Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Supercars Annual '69

Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
    dog ear, how many GB is your collection of magazine scans/data total?
    That's a loaded question, there Kidy.

My Pictures Files where I actually keep all my (currently) magazine scanned documents is 12.5 GB. It contains approximately 40,137 pics.

My Documents File are huge. 60 GB with 335,535 files. LOL

Then I have my videos on Ant.com that totals approximately 45 GB.

That only covers what |I have on my laptop. I have 6 large boxes of soft and hard cover books tha I intend to scan and include in my libraries.

At one time, I could have rivaled Fleets magazine stach but when I went to college, an aunt of mine decided to clean house and burn approximately 1,000 magazines.
    Terry

dog ear, how many GB is your collection of magazine scans/data total?
    My road test database is only 1GB.
    Terry

That is a truly amazing and valuable trove.

Do you have any more recent scans, for example, Car and Driver from the 80s and 90s?

I used to keep my old magazines, and over the years I have had quite a few subs. I made the right choice in getting rid of nearly all of them as they would have taken up so much space and I would not have reread them. If only at the time I got rid of them, I could have used a rapid scanner a la Google's to store all the data electronically.

Quote Originally Posted by dog ear View Post
    My road test database is only 1GB.
    What format is it? Can you give us any more info on this database?

I'd love it if I could get a copy somehow.

My road test database is in Excel.
    Terry

That is a truly amazing and valuable trove.

Do you have any more recent scans, for example, Car and Driver from the 80s and 90s?
    I have not scanned many articles (yet) from the 80s / 90s, because you can get that info fairly easily off the net. I only scan modern stuff out of personal interest.

I do have articles on Vettes, Mustangs, etc., but not a whole lot on foreign models. My database includes most of the road tests for Porsche, Ferrari, Lamborghini, Maserati, Jaguar and other exotic sports cars, and when I obtain newer specs, I store them and eventually, I update the database accordingly. It is all very time consuming.

In the case of modern magazine road tests and other interesting articles, I usually download the web page for future reference, totalling several thousand pages of material. Every so often I sift through those web pages and input that raw data and thus update my road test database. When I am finished entering the updated specifications from those web pages, I will cut, copy, and paste that which is of interest to me, into a new document. In this way, I discard a lot of unessential information.

Through the years, this process has proved very fruitful in as much as obtaining solid reliable information and specifications that people find benefical.
    Terry

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    Do the tests contain comparisons of laptime figures on specific tracks?
    Henk, here is road test data showing laptime figures. The hi-performance Plymouths for 1970.

(From Car & Driver, June, 1970)

Regarding the laptimes, I think the biggest surprise is that the average laptime for the bigger, heavier Road Runner is slightly better than that of the 'Cuda 340 and the Duster 340.

As can be seen, these cars were driven by professional drag racers Sox & Martin, so in the hands of the average driver, the 1/4 mile times would be not quite as fast.

As expected, the Hemi-'Cuda easily ran in the 13s every time with a best of 13.39 secs @ 108.17 mph. The Duster 340 just barely dipped into the 13s... very good for a "small" V-8.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    '76 Cadillac Fleetwood Seventy-Five Limousine, '95 Lincoln Town Car.

thanks for that fleet,
    this btw is Willow springs.

[ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Willow_Springs_International_Motorsports_Park"]Willow Springs International Motorsports Park - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

lap record by some Indy car, 1.06.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Thanks for the link, Henk.
    The Willow Springs track was mentioned quite a bit in the '60s car magazines. Being in the desert, events were not rained out often!

That track sure dates back many years.

Since this thread is about '69 Supercars, here is a scan of one of my favorite road tests... a 1969 Dodge Dart GTS with the factory 440-4 bbl option. With automatic transmission and 3.55 gears. The testers said the original tires (E70x14) were ridiculously skinny and traction was terrible. With a change to wider tires (not slicks), the car ran a 12.7 sec @ 112 mph 1/4 mile. Very good performance for not much cost...

Hey Fleet, that June, 1970 C&D test was one of their better ones.

Like I said earlier C&D got better as time went on, especially in the 68-72 time period.
    Terry

Quote Originally Posted by Fleet 500 View Post
    Since this thread is about '69 Supercars, here is a scan of one of my favorite road tests... a 1969 Dodge Dart GTS with the factory 440-4 bbl option. With automatic transmission and 3.55 gears. The testers said the original tires (E70x14) were ridiculously skinny and traction was terrible. With a change to wider tires (not slicks), the car ran a 12.7 sec @ 112 mph 1/4 mile. Very good performance for not much cost...

What mag is that Dart test from Fleet?
    Terry

Hey Fleet, that June, 1970 C&D test was one of their better ones.

Like I said earlier C&D got better as time went on, especially in the 68-72 time period.
    Yes, remember, though, that was an ad which appeared in C & D. With Sox & Martin doing the driving.

Anyway, here is another tests which is among my favorites. A 1969 Plymouth Road Runner with 440-6 bbl and 4-speed transmission. With (professional) Ronnie Sox driving, it runs a 12.98 @ 111.66 mph 1/4 mile!

What mag is that Dart test from Fleet?
    Oh, I forgot to mention the magazine. Both that 440 Dart and the 440-6 Road Runner are from Drag Racing magazine, June, 1969. I bought this magazine at a used book store in the late-'70s.

Hey Fleet, I dig the 440 Six Pack / Six BBL itself I would have liked to have owned one back in the day, but they were not very good street going machines. For one thing; you would not have had that hood for long. Somebody would have stolen it first chance they got. Same thief probably would have lifted the carbs and intake at the same time.

I drove in a few Six Packs / Six BBLs in my time and every time I went away with mixed reviews. Each car was vastly different in state of tune. They never did perform the same. Some bogged off the line if you gave them too much gas; while others had a flat spot just off idle. It amounted to the same thing; problematic carburetor adjustments.

End carbs were vacuum-controlled and not well synchronized to the center carb from the factory. You really needed to re-jet and screw with the end carbs vacuum in order for them to work properly. Not many people knew how. You had the same kind of thing with duel four barrels. Multiple carbs were not very practical on most of those big blocks, unless you went to mechanical linkage, and performed a re-jet. After that, you attacked the ignition and modified the distributer timing with less advance, more initial and more total. Once you went that far, you might as well buy headers and slap them on and forget about it. Then you had a solid base to play with the big boys.

I actually preferred the Dodge Super Bee over the Plymouth Road Runner for one very good reason. Gauges were much better in the Bee. They were standard high ticket Charger items. Styling was a toss-up between the two.

Another thing! I have a lot of road tests on the first year 440-6 ‘Bee and ‘Runner, and that June 1969 Drag Racing magazine article struck a chord while reading it. The claimed 12.98 ET @ 111.66 mph got me thinking. It seemed too good to be true so I checked my data files and came away with a smile.

While the times are out-of-sight, you should know that that particular RR was almost certainly a 'ringer.' Those times were not factory stock I can assure you. The car was definitely 'super-tuned,' and modified.

I will post two interesting articles here that feature the very same car and tell the same story. Both magazines categorically state that the car in question was not stock.

I am not sure if the exact same car pictured in the two articles I am posting is the same vehicle in the June 69 Drag Racing article you posted. All three articles elude to a red car being tested but the plates are different in your article. That in itself is meaningless because the manufacturers switched plates at will. Otherwise identical cars may have different paint jobs and either manufacturer or dealer plates installed for various tests and or reasons. Same thing happened with wheels and tires. All can and did get switched for marketing reasons.

If any of you should want to read Super Bee articles I can post some. Let me know.

Here is the first article from JUne, 1969 Super Stock & Drag Illustrated magazine.
    Terry

Thread Information