Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Rennsport Reunion IV

Nice to see the car in action, and that after some (truly minor ) issues the car came good.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Had they even started it there would've been a crowd!! A bunch of things about the idea were wrong: the engine weighed too much, wheelbase was too long, and the flat-12 made enough power. It was never planned to be anything but NA, but was estimated if the 16 were turbo'd would make better than 2000HP. Didn't matter: the turbo 12 was cleaning up CanAm anyway.
    That answers the first question i had but my 2nd one still remains: do they ever run it out on track for special events? i searched wikipedia and there was no article about it and no vids on youtube of it.

Btw nice helmet, is that airbrushed? I have a hockey mask, plain white, that i wanna get painted someday but don't know how to go about doing it

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    Nice to see the car in action, and that after some (truly minor ) issues the car came good.
    It did, though the steering issue could've made the weekend go pear shaped. Pretty scary, lucky turn in at the Corkscrew is just 30mph.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrafan427 View Post
    That answers the first question i had but my 2nd one still remains: do they ever run it out on track for special events? i searched wikipedia and there was no article about it and no vids on youtube of it.

Btw nice helmet, is that airbrushed? I have a hockey mask, plain white, that i wanna get painted someday but don't know how to go about doing it
    No, it was never raced and as far as I know, not demonstrated (at least in the US). Maybe it has in Europe?

Thanks... helmet by a guy that does cars, too. I drew what I wanted, he does killer work.
    Check around, there's probably someone local to you that airbrushes hockey masks and helmets.
    Never own more cars than you can keep charged batteries in...

that is a shame, they break out the 917-30 for demonstrations, i guess if they break the flat 16 there is no replacing it?
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Quote Originally Posted by clutch-monkey View Post
    that is a shame, they break out the 917-30 for demonstrations, i guess if they break the flat 16 there is no replacing it?
    That would be a very good reason...

A few more track photos, provided by members of the teener and 911S groups. Van Lennep in Piper's 917.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by csl177; 10-20-2011 at 07:29 PM.

When the car returns next week, I'll edit the in-car and get it posted to YouTube. Here's some more paddock shots... teeners galore!

After Saturday's Eifel Trophy race, all the classes drove parade laps. We tossed a pad & moving blanket in for my wife to ride,
    which was a big thrill for her. Then certain cars were selected for a track "concours"... we won a medal for 914/6 GT.
    Last edited by csl177; 11-18-2011 at 01:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by clutch-monkey View Post
    If they haven't started it in decades, maybe it's already broken...
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Was the 59 sister car as original as yours?

I love shot #3, never seen so many people in the pitlane...
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    Was the 59 sister car as original as yours?

I love shot #3, never seen so many people in the pitlane...
    Well, a very nice a car certainly but it sure isn't #0705... Bob S. built a ringer and most everyone knows it. The real #0705 happened to be at the event BTW, under the Porsche big-top >shhhhh< . EDIT: The MOST original GT at this event was undoubtably Jeff Zwart's... spectacular and he's owned it for ages. A great car!

Crowd was really great, exceeded the Daytona attendance. It's very likely RRV will be a west-coast affair, or at least in regular rotation. I'd be surprised if it weren't.
    Last edited by csl177; 10-21-2011 at 09:54 AM. Reason: added info and photos

Wow, it looks like a great event!

Thanks for sharing!

I need to post up the rest of my photos.

No, it was never raced and as far as I know, not demonstrated (at least in the US). Maybe it has in Europe?
    That's a shame, i would LOVE to hear the sound of a flat 16, it's gotta be uber unique

Sadly, the only in-car vid was a few minutes from garage to false grid... then the battery died. Bummer, no race footage.
    So, one last gratuitous photograph taken by a friend at the corkscrew. I love this car.

haha i had a similar thing, mounted go pro, did an awesome lap, pull into the pits, find there is no memory card in it..
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

I turned my vid on twice
    So had great footage from paddock to start line --- and then presed the record button again so nothing !!!!

Back in the days of TAPE (!) I had two big accidents and EACH TIME the video camera had shut down run out of tape the lap BEFORE I had the accident. Swore then to keep an eye on it and if it ever ran out of tape again I was just going to pull in to the pits. Reckoned someone was giving me a message and I should listen
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Thread Information