Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Photography Competition Revival

Photography Competition Revival

We always greatly enjoy the photography competitions on this forum and would love to see a version 2.0 of these competition. While using the originals as a blueprint, we would like to make some subtle changes, like set days for the competition and voting to start. As part of the structure we would like to see a fresh competition every week and then a run-off of the four or five best shots at the end of the month. The month winners would be pitched against each other at the end of the month.

Also we would like to offer awards in the form of complimentary premium subscriptions for the winners.

Please let us know what you think, so we can determine the new regulations based on your input.

Our suggestion is to start the first competition on Monday October 3rd and then have the first vote on the 10th.
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

As a reference, here are the old regulations:

Rules

• The photograph can contain any automotive image (containing no adulterous material)
    • The proposed picture must be your own and not found on the net.
    • The photograph must be attached using the UCP system. Any picture not attached using the UCP system will not be in the voting thread.
    • Your image may be up to 800 pixels wide or tall.
    • Photograph may contain post-processing editing
    • It is preferred that you state enhancements made, but not necessary.
    • The photograph must be taken no earlier than four months before start date
    • Each photographer cannot vote for himself, they must vote for the others.
    • Any users who enter and vote for themselves automatically receive a 2 week penalty from the competition and all votes previously given to his/her photo are removed.
    • The entry must contain the following information in the same order :

User name
    Subject matter/photo title
    Date taken
    Camera
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

This sounds fantastic! Count me in.

I have read some ancient debates in the photog suggestions sub-forum about the 'heats' system that was used due to the limited number of entries per post (or vote spaces per post) when the entries were too many. For the record, it can't be solved any other way than having a 'heats' system. It may not be perfectly fair, but unless the vBulletin structure can be altered/expanded then heats is the best solution.

Besides, they've been doing it in competitive athletics/swimming/etc for like forever, man.

Will there be a automotive/non-automotive like before? Or will there be new categories?

I'm willing to join again We used to have some very good competitions on here.

Can you open up a thread for our entries?
    Last edited by basman007; 09-27-2011 at 06:54 AM.

what is the reason for the rather strict size limitation? is 1024x768 (the regular UCP size) not acceptable?
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by basman007 View Post
    Can you open up a thread for our entries?
    I want to wait with that until the rules are set.

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    what is the reason for the rather strict size limitation? is 1024x768 (the regular UCP size) not acceptable?
    The limit is dictated by the width limit of the forum page.

(Ted Joans)

The rules we used in the past aren't good? Seemed to work..

The rules we used in the past aren't good? Seemed to work..
    I don't think we changed anything...?

Sounds cool, I'm in on it.

Would it be acceptable to have an attached high res shot as well, so we can view the shots in high quality?

I am not sure if everyone is willing to share a full resolution shot.

(Ted Joans)

Winging shot of the month featured on the home page? Automotive variety only with recognition.
    "Horsepower sells motor cars, but torque wins motor races."
    -Carrol Shelby

Speaking of the home page, how bout a little banner somewhere on the home page during the comps, directing people to the to the voting thread, just to attract some attention from those people who visit the front page and never go into the forums. It would be nice to get more than 50 votes once

Quote Originally Posted by Wouter Melissen View Post
    I am not sure if everyone is willing to share a full resolution shot.
    Yeah, I don't want to.

Quote Originally Posted by aiasib View Post
    Speaking of the home page, how bout a little banner somewhere on the home page during the comps, directing people to the to the voting thread, just to attract some attention from those people who visit the front page and never go into the forums. It would be nice to get more than 50 votes once
    Yeah, that's a good one.

And will we do a general photo comp as well? I made a few photos last winter that I wanted to enter here, but there were no comps Can I still enter them now?

Yeah, I don't want to.

Yeah, that's a good one.

And will we do a general photo comp as well? I made a few photos last winter that I wanted to enter here, but there were no comps Can I still enter them now?
    I mean, you don't need to if you don't want to, but for those who want to share, I don't see the harm in it either.

Quote Originally Posted by NSXType-R View Post
    I mean, you don't need to if you don't want to, but for those who want to share, I don't see the harm in it either.
    Oh sure, that's fine by me.

Thread Information