Thread: Trying to do a story on a reluctant car collector

Trying to do a story on a reluctant car collector

As some of you know, I am a journalist, specifically a photojournalist, so I am always on the lookout for story ideas and good visual pieces that would work well for the paper and if they so happen to coincide with a personal interest of mine, then all the better.

Well recently I discovered an old building in town, located on a pretty busy street, that while it looks abandoned, it actually has several classic cars inside it.

Now these cars can be seen from the street and sidewalk, I noticed them while I was driving by, I admit that I didn't notice them immediately, it wasn't until my third month of living here I saw them. I don't drive that street everyday and when I noticed I pulled off, walked up to the building and looked inside and you can see several more cars.

From the street you can see through the plate glass window about three Mercedes-Benz, from the 50s-60s by my estimate and an old Ford van. There is no indication from the outside what's housed inside, in the overgrown parking lot there sits an 80s Camaro that looks like it hasn't been in running order for several years.

Anyway, I'll get to why that bit is important in a minute. So I finally tracked down the owner of the building and approached him about me doing a story; short copy block with the usual why/how he got into collecting, etc. plus some photos of his collection and where they are at.

Well he listened to me, which is all I could as for, and he said he wasn't comfortable putting the location of all these cars in the paper. He said he's had a couple stolen and if it's put in the paper even more are likely to be vandalized or stolen.

Now I understand that part of it, I can work with that (most likely; I'm talking w/ my editors later) but he's reluctant to let me do a story at all, let alone take pictures of his cars all covered in dust (he says he hasn't driven them in two years, since his wife passed). He said "I'll catch hell from the other car collectors if pictures of my dust-covered cars are shown in the paper"

So he offers to let us run pictures he's taken in the past.

So, my final appeal is to you all: What do you think I could say/do to get him to work with me and is it even worth it?

Also, keep in mind what I said about building location, should I point out "You know, any jamoke walking down the street can see the cars, so it's not exactly a secret where they're at." And frankly, it's not even on the nicest side of town anyway so you would think if someone wanted to steal them they would and it's going to be rather tough to steal a 60s M-B in a town of 25,000 and not be noticed, especially one that has sat for two years and isn't in running condition most likely.

Sorry for rambling I wanted to get this out there and off my chest. Thanks for any thoughts/advice.

Can you try and take photos of the cars without giving away the location?

Maybe set up a mini studio around the cars (if they can't be moved) and then run the story and keep his name anonymous?

I think his issue from reading it about pics being taken is that they are somewhat neglected and he doesn't want to catch extra flak from other collector...
    University of Toronto Formula SAE Alumni 2003-2007
    Formula Student Championship 2003, 2005, 2006
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

Obviously it's a sensitive issue for him, having not driven them since his wife passed. There's likely a very good reason he hasn't driven them since, but it's not the kind of thing you want to publish in the paper, or that he may want published. At the same time, publishing a story about a guy neglecting a bunch of cars, without being able to publish why, could ruffle some feathers. May have to let it go.

Regardless of whether or not the cars are visible and how nice the area is, publishing the story can only make theft more likely. It's not going to make it less likely
    All about the t-tops

Much easier to do a piece on henk's car collection.

Thanks guys. You all make good points. As for henk's collection, it'd be nice but there is no local connection for me to pitch to my editors.

I suppose you could do an article on lingenfelter since they are in the same state you are in.

Yeah I ditched the story idea. I called the guy and told him if he ever changes his mind he could call me.

I have found car collectors all over are this way and generally collectors of all sorts. Can't say I blame them either but it's just disappointing to me, since I love cars and would love to get a story and some pictures out of one of them.

Thread Information