Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Two Propulsions of Electricity and Compressed-air for a Hybrid Car

About Dually Truck Wheels

The term "dually" refers to a truck with two sets of wheels on its rear axle rather than one. This provides a host of advantages including better handling, greater load capacity and safety benefits.

Function

The dually axle is the truck's non-steering axle. It has four wheels in total, two directly beside each other on each end of the axle. Since they distribute the truck's weight over more wheels, the tires last longer, provided they are properly rotated.

Benefits

According to the website Tire Rack, dually axles can handle twice the weight of non-dually axles. They also allow the truck to drive with a load temporarily in the event that one of the four rear axle tires goes flat.

Considerations

Dually trucks are more expensive than their non-dually counterparts, both in terms of initial purchase cost and tire costs. They are also wider than other trucks, making parking and driving through tight spaces more difficult.
    Source:
    About Dually Truck Wheels | eHow.com
    Related Links:
    Putting new tires on a dually pickup truck
    How to Change Dually Tires | eHow.com
    How to Remove Outside Dually Wheels | eHow.com

Okay, the point is: Can we inspire from this pattern to have a better situation for electric vehicles, especially in case of power-generating and confidence (in stability & safety)? I think so. Interestingly, the idea of dual wheels has been realized in some vehicles:
    1, 2, 3, 4, 5, a cool vehicle for my desired trips, not dually wheeled, but nice, …

On the other hand, any single wheel of rear axle has to handle the (weight of) car for a suitable duration & distance. This property is what one expects in the worst situation that one of the dual wheels is out of order for some reason.
    The outside wheel can be designed in a way that functions as a normal wheel, while the inside wheel has the additional duty of power generating as it was described before (post #54).

Whenever there is a need to more electricity, the outside wheels can be lifted up a bit for a short duration. Also, whenever there is need to power-generating elements to rest, the inside wheel can be lifted up a bit. In both conditions, the car is moving normally, but maybe the mentioned operations would need more caution in high speeds and rapid rotations.
    Also, in contrary with traditional characteristic of dual rear wheels in pickup trucks in flaring the rear wheel arches, and their application as heavy-duty towing and hauling vehicles, we might not need wide wheels for the rear axle. Similar to this image:

The good news is: I have decided to realize my ideas on a green car, as I've described them in this thread. I am worried about the environment and we should act faster IMO. I hope to face with support in this way.
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_bSkXMsYZDw"]Self-powered Hybrid Car that Runs by Air Electricity - YouTube[/ame]
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gez1GTAMGw8"]More Remarks on the Car Plan - YouTube[/ame]
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3pWv-P1QrU"]Chinas Massive Air Pollution - BBC News - YouTube[/ame]
    BTW, I have come up with some cool points on the compressed-air propulsion system which will mention them in here in the future. Those are nice matters and deserve to be brought up here.
    https://www.youtube.com/@00shitmovie

Please see my campaign on realizing this plan:

http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/se...ir-electricity

I have stated this topic as the channel of dealing with technical aspects of the plan.

Now, let's shift from electricity harvesting, to air harvesting. It seems useful if one considers pumping the compressed-air tanks, when the nature is ready to help. The basic scheme, is detecting useful air flows around the car, and using them if we could.
    One situation is when the car does not move. That would be ideal if the weather is pretty windy. Inspired from some supercars designs, the exterior body should be designed in a way that some particular spoilers could be adjusted to harvest the wandering airflows, as much as possible.

See these pages too:

Jota rear wing...
    Bugatti Veyron 16.4 Grand Sport Roadster Revealed
    Bugatti Veyron 16.4 Grand Sport - World’s Fastest Roadster : Automobiles
    Open Bugatti Veyron Grand Sport unveiled | Drive Arabia : Dubai / Abu Dhabi [UAE, Saudi, Bahrain, Qatar, Kuwait, Oman GCC]

Actually, it is against the aerodynamics of the car, but it might be used for stability or noise lessening purposes.

Car News and reviews, videos, wallpapers, pictures, free games and more. - Top Speed

There are interesting spoilers and diffusers on the supercars which help them to have a better performance at high speeds. For example, this collection of cars can be quite informative: Flickr: 2012 GOODWOOD FESTIVAL OF SPEED
    That harvesting function must be done by rotating and replacing the spoilers in any possible angle and direction. The involved spoilers should be able to change their angles to make a balance between frictional effects and incoming air.

Such adjusting can be performed manually; or automatically, to conduct some stored power from e.g., solar panels to move the spoilers' caps.
    Perhaps an additional mode can be defined for the solar cells to conduct some of their produced power to set up these spoilers suitably to hunt any available wandering wind. This causes less pressure to the propulsion batteries. Albeit, all this mechanism depends on the climate circumstances, compressed air tanks & battery packs conditions, central computer estimation for the car economy, and the driver's decision. For instance, if everything is correct, the central computer sends a message to driver's remote controller (smartphone) to ask about activating the spoilers for air catching.
    On the other hand, we need to be cautious on maintaining the already filled in compressed-air in the tanks. So it is suggested harvesting the around airflow would be done in more than one stages. Similar to lining up the wagons of a train, the harvested air packs would be accumulated behind each other, then, they enter to the compressed-air tanks respectively.

Wind tunnel testing of a new car design, Japan - Stock Image T732/0006 - Science Photo Library
    Wind tunnel testing of a new car design at Mazda - Stock Image T732/0007 - Science Photo Library
    Full boat tail on a Matrix - Page 12 - Fuel Economy, Hypermiling, EcoModding News and Forum - EcoModder.com
    Greenpower VWT
    Mclaren P1: Wind tunnel creates masterpiece SPEEDFREAKMIAMI.COM
    3-D Scanning Helps NASCAR Cars Gain That 0.1 MPH Edge | Quality Digest
    e-Dealer Inventory Mobile very good
    Beetle Aerodynamics / Roofspoiler
    Fast Fun Cars: 2008 Subaru Impreza WRX STi hatchback wind tunnel computer simulation
    wind tunnel testing | Popular Science
    Ram Air/Cold intake hood scoop - Page 2 - MY350Z.COM Forums
    http://image.modified.com/f/17358643...nd_diagram.jpg
    Aerodynamics
    Simulation of air flow pattern around a car in wind tunnel
    high sized pic
    EarthSure announces AirRay: Sleek green car to run solely on solar and wind power! on roof
    http://glowfrog.com/portfolio-item/wind-tunnel-cgi/
    WANT TO BUY VORTEX GENERATORS FOR YOUR CAR? WHAT IS IT? HOW IT FUNCTIONS EFFECTS? WHY INSTALL VORTEX GENERATOR? | KERETA dot INFO interesting!
    Audi Sound For Electric Vehicles ~ www.popgive.com

The summation of the pressure of these accumulated packs must reach to a proper degree in the one-to-last stage, this is for avoid of hurting the blades of the main electric motor of compressor. These accumulated train-like packs can be assumed as enriched (refined) fuel for the compressed-air tanks, in which they go into the tank so quickly, unlike the regular thin air that compressing it takes much time and energy.
    The desired spoilers can be mounted around the headlights, on the roof, about the fenders, hood, doors, and four corners of the front and rear windows. Also, a proper filter (bung) is needed for every such spoiler to prevent incoming dust.

Normally, the storage of the compressed air would be finished soon, similar to the case of supercapacitors. Therefore, the picture of sucking around the air by the car when it is parked outdoors, sounds effective. The ultimate scenario leads to charging the car when it is parked, after a slight breeze.
    For example, if the accumulated air when the car is parked, could increase the mileage for 2 kilometers, that would be a nice goal; the expected mileage might be more than 4 km, if it is windy over night.
    Anyway, this is a type of free charging by the nature and we'd better take advantage of this possibility, like the power from sun light cannot be ignored in this car.

hmm, if you chose to "trap" the airflow rather than have it compress and redirect around the body as it does now then you are going to increase drag.

have you done the math on the energy losses involved in that lost aerodynamic flow and the energy that can be recovered by leaching the air pressure ? Capturing air pressure ( aka flow ) is way harder than the equivalent electrical collector

I don't see enough to work outside of perpetual-motion theories
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

hmm, if you chose to "trap" the airflow rather than have it compress and redirect around the body as it does now then you are going to increase drag.
    First of all, I think this idea of mounting such spoilers to trap the airflows to give them more preparation before compressing, is independently valuable, if we activate it only when the car is parked; I mean if we don't involve the spoilers when the car moves, regarding the considerable amount of time for the non-moving cars. Think about going camping, you don’t use your car much of that time, so it is placed outdoors and you count on nature to give it some air, applicable for its propulsion at another time.
    The simple way of solving the drag problem, is sending the spoilers to inside the body, when car moves.
    However, if it is pretty windy, the velocity is and will be low for some reason, and/or the tanks need to receive compressed-air ASAP (to critically help the battery packs in case), the harvester spoilers could be used.
    Even that is the case, if most of the present wind would come from non-front directions; i.e., the wind hits the back or left and right sides of the car, so changing the angles of the spoilers can be useful.

have you done the math on the energy losses involved in that lost aerodynamic flow and the energy that can be recovered by leaching the air pressure ? Capturing air pressure ( aka flow ) is way harder than the equivalent electrical collector
    No, I haven't done the math for this item. Indeed, this idea of applying spoilers to feed the compressed-air tanks came to my mind accidentally someday, after looking at roof spoilers of Bugatti Veyron:

From here:

Car News and reviews, videos, wallpapers, pictures, free games and more. - Top Speed

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine View Post

I don't see enough to work outside of perpetual-motion theories
    Maybe you mean a different physics, not a different engineering? Already, I have done some works about a new physics for propulsion purposes, for example this one, published by American Institute of Physics: Can the Present Technology Create Gross Amounts of Negative Energy Density?

... however, I think there is still undiscovered engineering capabilities to be used in greener cars, i.e., originated from this known physics. I really like to think this way.

The previous campaign went ignored for some reasons, but there is a new one for supporting my plan:

Green Hybrid Car | RocketHub

No I meant engineering and thus the issue of losses inherent in attempts to recover energy to use to continue motion meaning it wont.
    Interesting paper outline and love that you confidently want to violate accepted constraints As a researcher who prefers to stay in the practical side and resolve problems within constraints I do enjoy reading and reviewing research that challenges some of those. I don't always AGREE with them even when presented with proof ... eg the need to postulate further dimensions just so the math we use can be manipulated to consistent evidence of a problem with a theory in real world.
    Always I ask myself in that case ... are there REALLY mutli dimensions or is it likely that they are only constructs man has created to "prove" a theory or cover up a "glitch" in postulate Some of us grew up in an education where the greats believed in "real things" like 'the ether'. A postulation put forward to explain how energy could get from one place to another. So their other "dimension" of 'ether' ( YES I *know* it's not really a dimension but stick with the analogy for one more step pls ) was a creation to explain something which they couldn't comprehend of electromagnetic 'waves'.
    Can you send me a link to the paper, I would love to read it
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Well, my theory on faster than light travels by means of a gravitational spacewarp mechanism, is indeed a 4D framework, i.e., using 3+1 continuum of spacetime (length, width, height, and time). I literally tried to present something limited by the standard, well-established facts of the other authors in this field.
    To read the full PDF file, click here:

Ultimatecarpage.com forums

As I've pointed out, the whole plan to realize this car, is a preliminary action to do my other project which is bigger, ... so much bigger
    Attached Files Attached Files

I am impressed by your enthusiasm Mohammad and the effort you have put into engaging with people over your ideas.

I have only had time to skim through the thread so far (which has taken 30 minutes) and I will read your paper and the ensuing discussions properly when i can, sadly likely to be a week from now. As someone who works in research at an automotive OEM i feel i may be able to provide some insight into the industry and concepts you are looking at.
    www.flickr.com/photos/mlunnphotography

Thanks a lot for the comment DBR9. That would be great if you could do something about realizing my plan, I cannot wait to see that awesome action.
    Sometimes I have this fantasy of traveling around the world by a horse! However, if I can realize this car, it would be similar from the perspective of fuel.
    I like traveling so much by driving or other methods, but I dislike polluting the environment, so I prefer to wait after making a literally green car!
    God bless you man, you made me hopeful.

For your information, I have launched another campaign with special emphasis on Israeli visitors. This is a "All or Nothing" model of crowd fundraising which makes one more confident about the security of his/her contribution. This is the Hebrew page:

http://www.headstart.co.il/project.a...6644&lan=he-IL

and this is the English page:

http://www.headstart.co.il/project.a...6644&lan=en-US

Regarding the issues between Iran and Israel, I am sure this would be something more than a campaign in the category of technology ...
    Maybe most number of the people who see this post are not able to participate in that particular campaign, but the most you can do is spreading the word in any place which has Israeli users.

My design aims to generate significant amounts of electricity in off-road paths. Therefore, if the driver is sure about other conditions, this electric vehicle would be almost a perfect product. Actually, the EVs are expensive and inefficient, so I thought we can take care of one aspect, instead of fighting in two fronts; i.e., making an efficient transportation system of EVs, disregarding the related costs for once.

The idea of giving power contribution to moving EVs seems impressive. Inductive charging (also known as "wireless charging") uses an electromagnetic field to transfer energy between two objects. These inductive charging coils could shoot power to the EVs in kilowatt magnitudes. Fortunately, nice breakthroughs have been presented in this subject, to know more about them, read these links:

[ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inductive_charging"]Inductive charging - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]
    Stanford system could allow EVs to recharge from the road, while moving
    In-Road Wireless Electric Vehicle Charging Breakthrough Yields 90% Efficiency | Inhabitat - Sustainable Design Innovation, Eco Architecture, Green Building

One can use hidden and/or exposed coils underground or aside the road, less expensive and easier to repair.

To gain more experience on efficiency & safety features, a specific lane of a highway can be appropriated for initial tests.

This approach is more suitable for fast-functioning supercapacitors than slow-functioning lithium batteries. That is the case for interior compressors as well. As a general statement, current battery technology is not a good achievement, because of low lifetime, low energy storage density, and nasty chemicals in the process of production.

If a driver decides to choose a major highway pretty equipped with this technology, he can manually remove some battery packs to gain less weight before starting; for longer trips, full batteries would be needed.

The point is: Where does the needed electricity come from? One way can be the wind flows around the roads!

In addition to piezoelectric materials and solar panels, there are three locations, fit to install small vertical-axis wind turbines to generate power for lighting the road and support (at least partially) the embedded coils of inductive charging.

1. The highway barriers, as proposed in here:

Making Their Mark | BusinessWeek
    WIND POWER FROM NEW JERSEY HIGHWAYS | Inhabitat - Sustainable Design Innovation, Eco Architecture, Green Building

2. The highway medians, as proposed in here:

Turbine Light keeps your night drives safe with wind energy - Promoting Eco Friendly Lifestyle to Save Enviornment - Ecofriend
    Image: Wind-Turbine Powered Highway Lights, concept by TAK Studio, size: 1024 x 768, type: gif, posted on: February 12, 2010, 4:12 am - Green Car Reports

[Two types of VAWTs are possible, one near the ground for generating power from moving cars, the other atop of the light posts to harvest the natural wind flows.]

3. The installation of VAWTs placed horizontally on the steel frames that currently hold freeway signs along the highways, as suggested here:

No Shortage of Amusing Wind Turbine Ideas
    Highway wind turbines to capture energy from passing vehicles
    STUDENT DESIGN TURNS HIGHWAYS INTO WIND FARMS | Inhabitat - Sustainable Design Innovation, Eco Architecture, Green Building

High velocity vehicles use a lot of energy to push air out of theirs. Those energy become wind draft and can be recycled by this invention or otherwise go wasted.

The average U.S. Vehicle is driven 11,900 miles per year according to the Energy Information Administration. Gallons are converted to CO2 using 25.3371 lbs CO2/gallon gas - 19.2898 lbs of CO2/gallon in direct emissions and 6.0473 lbs of CO2/gallon in upstream CO2 emissions - from the Greenhouse Gases, Regulated Emissions, and Energy Use in Transportation
    (GREET) model. (2000lb = 1 ton). Study showed that the US uses 120 billion gallons (450 billion liters) of gasoline every year. The Nationwide average retail price for all types of gasoline as of Monday, June 5, 2007 rose 2.4 cents per gallon for the week, according to the U.S. Energy Information Administration, to $2.937. That’s $ 360 billion dollars spending every year around the nation. 5.3% of those energy is used to just push air out of vehicle's way.

We need to be selective to detect best spots for this purpose. Also, to minimize the negative drag effects, I guess we need to adjust the size and shape of the turbines and proper distance between them and passing vehicles (in a particular arrangement). I mean it might be required to catch the non-first waves of the made air flows of vehicles. The produced wind from buses and trailer trucks would be more effective.

As a sophisticated plan, it does worth trying, because even if the draft created from the flow of traffic is, on the whole, not enough to generate a viable amount of energy, the natural wind may give contribution to rotate these turbines and those are able to supply the power for the closest users, the passing EVs in a few meters away (minimum loss of energy in least possible wiring). Also, we can mount large conventional HAWTs near the rural areas to give contribution to a few embedded coils in such roads, via short cables, compared to supporting the grid.

This plan should be realized anyhow, turbines be close to the EVs if drag is negligible, far from the EVs if drag is huge.

For safety reasons, the made gap inside the barriers to place the VAWTs, should be less that width of an average vehicle and some inches above the concrete barrier; so in the worst conditions, if two cars would collide in opposite lanes, the damage would be predictable.

The needed copper for coils should be provided from recycled sources, because of environmental and financial reasons.

The highway patrol, related power company patrol and traffic controlling cameras could check the conditions and report for fixing any problem caused by lightning, hails, heavy snow, vandalism, crashing birds, etc.

To maintain the function of such installations against exhaust and road grime, the outer parts should be covered by nano self-cleaning layers.

To remove all the side effects for pregnant women, navigation of bees and birds, plus protecting the communications in the vehicle, we should not act extremely. For instance, we can create small magnetic fields, but increase the number of coils instead. I mean we should not establish too many VAWTs to block the wind in the highway to make intense magnetic fields. Besides, deserved shields need to be used in all the cars too.

Extra power can be conducted to heat up the water inside some pipes near the coils at winter, instead of spreading salt on asphalt that damages the road, just like Iceland with geothermal plants (or airport bands). The solar mirrors could be helpful in this concern as well. Also since power losses translate into waste heat, it can be useful for this application on the other hand.

Another consequence could be more discipline in driving via exact adjusting the EV with in-road coils, suitable for third world countries!

Related links on wireless charging:

Korean electric vehicle solution
    Siemens Student Award - Induction charging lanes
    Charged EVs | What’s up with wireless EV charging
    E-Moss testing wireless charging bus in Netherlands
    Smart highways can charge EVs, give weather warnings
    Unplugged: inductive charging on the road | In-depth | The Engineer
    Magnetic Metamaterials Could Lead to Wireless Power Transmission
    BMW and Siemens To Start Field Test For Wireless Charging of Batteries
    Qualcomm buys wireless electric car charging tech Tech News and Analysis
    Recharge and Roll: Electric Carmakers Plan to Cut the Cord: Scientific American
    Design News - Captain Hybrid - Wireless Power Pitched as Replacement for EV Batteries
    Worlds first road-powered electric vehicle network switches on in South Korea | ExtremeTech
    Will wireless charging void your EV's warranty? (updated) | The Car Tech blog - CNET Reviews
    Gas 2 | What is the future of fuel? Whats next? Since 2007, Gas 2 has covered a rapidly changing world coming to terms with its oil addiction.

Related links on wind power idea:

highway wind power
    HY-3000|HY Energy technology Co., LTD
    Got a lot of space under your bridge? Add wind turbines | DVICE
    Small Wind Energy Goes Urban In Italy, Korea, Brazil And Texas - Forbes
    A future where the whoosh of passing cars power highway lights | OregonLive.com
    A perspective of the Malaysian highway energy consumption and future power supply
    UGE's New Hybrid Sanya Streetlight Goes Off-Grid For Big Savings | Inhabitat - Sustainable Design Innovation, Eco Architecture, Green Building

Several other innovative ideas for renewable energy generation on highways:

Future Perfect Innovative ideas for renewable energy generation on highways - Promoting Eco Friendly Lifestyle to Save Enviornment - Ecofriend

A considerable opinion:

Electric Vehicles Need More Study, Less Emotion - IEEE Spectrum

Very well written:

The All-Electric Car You Never Plug In - IEEE Spectrum

There are green solutions to provide the needed power for such smart roads, as much as possible.
    For instance, seaside (smart) roads can receive electricity from nearby tidal power stations; mountainous roads could be supplied by wind turbines; desert roads might be fed by solar panels; riverside roads can be connected to hydropower generators; and so on …

To gain the expenses of such roads, the related tax can be imposed to drivers' account automatically. For example, a special chip can be mounted inside the vehicle registration plate or any other suitable point, so after the car enters into a smart road, it will be shown at the onboard screen for the driver that how much tax is being imposed on the car, for what amount of distance; from his credit card or internet account.
    To that end, the seller company asks the buyer to open an account in an operator bank, special for tax deduction. That is desirable for the government too, because it could have better supervision.

Also, if the person is able to generate power, say by a wind turbine in his mansion (connected to the grid), the extra power – e.g., when the owner is not present in the condo & wind turbine keeps rotating! – can be sold to the related local power company, or the government. Therefore, the municipality obligates the house owner to open a bank account for this personal power selling (before installing the green generator). These two accounts can be interacted with each other, and if both are in the same bank, they get discount [Clearly, the transaction fees are being considered internal and probably would be zero].

If someone produces much power and does use smart roads in little amounts, the balance of his two accounts would be positive.
    Even in the worst conditions, a part of the smart road tax would be reimbursed to him. If he really goes green, subsidy can be appropriated to him (any kind of reward in this framework: free using smart roads for certain durations, discount in using non-cheap areas like downtowns, etc …).

I guess similar thoughts can be considered to realize the idea of smart roads, in order to make them practical and economical.
    Last edited by mansouryar; 11-28-2013 at 05:49 AM.

Thread Information