Thread: Lytro Camera

Lytro Camera

Sent by a professional photographer friend: Lytro

I understand the technology and can see that the "focus later" feature is basically depth of field control, but this is a game changer for most shutterbugs. Simple and small. Very cool.

Go to the site to play with examples in the gallery. Discuss.
    Never own more cars than you can keep charged batteries in...

How big are the photos?

I am definitely interested in trying this thing out...

Also noticed it only supports Mac for now....boo...
    University of Toronto Formula SAE Alumni 2003-2007
    Formula Student Championship 2003, 2005, 2006
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

Or html5 browser RM

BUT, the images you actually VIEW are only about 2M pixel resolution.
    So limited interest for serious photography byond the obvious no need to focus advantage at time of taking. Will be intrigued to see how it handles high speed movement. Not seen any images of that yet. Car race could be interesting if it works, but I doubt it because of the way "light field" works

If Canon's prototype 120M pixel sensor ever reached the market then this could be interesting for the pros.
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

I am curious how it will deal with movement. Static pictures might work, but what about following a car or an athlete or whatever?
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

I've seen this a year or so ago. I don't buy it, I don't think it works properly.

Quote Originally Posted by basman007 View Post
    I've seen this a year or so ago. I don't buy it, I don't think it works properly.
    but why exactly? can it replace simple point and shoot cameras?
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    but why exactly? can it replace simple point and shoot cameras?
    it doesn't work properly. it can't find all things that could be focussed on.

perhaps youre better of using future versions of pshop to restore focus/sharpness.

you can't "restore" focus No matter how good photoshop add in is. Only in crap TV shows do they manage it !!

As said, the lytro is limited by it's imager size. This limits the focussing processing and the image size. It does "work properly" in the same way a 5Mpixel camera takes photos and a 16Mpixel camera does. One is just "better" than the other.

EDIT: http://www.lytro.com/renng-thesis.pdf should explain how it's the MATH in post-processing that gets the image in focus so is unlike our "normal" thinking on lens and images. With large enough sensor and enough lenses this definately has a future. BUT, I still think that fast movement means the fourier transforms woudl somehow have to have a time element added to adjust for the object lightrays moving in time across the lenses. My math ain't that good to know if possible, SOUNDS possible, but maybe isn't
    Last edited by Matra et Alpine; 10-22-2011 at 03:58 AM.
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine View Post
    you can't "restore" focus No matter how good photoshop add in is. Only in crap TV shows do they manage it !!
    it really will be the future

Not much of a fan. I'm more conventional, for the price of a Lytro, about $400, I could get an advanced compact- a Canon S95, or if I stretch it a bit, a Panasonic Lumix LX5.

Also, it comes out in 2012.

And, I'm not sure how it works, but you are constrained to their photo editing software. And as someone had said before, you are stuck with a 2MP photo, which to say the least is not what I want.

Yea, but it's a photo you can mess with, and have others mess with. Also it's not a replacement for a normal camera, that's what your phone is for. This is something to compliment your normal photography. I'm sure it'll get cheaper with subsequent revisions of the hardware, and have better resolution and whatnot.
    Life's too short to drive bad cars.

So who'll be a guinea pig and try one out...
    University of Toronto Formula SAE Alumni 2003-2007
    Formula Student Championship 2003, 2005, 2006
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

Quote Originally Posted by RacingManiac View Post
    So who'll be a guinea pig and try one out...
    Waiting for my photo buddy to do it...

Agreed on limited usefulness... as Matra points out, speed isn't kind to the tech so forget action photography.
    At least for now. As the price comes down it might be an interesting point & shoot though.
    Never own more cars than you can keep charged batteries in...

Thread Information