in. and something similar can be said for the Hyundai. Despite the entertaining handling, I must admit.
    Visca Catalunya!

Thread Information