Thread: Stutz Bearcat 1911-1925

Stutz Bearcat #2
    Attached Images Attached Images

Many thanks! I am slowly beginning to appreciate the cars of the teens and early twenties and this is one of my favorites so far.
    "Kimi, can you improve on your [race] finish?"
    "No. My Finnish is fine; I am from Finland. Do you have any water?"

What a gorgeous car. Didn't this car win one of the first Indy 500s. And if it did I can't imagine the provenance that the car carries with it. I saw an article a while back where they tested this car and they absolutely loved it even though it was almost 100 years old.

Am I right in seeing that this has 4 valves per cylinder? Thought that didnt come about till a while later?

An awesome looking car, love the way the cars from this era looked.
    I want to die in my sleep like my Grandma, not screaming like the other 3 people in her car.

There are 10 types of people in this world. People who understand binary and people who don't.

With a 360cid(6.0l) engine that had only four cylinders, I guess 4 valves per was the only way they could accommodate the massive amounts of air that the cylinders would need to suck in and push out on each intake and exhaust stroke.
    "Kimi, can you improve on your [race] finish?"
    "No. My Finnish is fine; I am from Finland. Do you have any water?"

Nice photos of America's first true sports car, Revo. Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by acfsambo View Post
    Am I right in seeing that this has 4 valves per cylinder? Thought that didnt come about till a while later?
    Yes, 4 valves per cylinder in a T head, not OHV. The first DOHC 4V was Peugeot's 1912 GP car and was an I-4 of almost 8 liters.

The finest engine (a personal favorite) from Stutz was the DV32 of 1931. A twin-cam 4V I-8, it was a design modified by Fred Deusenberg
    of Stutz engineer Charles Greuter's "Vertical Eight", which was a solid engine to begin with.
    Never own more cars than you can keep charged batteries in...

Quote Originally Posted by 250gto boy View Post
    What a gorgeous car. Didn't this car win one of the first Indy 500s. And if it did I can't imagine the provenance that the car carries with it. I saw an article a while back where they tested this car and they absolutely loved it even though it was almost 100 years old.
    According to Wikipedia, no. I knew it wasn't the first winner but I wasn't sure about the other years. The first winner was a Marmon in a similar yellow color.

^^^ It came in 11th, without any prior testing either... the car was completed just in time for the race.
    Stutz used the success to market his cars with the slogan "The car that made good in a day".

Quote Originally Posted by csl177 View Post
    Nice photos of America's first true sports car, Revo. Thanks!

Yes, 4 valves per cylinder in a T head, not OHV. The first DOHC 4V was Peugeot's 1912 GP car and was an I-4 of almost 8 liters.

The finest engine (a personal favorite) from Stutz was the DV32 of 1931. A twin-cam 4V I-8, it was a design modified by Fred Deusenberg
    of Stutz engineer Charles Greuter's "Vertical Eight", which was a solid engine to begin with.
    But I thought Stutz didn't make their own engines. Did they buy engines and then modify them?

This is a little off topic but I do think that Bearcat is the best ever name for a car.

Quote Originally Posted by NSXType-R View Post
    But I thought Stutz didn't make their own engines. Did they buy engines and then modify them?
    The first series Bearcats used I-4 2V engines built by Wisconsin Motor Company, from 1917 on they built their own.
    The 4V I-4 T head was a Stutz design.

The Bearcat name was dropped in the early '20s then brought back in 1931 for the DV engined cars... at first an OHC I-8,
    then "Super Bearcat" with the twin-cam DV32. The Great Depression took out many car companies... Stutz was gone by 1934.

About Stutz- The Automobile

some cats:
    first three from last year's Pebble Beach Concours, where Stutz was the featured marque, last one is a Super Bearcat DV32 at the same event. Final one is the not so nice 1989 version.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by csl177 View Post
    The first series Bearcats used I-4 2V engines built by Wisconsin Motor Company, from 1917 on they built their own.
    The 4V I-4 T head was a Stutz design.

The Bearcat name was dropped in the early '20s then brought back in 1931 for the DV engined cars... at first an OHC I-8,
    then "Super Bearcat" with the twin-cam DV32. The Great Depression took out many car companies... Stutz was gone by 1934.

About Stutz- The Automobile
    Thank you for the clarification.

Thread Information