Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 914/6 GT Restoration

is that a cobra bucket seat? or a different brand of retro seat (i didn't like the cobras, bought some for the triumph and had to get them retrimmed)
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Quote Originally Posted by tiptonwa View Post
    I will look for you at Laguna Seca
    We'll be easy to find, look for the Klubsport and Gunnar trucks. See you there.
    Quote Originally Posted by clutch-monkey View Post
    is that a cobra bucket seat? or a different brand of retro seat (i didn't like the cobras, bought some for the triumph and had to get them retrimmed)
    It's a period fiberglas Scheel, very similar to it's contemporary Recaro from the early 1970s, either were commonly used in the RS, RSR and GTs. Porsche used Recaros exclusively but some drivers had their own preferrences. This seat is the model Björn Waldegård liked best, for instance. But it's not what we'll install; we have a proper Recaro. Companies like Corbeau, König, D'Eser and Cobra all make copies of various quality and price levels. Once we're done with the RR event it'll be replaced with a modern seat... it's dangerous to use an old seat for racing.

Got further on a few things today but forgot the camera... more pics tomorrow.
    Never own more cars than you can keep charged batteries in...

oh nice! some of the current reproductions are a bit hit and miss.
    i did find this neat quote
    Porsche in the early days (1950s) had a close relationship with Reutter Carosserie, which helped out with prototype manufacture and even made 356 bodyshells for a time. In the end, the bodyshop side of Reutter was bought out by Porsche in the early 60s, and the remainder of the Reutter company focussed on interiors and seats, and continued to be an OEM supplier of seats to Porsche for a very long time.

REutter CAROsserie renamed itself Recaro, and hence all Porsches have Recaro seats
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

oh nice! some of the current reproductions are a bit hit and miss.
    i did find this neat quote
    Today you made me learn something new....thanks.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

i don't know how true it is henk, but it came from a pretty knowledgable person on another forum, so i'ts a neat snippet of knowledge all the same..

i don't know how true it is henk, but it came from a pretty knowledgable person on another forum, so i'ts a neat snippet of knowledge all the same..
    at least the first part of the coachbuilding and the Porsche take over of Reutter is correct. I didn't know about the seat stuff though, but it sounds very plausible.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

I have the same story in a book about a Porsche I bought ages ago. So I presume it is indeed right.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Recaro is indeed Reutter Carosserie.

What specs do you have to comply to for the cage ?
    We're now being required to add additional bracing wherever we have a bend on the front cage Causing BIG issues with classics I see you have the bend !
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Our GCR book isn't as strict as SCCA or pro requirements. For most vintage groups it can be as built in period, though most people go with as much tube as reasonable to be safe. We removed the three "NASCAR" intrusion bars, the angled side bars with just a roll hoop was how it was built. The roof and header bars were added in the late 1970's.

Headlight mechanism nearly done, hard lines in, engine/gearbox in, fresh rubber on restored wheels.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks for sharing. Can't wait to this completed awesome job and good luck

CSL do you have any experience with the WEVO or seine gateshift kits? trying to figure out which is best, and why one costs $150 and the other $850!

CSL do you have any experience with the WEVO or seine gateshift kits? trying to figure out which is best, and why one costs $150 and the other $850!
    Aside from driving a car with a WEVO, no. In both my racecars the mods are to coupler, bushings and spring detent, plus a lever to lock out first and reverse... but that's on a dogleg 901 gearbox, not the 915. The coupler and bushing kit is a good mod on any of these 'boxes. From what I understand of these units they work the same way by relieving tension on the plates, thereby making smoother shifts. Seine users give glowing reviews, others insist the WEVO is worth the price. My guess is WEVO is more expensive because of the way it's cast and constructed. It's also a complete unit, with shifter... the Seine is a kit. Both provide the feeling of a gated shifter.
    Last edited by csl177; 09-23-2011 at 07:14 PM. Reason: clarification

cheers. given the cost difference i'll use the seine!

Thread Information