Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Boss v Shelby. Finesse or brute force?

Kitdy hit the nail on the head. I'll also add that my capabilities do not permit the ownership of a stupidly powerful car. For me, a regular Mustang GT 5.0 would be plenty of car. Let alone a Boss or Shelby. As Ferrer put it, numbers are meaningless, and feeling is everything. I couldn't agree more. With that thought in mind, there are cars that make sense (ex: MX-5), and cars that make less sense (Veyron).

Quote Originally Posted by DesmoRob View Post
    Kitdy hit the nail on the head. I'll also add that my capabilities do not permit the ownership of a stupidly powerful car. For me, a regular Mustang GT 5.0 would be plenty of car. Let alone a Boss or Shelby. As Ferrer put it, numbers are meaningless, and feeling is everything. I couldn't agree more. With that thought in mind, there are cars that make sense (ex: MX-5), and cars that make less sense (Veyron).
    Bless.

I'd be happy with (gasp!) a 2011 V6 Mustang, or a pre-facelift Mod V8 model.

Do the Mounties throw you in jail in BC for going about 150 as the OPP/TPS would here?

Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
    Bless.

Do the Mounties throw you in jail in BC for going about 150 as the OPP/TPS would here?
    I'll take a V6 too. It shouldn't feel any different than getting a 370Z, except for the fact that the 370Z doesn't have a V8 brother to make it look wimpy LOL. Thats the only thing that bothers me, because it gives idiots ammunition to comment. ("ah its only the V6 though")("Why didn't you get a V8?") etc etc etc. Damn hillbillies and their mindset.

As for the mounties, they've taken to suspending licenses and impounding vehicles for people going 20 km/h over the limit. When this first came into effect, it was happening to everyone. They've since calmed down, but I still can't afford to risk it. I've been driving a 2001 Prius for the last 5 - 6 months in order to blend in and avoid the temptation to drive fast. I enjoy going slow now, because fast in this car is scary. As Hammond would say, it handles like "a dog's breakfast."

Can't say I approve of a Prius, but it's a bit of a joke that the Mounties are terrorizing motorists. I have not heard food things about the RCMPs policing in BC or their conduct in general.

Y'all need to get back your provincial police that were mysteriously disbanded.

The old V6 Mustang was a piece of shit.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
    Bless.

I'd be more than happy with a Subaru BRZ.

Yes, a BRZ or a FR-S will be fine for me....I still don't think I want a car in Mustang's size department...yet...And while I think practically a V6 Stang with handling pack will be all the car someone needs in terms of speed, with something like a Mustang, you'll always "want" a V8....

Kitdy I'll make it a point to look you up over the Xmas break....
    Last edited by RacingManiac; 12-08-2011 at 09:42 PM.
    University of Toronto Formula SAE Alumni 2003-2007
    Formula Student Championship 2003, 2005, 2006
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

Quote Originally Posted by RacingManiac View Post
    Yes, a BRZ or a FR-S will be fine for me....I still don't think I want a car in Mustang's size department...yet...And while I think practically a V6 Stang with handling pack will be all the car someone needs in terms of speed, with something like a Mustang, you'll always "want" a V8....

Kitdy I'll make it a point to look you up over the Xmas break....
    Sounds good.

I think a BRZ/FR-S would do me fine. I have read a review of the GT86 and BRZ and the writer was very impressed with each.

I still like the Genesis Coupe, but with the V6 it's 33k here, and that's a bit pricey (no on the forced induction for me). I will be interested to see how the BR-S (heh) is priced in Canadian dollars versus specifically the Genesis Coupe, and the Mustang.

It is kinda sad that the bargain sportscar market is a bit dead right now. The Mustang is sorta a sportscar, but I like to call it a pony car - thought that term is a bit of anachronism. I see the Stang as more about brute force than finesse.

The BR-S is lighter and has less power; ditto the Gen Coupe - more of a sportscar. I'd like to see more competition in this market segment.

Gen coupe should be lighter than it is, and faster than it is....

BRZ/FR-S I think is still more of "Miata with roof"....lacking a bit in power, lower limit, with focus on "floggability".....I think only thing that will deter me from trading in my car for one in maybe 2nd or 3rd model year of the car will be if its really too small....

Although I'll probably miss the torquey motor of the GTI....I already miss it now that I am driving it in stock mode in a bid to preserve the snow tires...
    Last edited by RacingManiac; 12-08-2011 at 11:09 PM.
    University of Toronto Formula SAE Alumni 2003-2007
    Formula Student Championship 2003, 2005, 2006
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

You mentioning a BRZ/FR-S as like a Miata with a roof made me think of the price of that car again.

Gah, the price of the MX-5 is out to lunch in Canada. 29k compared to 23k in the States. That is a joke of a price differential for such a low priced car. The RX-8 is 42 grand in Canada - which is beyond ridiculous - and 27k in the US. Am I missing something? The US prices are reasonable for the Mazdas; the Canadian ones absurd, especially as we get the 3 pony cars for very near their US MSRP.

The Canadian price for the Gen Coupe is more in line with the US price. Still, a bit of a piss off, especially with how relatively well things are going in Canada from an economic standpoint.

Cars like the aforementioned BRZ/GT86, MX-5 or a Cooper S can indeed be a lot of fun in the right roads. Even better than some far more powerful, far faster cars.

But, I have to ask, how many of you have driven a really fast, really powerful high performance car? Because as I said, it's not about the top speed. Relatively high speeds can be achieved in relatively low powered cars.

I've been driving the Jag quite a lot lately, and even if it isn't a particularly fast sports saloon, it does have a 300bhp V8. The in-gear acceleration is great, the sound is fantastic and even the smallest of gaps is an overtaking opportunity.

Slow is good, but speed and particularly acceleration is addicting.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Getting back on topic.

I think i may have the solution, how about a Boss with a 3.6l Kenne Bell Blower? good for 700hp, that may take it over the 200mph mark.

And is the new GT500 still called Shelby? i was under the impression that Ford droped the Shelby moniker for the new GT500.
    "Religious belief is the “path of least resistance”, says Boyer, while disbelief requires effort."

I have not driven either one. Price-wise, I cannot afford cars of this caliber, except in dreams. Perhaps a rich uncle might buy both of them and let me take each one out for a spin in order to determine which one I prefer to own. LOL

IMHO, I think that 650 HP is superfluous in anything resembling a true street oriented car. Where can you really use all of the power? You certainly cannot use it to full effect on city streets for more than a few seconds at a time, before applying the brakes in a hurry. If you are a madman and enjoy flirting with death, and the law, then by all means, you could actually drive it crazily. Even out on the highways, you will have to be very, very cautious. However, this holds true for any vehicle, and having said that, I would probably take the Boss 302.

Shelby’s are over-priced, and over-rated. Boss 302 is more to my taste in Mustangs. For sheer fun factor, and a test of your nerve and capabilities, go buy yourself an original 1965 Shelby GT350 and cone it like the 1965 GT350-R and scare yourself silly. You can really play boy-racer and feel every nuance in the road and still manage to get the thumbs up by countless admiring passersby.
    Terry

I'm a BIG boss fan.. I own a 2011 302 Mustang and it drives incredible. It eats The BMW 1M and the M3 for breakfast.. I wrote a small consumer review about it ( Ford Mustang BOSS 302 - AutoComparison.com ).. Couple of things I "don't" like about it: the interior and the MPG(!)

Jay Leno tested the Shelby GT500 ( [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLZdKnDAMnE"]2013 Ford Mustang Shelby GT500 Boss 302 - YouTube[/ame] ) and the 302 BOSS ( [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4LXYK4rR7Sw"]2013 Mustang Boss 302 - Jay Lenos Garage - YouTube[/ame] ).. He also prefers the 302.. Drives more precisely and sporty..

As a less mature teenager and young adult, I grew up with all of the old musclecars in Toronto, during the late sixties and early seventies. I was personally at the wheel of many of them, while riding ''shotgun'' in most of the others.

At one time another, I was able to ride or drive in these same cars as stock vehicles and later as modified used cars. NONE of them were as fast as any of their modern counterparts, no matter what anyone may claim. Modern day road tests prove that point many times over.

Drive a new Boss 302 Mustang and compare it to the original 69-70, and you come away with new found respect for the new vrs old. New does everything better hands down as it should. That is just modern day advanced technology. Only original Boss 302 that would even come close to beating a new 2013 would be the 1970 Trans-Am specials driven by Parnelli Jones and George Follmer. They were 460 gross horsepower, 3200 pound bears running on a tight rope, and not streetable.

As a kid, I always thought that ultimate horsepower and speed was the answer to an otherwise good running vehicle, but that is not always the case. Jay Leno echoes these very thoughts as he aptly favors the Boss 302 over that of the Shelby GT500. My very own sentiments as well, even though I have never even sat in either one.

My current car is a 1998 Buick Regal GS. I am the proud second owner of an original unmolested 3.8L supercharged V-6 car.

In stock form, they were adaquate runners, and in modified form they are still pretty competitive in terms of modern performance. I modified mine this summer and I am very happy.

I added the following pieces and got an easy 50-60 more horepower.

Front tubular exhaust manifold from 3800 Performance. I left the stock rear exhaust manifold in place; its not that restrictive with my current mods.

I added a complete new 2.5'' (single) exhaust pipe system with mandrel bent downpipe, aftermarket cat, and twin dual-outlet mufflers from ZZ Performance.

Simple mods include a new cold air iduction system, smaller 3.5'' diameter supercharger pulley, (allowing quicker boost and more of it) one step colder spark plugs, 160 thermostat, and the necessary re-calibrated computer to make everything work properly.

These relatively simple mods changed the character of the car. I actually get 2 mpg more than I did than stock and drivibility is much improved. Sound and performance is terrific.

I have not gone to the drag strip and probably never will. It simply does'nt interest me. From what I understand, performance is now in the low, low 6-sec range zero to sixty. Sure seems like it. 1/4 miles are either very low 14s, or high 13s, depending on traction.

For $6000.00 including purchase price of the car, I have a nice comfortable driver that is a pleasure to operate. It is plenty quick, and better riding than the Grand Pri GTP counterpart, and not a heat-score.

I ran several older 305 and 320 horsepower V-8 Mustangs and surprised many. Same for older Z28s, Firebird Tran-Ams, and 2010 Dodge Challenger R/T Classics with the 372-376 HP 5.7 Hemi autos and manuals.

Never raced new Coyote-engined Stangs, but, the new V-6 canbe dusted. LOL!

My point is that we can have fun with moderately priced cars and still run fast on the street without breaking the bank. Shelby's and other high-priced cars have a place in my heart but not at the expense of my empty pocket-book.

I like the Boss 302 concept and it is a hell of a bargin for the performance.
    Last edited by dog ear; 11-08-2012 at 03:36 PM. Reason: mistake
    Terry

Quote Originally Posted by walters View Post
    I'm a BIG boss fan.. I own a 2011 302 Mustang and it drives incredible. It eats The BMW 1M and the M3 for breakfast.. I wrote a small consumer review about it ( Ford Mustang BOSS 302 - AutoComparison.com ).. Couple of things I "don't" like about it: the interior and the MPG(!)

Jay Leno tested the Shelby GT500 ( 2013 Ford Mustang Shelby GT500 Boss 302 - YouTube ) and the 302 BOSS ( 2013 Mustang Boss 302 - Jay Lenos Garage - YouTube ).. He also prefers the 302.. Drives more precisely and sporty..
    Hey, Walters, my 98 Buick Regal GS gets 30-33 mpg. It's leather interior is like new. I will trade you even; your 2011 Mustang for my modified cruiser. What do you say?

Heck! I will even give you $5000.00 cash. Deal?
    Terry

Thread Information