Thread: Austin Healey 100S sells for £843,000

Austin Healey 100S sells for £843,000

The 1953 Austin Healey 100 driven by Lance Macklin that was involved in the 1955 LeMans tragedy just sold at Bonham's for £843,000 ($1,300,000). The majority of the coverage of this sale tended to focus on that sad event, but IMO the car was historically significant in many other ways. Not just for being what Levegh's Mercedes skipped off of, but also one of the four "special development" cars that preceeded the 100S... a prototype that raced twice before at LeMans, and continued to race well into the 1960s. So, any guesses on where it's going... private collection or museum? Left as is, or restored?

A brief, interesting history of NOJ 393: http://www.bonhams.com/eur/auction/19293/lot/433/
    Last edited by csl177; 12-04-2011 at 07:04 PM.
    Never own more cars than you can keep charged batteries in...

hope it gets restored and does the rounds. would be nice to see in motion.
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

[QUOTE=csl177;978062] So, any guesses on where it's going... private collection or museum? Left as is, or restored?

We'll keep it on the radar. It is a car that could pop up at any significant British event (or Le Mans Classic) sooner or later.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

I think this one will stay as a survivor. If the buyer could have had a perfectly restored example to drive at historic races, he could have had one for almost 1/8th the price.

Yeah,, to see it running again could be great!! what a classic car it could be.
    Last edited by csl177; 12-11-2011 at 10:30 PM. Reason: spam sig removal

Quote Originally Posted by clutch-monkey View Post
    hope it gets restored and does the rounds. would be nice to see in motion.
    Me too. Love these early big Healeys and have owned a couple, but wish I'd bought a 100S when I had the chance.
    Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    We'll keep it on the radar. It is a car that could pop up at any significant British event (or Le Mans Classic) sooner or later.
    Good on you guys, should make quite a splash when it reappears after a comprehensive resto. Museum makes the most sense, any word on the identity of the buyer?
    Quote Originally Posted by demonrunning07 View Post
    I think this one will stay as a survivor. If the buyer could have had a perfectly restored example to drive at historic races, he could have had one for almost 1/8th the price.
    Well, it's not exactly a survivor as it was repaired at the works after a year in French impound and afterwards, raced well into the 1960s. Genuine 100S Healeys are in the $300,000+ range so more like 1/4 of the price, and most aren't raced... replicas are. The fitting thing for this most significant example is a full restoration to it's LeMans configuration; it will likely see that, to be presented at historic events. There's still dispute in some circles whether Macklin or Hawthorn caused Levegh's crash, but certainly the car can't be held responsible.

I would have paid 1,000,000

on a somewhat related note i was linked to this for sale very local to me..
    http://www.carsales.com.au/private/d...-1959-12043813
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

clutch, very cool... was that built in period?

will have to ask Daan, but if it's competing in historic classes here then it would be period correct parts at the very very least if i remember the rules correctly.
    i.e. i was refused entry to a historic hillclimb for having a later engine type.

edit: looks like it was built in 1959?

how many other supercharged Healeys do we know of?
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Fisher Shipping View Post
    I would have paid 1,000,000
    Well, if money is not an issue, I propose that you financially contribute to this site, otherwise we will have to remove your homepage as being free advertising.

Quote Originally Posted by csl177 View Post
    The 1953 Austin Healey 100 driven by Lance Macklin that was involved in the 1955 LeMans tragedy just sold at Bonham's for £843,000 ($1,300,000). The majority of the coverage of this sale tended to focus on that sad event, but IMO the car was historically significant in many other ways. Not just for being what Levegh's Mercedes skipped off of, but also one of the four "special development" cars that preceeded the 100S... a prototype that raced twice before at LeMans, and continued to race well into the 1960s. So, any guesses on where it's going... private collection or museum? Left as is, or restored?

A brief, interesting history of NOJ 393: http://www.bonhams.com/eur/auction/19293/lot/433/

That's really awesome car and hope it gets restored very soon....thanks for sharing.

Thread Information