1 3.57%
  • Mazda CX-5

1 3.57%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: UCP 2011 COTY Award [Voting]

£30,000.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

I've never heard of the Morgan 3 wheeler before opening this thread, but I haven't been in tune with the auto industry as of late. Looks like a gimmick but that's just me.

I went with the McLaren. In the way that the McLaren F1 became the gold-standard for supercars, the MP4-12C (did I get that right?) looks like the new benchmark for usable supercars. Incredible performance, comfort, handling, and functionality. I think the style will hold up for decades too, although it is a bit bland for some tastes.
    Rockefella says:
    pat's sister is hawt
    David Fiset says:
    so is mine
    David Fiset says:
    do want

Cars that I don't like

BMW M5 and Lotus Exige S

They simply betray too much the principles of their forebearers. They are too big, too heavy, too complex and too powerful.

The car that should win, but that I just can't vote

Nissan Leaf

The car that truly deserves the award here, being innovative, creative, ingenious... and flawed. But a step in the direction of solving a problem that sooner or later we will have to adress. It also impersonates a car quite well.

The cars that should be exciting... but somewhat aren't

Lamborghini Aventador LP700-4 and McLaren MP4-12C

Both cars are truly great masterpieces of engineering. They torn upside down the segments they compete in. Their rivals seem so last century compared them. And yet you can't help thinking that they would actually be better if they were a little bit worse.

The (worthy) others

Ford Mustang Boss 302, BMW 1M Coupé, Porsche 911 GT3RS 4.0, Morgan 3 Wheeler

All of those cars (vehicles?) are the complete opposite of the ones mentioned above. They may not have the ultimate engineering solutions or be the last word in outright performance, but they are automotive milestones. They will be remembered decades after they were phased out of production which is a far more important achievement than having the latest four-wheel-drive-turobcharged-direct-injected-flappy-paddle monster. All of them would be worthy of my vote, but none of them is getting it...

My vote

Mazda CX-5

Because this is. I'm sure it won't win. It's not the most focused driver's car in the world. It's not even the most focused driver's car in the Mazda lineup. And unlike the Leaf it doesn't seem spectacularly innovative either. But seem is the key word here.

Forget about the car itself, I'm not even too interested in a mid-size SUV myself. What is important here is that it is the first in which Mazda has decided to showcase their new SkyActiv technologies. They range from new gearboxes to clever new building methods to make cars lighter and better and more enjoyable to drive.

But the most important thing of all this new Mazda ethos is that it's the car that signals that Mazda still believe in the internal combustion engine, and one that it's fueled by petrol no less. And us petrolheads should be very thankful that at least one manufacturer thinks that way.

For that alone, regardless of the actual abilities of the car it deserves the award.
    Last edited by Ferrer; 12-28-2011 at 02:31 AM.
    Visca Catalunya!

Glad to see the Leaf as an option, even if nobody actually votes for it.

My choice is the Boss 302. While a fan of Mustangs, the retro-ness of the current generation has annoyed me since about the second year of its run. Looking to the past for inspiration is one thing, but attempting to copy/paste out of the 1964½ Ford brochure undermines the work done on the 2005 brochure. The 302 seems like another offender: It is bedecked in "BOSS 302" and "5.0" badging, pulling off an impressive homage to two very disparate eras (neither of which being the present) and systems of measurement. However, by all accounts, the 302 is a modern car; the engine is a gem, the chassis is well-executed (because of or despite the flagpole between the rear wheels), the weight is low for its class, though it is still a pig, and, most importantly, it has cupholders. It manages to be faithful to the original while still being modern; revvy V8, road-racing chassis, and cheapish price.

On that last note, of the options, this is one of the very few cars we've nominated that is attainable for mere mortals.

By most journalistic accounts the 302 is successful at being no more or less than what it is and for that I think it is car of the year.
    "Kimi, can you improve on your [race] finish?"
    "No. My Finnish is fine; I am from Finland. Do you have any water?"

I voted for the Morgan because I love that it's just so different to anything else out there. In a world of regulatory burden it shows that you don't have to drive the same blob as everyone else, just as long as you don't mind making a few small sacrifices.. like a fourth wheel, and protection from the weather. It's made for one thing - find a nice road on a nice day and go have some fun. That's what motoring enthusiasm is all about, and in a world where petrol is seen as the enemy of the people, that could become all too rare all too soon.
    Life's too short to drive bad cars.

Quote Originally Posted by f6fhellcat13 View Post
    cheapish price.

On that last note, of the options, this is one of the very few cars we've nominated that is attainable for mere mortals.
    £42,000 in the UK for a wrong hand drive Boss 302 that is mass produced
    Versus £30,000 for a Morgan that is hand built
    Price is difficult to use as a yardstick when we are in such price variability.
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Hmmm...

Looking back on the thread, I read through the entries too quickly- I now see Exige, not Evora. If it was Evora instead of Exige, I would have voted for it. I forgot it came out a couple years back. I like the Evora a lot more than the Exige, it's a nice 911 competitor. Might be a smidge more expensive, but I definitely like the looks and is probably the last proper light Lotus. I'm not sure why the V6 is used in an Exige anyway, the 4 has been fine.

In that case, if I were to change my vote, I would have gone for the Porsche. Not the cheapest option in the list, but the 1M is too exclusive to be cheap- most dealers are marking it up anyway. Neither do I like the size of the 1M, it's smaller than I want at the wrong price point for me. The 3 Series is just about the right size.

The Porsche is the last version on the same flat 6 block, it's a fitting end to that series. It is at least somewhat attainable (if not the 4.0, regular GT3 is more car than I'd ever need).

The Mazda CX-5 would be my last choice of them all- I agree that the technology in the engine is important. But the last car I'd debut it in would be a stinking SUV or CUV, whatever the heck it is.

And since when were SUVs or CUVs ever interesting or worth noting for you, Ferrer?

And our car of the year is...

...the Morgan 3 Wheeler!

Congratulations to Morgan for having won this rather discredited award.
    Visca Catalunya!

Oh poo, this place is not a democracy.

I mean that with the greatest respect for Wouter and Co who run this place: the UCP front page is their domain, the forum is a place for those of us who enthuse about these things to have our say. The UCP community COTY is the Morgan, the UCP COTY is the Aventador. They are two separate yet totally valid considerations. Lets keep these things in perspective and continue our lovely, cheerful community regarding all things motoring. With occasional pervasive spammist incursions.

Morgan let UCP drive their car, so basically the thought of driving a aventador is better than having driven the Morgan.
    "Horsepower sells motor cars, but torque wins motor races."
    -Carrol Shelby

This place has never been a democracy...

However to allow a unanimous decision to be reached I am willing to test drive both the Morgan and the Lambo back to back and give my final and binding decision.

I understand this would be a grave and frightful task, but I am willing to go through with it and do not need others to help. W knows my e-mail address to arrange my flights...
    Chief of Secret Police and CFO - Brotherhood of Jelly
    No Mr. Craig, I expect you to die! On the inside. Of heartbreak. You emo bitch

It's heartwarming to have such dedicated members of the community, it really is. Kudos to you, Cyco.

TOP Gear voted the aventador as supercar of the year as well. The Citroen DS5 was the Car of the year.
    Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you."
    — Jeremy Clarkson

Thread Information