Thread: Teewave AR.1 / Gordon Murray Design T.32

Teewave AR.1 / Gordon Murray Design T.32

Teewave AR.1 / Gordon Murray Design T.32

Today Gordon Murray Design Limited and Toray Industries Inc announce a prototype electric sports car named TEEWAVE AR.1.

The AR.1 had an internal GMD code number of ' T.32' and the car is the result of a commission from Toray for Gordon Murray Design to design, tool and build a fully functioning prototype vehicle which utilises many of Toray's advanced automotive materials in order to achieve Toray's basic concept of an attractive vehicle for everyone.

The 2-seater sports car is designed to use the Toray carbon fibre component system with a process time of less than 10 minutes. A carbon monocoque, one of the key technologies of TEEWAVE, can be applied to all types of vehicle other than the 2-seater sports car.

The entire programme from concept discussions to running vehicle took just 9 months and was delivered on target, both in terms of cost and final handover. The power train in the vehicle are the base components used in one of the commercial electric vehicles currently available, but the unique electrical architecture and control units were developed by Gordon Murray Design.

A carbon front crash structure was designed and developed for the car. A Full vehicle Euro Ncap O.D.B test was simulated in addition to a rigid barrier dynamic impact. A correlation process was conducted on the front crash structure for both half energy and full energy using physical tests. Quasi -static bend and torsion analysis was also conducted.

The AR.1 has a remarkably low weight of just 850kg (including the 240kg battery) putting the car firmly in Lotus Elise territory and some 400kg lighter than a Tesla. The ultimate performance is limited by an output figure of 47kw but a torque of 180 Nm available from a standing start results in lively acceleration.

A great deal of attention has been given to the low weight, low centre of gravity and suspension geometry which has resulted in an excellent ride and handling balance.

The concept design team included Barry Lett, Frank Coppuck, Kevin Richards and Gordon Murray. Exterior and interior styling was designed by Zachary Seward, Kevin Richards, Barry Lett and Gordon Murray. The project leader at Gordon Murray Design was Mark Lewis.

The main architecture design team was led by Barry Lett and the engineering, composites and analysis team were led by Frank Coppuck, while the electrical system and power train design was by Dr Ralph Clague.

Gordon Murray Designs' world class prototype build team ensured the vehicle was built to schedule and Gordon Murray Designs exacting standards.

At all stages during design and development Gordon Murray Design and Toray worked very closely on the design, use of materials and Toray's automotive applications.

The Toray team consisted of Toru Yamanaka, Project Leader, Nobuhiko Shimizu, Project Manager, Yukitane Kimoto, Composite Team Leader, Yoshito Kuroda, Yuki Sakamoto, Kosaku Hashimoto, Composite Team, Alan Riley, UK Composite Handling and Osamu Goto, Project Advisor from Geo Technology.

Technical Specification
    Length 3975mm
    Width 1765mm
    Height 1154mm
    Wheelbase 2610mm
    Weight (including battery) 850 Kg
    Luggage Volume 200 litres
    Chassis Carbon Fibre Monocoque
    Sub frames Aluminium Alloy
    Crash Structures Carbon Fibre
    Body Carbon Fibre
    Aerodynamics Full length under tray with ground effect diffuser
    Engine Permanent Magnet Synchronis Motor
    Power 47 Kw
    Torque 180 Nm
    Voltage 330 V
    Engine Position Mid - Rear
    Transmission Single Speed
    Battery Lithium-Ion
    Total Energy 16 Kwh
    Driven Wheels Rear
    Front Suspension Double Wishbone, Coil Spring, Anti Roll Bar
    Rear Suspension Double Wishbone, Coil spring
    Steering Rack and Pinion unassisted
    Turning Circle 9.5 metres
    Front Wheels/Tyres 175/55 R16 on 5.5J Rim
    Rear Wheel/Tyres 225/45 R17 on 7.5J Rim
    Brakes Discs Front and Rear - Electrically assisted
    Parking Brake Electrical on Rear Discs

Performance
    0 - 50 Kph 4.4 seconds
    0 - 100 Kph 11.4 seconds
    Top speed 147 Kph
    Range (NEDC Cycle) 186 Km
    Charging Time 6 hours

Emissions NEDC Cycle 31.4 gms per Km (on Japan energy mix)

Toray Materials and Products used in the AR.1

1. Toray carbon fibre for the monocoque chassis, crash structures, body, interior and seats.
    2. Toray PLA/PET floor mats and luggage mats.
    3. Toray paint film on steering wheel cover.
    4. Toray 'Ultra Suede' trim on seats and door cards.
    5. Toray PLA/Nylon alloy optional floor mats.
    6. TPO laminated soft touch material with Toray PLA foam and pressure sensitive adhesive on instrument panel, sills and door top trim.
    7. Toray Picasus film on instrument screen.
    8. Toray 3GT/PET polyester knit on A pillar trim panels.

Professor Gordon Murray of Gordon Murray Design said:

"It has been a pleasure to work with Toray Industries' team on this challenging project. The resultant vehicle weight of just 850Kg achieved using Toray's carbon fibre once again proves that performance through light weight is the most efficient and environmentally friendly way to achieve power to weight targets."

Toray Industries said:

"Toray is happy to work with the Gordon Murray Design team to achieve Toray's basic concept of an eco-friendly and highly efficient light weight electric concept vehicle, TEEWAVE. It should be viewed as a flagship for embodying our Green Innovation Project in the automotive field."
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (979.7 KB, 12 views)
    • File Type: jpg 2.jpg (1,009.8 KB, 32 views)
    • File Type: jpg 3.jpg (1,005.5 KB, 17 views)
    • File Type: jpg 4.jpg (967.2 KB, 21 views)
    • File Type: jpg 5.jpg (711.3 KB, 19 views)

The low weight is impressive... would also like to see a practical 4-place vehicle from Mr. Murray.
    Never own more cars than you can keep charged batteries in...

I like it. I love that GMD is using kei-car components when making a sports car as attractive as this. The acceleration and top speed are good, considering the low power, and the light weight and (presumably) good handling would make it fantastic fun to drive. It would not feel slow, either, because 47kw at low speed would translate into a lot of torque, and it is not pushing much weight - 260kg less than the car that the drive train is sourced from, so it is faster and has a longer range. I love the idea of a sophisticated, refined sports car that achieves good performance by clever use of limited power. Although, I admit that there would probably be less satisfaction in driving this, than there would be from a petrol-engined version, in which good use of the gearbox would be needed to make the best use of the power.

Quote Originally Posted by MilesR View Post
    I love the idea of a sophisticated, refined sports car that achieves good performance by clever use of limited power.
    Agreed. We live in a decadent world of big engines, big cars, all of that. The idea of a smaller car using next to no power while still delivering fun is very lucrative. What's more, less weight and power means less wear on all components, and things being cheaper generally.

That said...11.4 seconds to 100kp/h isn't what I'd call "lively".
    All about the t-tops

Quote Originally Posted by TVR IS KING View Post
    That said...11.4 seconds to 100kp/h isn't what I'd call "lively".
    The livelyness comes from keeping it at 100 where other cars would have to drop down then reaccelerate. There's a lot to be said for a light low powered vehicle that's surprisingly chuckable.. some days/roads my postie entertains me much more than my bonneville.
    Life's too short to drive bad cars.

As well as some good fun driving ability, it would have some street cred too. There are not many cars that have a carbon fibre monocoque, nor proper underbody aerodynamics, and none that may be affordable to the masses. I can't help wondering if this this car is based closely enough around Mitsubishi's i drivetrain that the petrol, and turbo-petrol engines from the i might slot in easily enough to be options, if it goes into production. Kei turbo engines have a lot of tuning potential, and a petrol i is a whole lot cheaper than the i MIEV. Saving the weight from the battery would make this even lighter - probably more like the original Elise in weight. The last uncertainty is the price. Can their novel production processes make this car as cheap as, or cheaper than an Elise? I hope so.

Thread Information