Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 16

Thread: 2+1 seating (reverse McLaren F1)?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    134

    2+1 seating (reverse McLaren F1)?

    A car with 2 full size seats side by side in the front as usual
    plus a smaller seat behind the 2 front seats. This seat is pretty much like the usual 2+2 bench only that is narrower so it can only accommodate 1 passenger whose legs may be placed over the transmission tunnel partially between the front seats back rests.

    Got this idea as usually its more comfortable (actually less uncomfortable) to sit in the middle of the rear seat in 2+2 cars.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Rozenburg, Holland
    Posts
    27,310
    can we make the car FWD to avoid the transmission tunnel?
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    nr Edinburgh, Whisky-soaked Scotland
    Posts
    27,778
    Why woudl you want that arrangement ?
    The McLaren works as the legs of the rear seat passengers find space beside the driver.
    Turn it the other way round and there is NO advantage in having only one seat in the rear, so you'd be as well making it a 4 seater ( a la the 1915 morgan 4-seater ) and concentrating in putting in decent seats !!
    ( Cant think of ANY car I've ever sat in where the middle was better then the "seats" )
    Last edited by Matra et Alpine; 11-11-2011 at 03:19 PM.
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    East Coast of the United States
    Posts
    11,672
    Isn't the layout he's proposing just a narrower (in the rear) version of the Volvo C30?

    I think some Japanese Kei car has this layout, I forget which one though.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    nr Edinburgh, Whisky-soaked Scotland
    Posts
    27,778
    Why wish for narrower in the rear ? The aero benefits are there , yes, but not that significant.]

    I think one of the rear/mid engine kei cars were based on a truck engine/drivetrain and it was mounted to the side of the centreline thus losing one seat.
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    95616
    Posts
    5,358
    So like a more comfortable Toyota iQ? Or more like a reconfigured VW 1-litre car?
    I'm dropping out to create a company that starts with motorcycles, then cars, and forty years later signs a legendary Brazilian driver who has a public and expensive feud with his French teammate.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    2,057
    Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    can we make the car FWD to avoid the transmission tunnel?
    No...
    Gone:
    09 Ducati Monster 696
    09 Audi Q5 3.2
    03 Infiniti G35 Sedan
    07 Honda Civic Coupe LX 5spd

    Current:
    10 BMW 335d
    12 Audi Q5 2.0t
    10 VW Jetta TDI
    11 Ducati Monster 796

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    82
    I must agree that it does seem a bit pointless, as the car would end up 2 seats + leg room wide, instead of just 2 seats wide. Its only advantage would be in a situation where width is not a problem, but length is. It would allow a 3-seat car to be almost as short as a 2-seat car. I cannot think of many situations where that would be useful, as even a Smart would have to be stretched a bit to fit that configuration. Cars that are short enough that they would require that kind of packaging to fit a rear seat, were probably not intended to have a rear seat in the first place.

    There is one clear advantage over something like the Gordon Murray Design T.25, or the McLaren F1, with their 1-front, 2-rear layout, though. If you want to carry a passenger, and talk to them at the same time, 1-front and 2-rear configuration requires you to shout over your shoulder. 2-front and 1-rear would allow you to talk directly to one passenger, and put your hand on his/her leg. This makes 2 front seats a preferable option, regardless of what is in the back, as far as I am concerned.

    In addition, it would not necessarily be much wider than the 2-rear layout, as you would only need to allow space for one set of legs to intrude into the front, rather than two. The Mclaren was not all that narrow a car. It might find a use for a specialist car, like a supercar, where it allows use of free space, without forcing repackaging of the chassis or drivetrain. I still cannot think of any cars, or car designs, where it would help, though.

    Besides, if you had a passenger seat in the middle at the back, where would you put the engine?

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    East Coast of the United States
    Posts
    11,672
    Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine View Post
    Why wish for narrower in the rear ? The aero benefits are there , yes, but not that significant.]

    I think one of the rear/mid engine kei cars were based on a truck engine/drivetrain and it was mounted to the side of the centreline thus losing one seat.
    No idea. Just thinking of a car that was narrower in the rear.

    Quote Originally Posted by kingofthering View Post
    So like a more comfortable Toyota iQ? Or more like a reconfigured VW 1-litre car?
    Does it have a 3 passenger layout as stated? That would have been my first guess.

    Quote Originally Posted by MilesR View Post
    I must agree that it does seem a bit pointless, as the car would end up 2 seats + leg room wide, instead of just 2 seats wide. Its only advantage would be in a situation where width is not a problem, but length is. It would allow a 3-seat car to be almost as short as a 2-seat car. I cannot think of many situations where that would be useful, as even a Smart would have to be stretched a bit to fit that configuration. Cars that are short enough that they would require that kind of packaging to fit a rear seat, were probably not intended to have a rear seat in the first place.

    There is one clear advantage over something like the Gordon Murray Design T.25, or the McLaren F1, with their 1-front, 2-rear layout, though. If you want to carry a passenger, and talk to them at the same time, 1-front and 2-rear configuration requires you to shout over your shoulder. 2-front and 1-rear would allow you to talk directly to one passenger, and put your hand on his/her leg. This makes 2 front seats a preferable option, regardless of what is in the back, as far as I am concerned.

    In addition, it would not necessarily be much wider than the 2-rear layout, as you would only need to allow space for one set of legs to intrude into the front, rather than two. The Mclaren was not all that narrow a car. It might find a use for a specialist car, like a supercar, where it allows use of free space, without forcing repackaging of the chassis or drivetrain. I still cannot think of any cars, or car designs, where it would help, though.

    Besides, if you had a passenger seat in the middle at the back, where would you put the engine?
    Why would you want to put your hand on your passenger's leg?

    I kept thinking of this.

    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxKtqnUZU5k"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxKtqnUZU5k[/ame]


  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    134
    Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    can we make the car FWD to avoid the transmission tunnel?
    Can we? Yes we can.
    But who'd want FWD in his dream car?

    Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine View Post
    Why woudl you want that arrangement ?
    To improve practicality without increasing length or wheelbase as much as in a 2+2.

    Quote Originally Posted by MilesR View Post
    and put your hand on his/her leg.
    Hopefully her leg. Assuming you're a male of course.

    Quote Originally Posted by MilesR View Post
    It might find a use for a specialist car, like a supercar, where it allows use of free space, without forcing repackaging of the chassis or drivetrain. I still cannot think of any cars, or car designs, where it would help, though.

    Besides, if you had a passenger seat in the middle at the back, where would you put the engine?
    I think a front engine sport car like the Corvette would benefit from a 3rd seat.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Perth, Australia
    Posts
    6,536
    To fit a third seat in you'd have to increase either length or width, else there's be no leg room. It's surely easier to optimise a 2 seater in an ideal length/width ratio than 3, and by the time you've managed to sort out three seats, you might as well have four - if the third seat is practical at all you'll be able to fit four in, and if it's not you'll be able to fit two pointless rear seats in. See also many of the 2+2s available today.
    Life's too short to drive bad cars.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    82
    Hopefully her leg. Assuming you're a male of course.
    Yes, indeed I would prefer it that way, but was just making sure that the suggestion complied with all the best equal-opportunity standards.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Barcelona
    Posts
    33,333
    Quote Originally Posted by Big time View Post
    Can we? Yes we can.
    But who'd want FWD in his dream car?
    He would.

    Don't ask...
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    East Coast of the United States
    Posts
    11,672
    Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    He would.

    Don't ask...
    Engineered properly there's nothing wrong with FWD.

    Honest!

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Barcelona
    Posts
    33,333
    Quote Originally Posted by NSXType-R View Post
    Engineered properly there's nothing wrong with FWD.

    Honest!
    Oh, I've had plenty of fun in front drivers, but they simply do not have the poise and balance and natural action a good rear wheel drive car has.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Gran Turismo 5
    By Sauc3 in forum Gaming
    Replies: 1020
    Last Post: 05-19-2014, 03:16 PM
  2. Replies: 13
    Last Post: 10-16-2011, 02:30 AM
  3. Replies: 111
    Last Post: 01-22-2005, 10:08 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •