Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 192

Thread: Supercars Annual '69

  1. #16
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    183
    Quote Originally Posted by Fleet 500 View Post
    There was a Ram-Air Toronado in the '69 Supercars Annual issue. 455-cu-in engine, 400 (gross) horsepower, 500 lbs-ft torque 3.21:1 axle ratio. No exact weight given... just "almost 5,000 lbs."
    1/4 mile was 15.4 secs @ 91 mph.
    I do not think that I have that full road test on hand, although I have some of the specs for it on my database. I do have at least one road test on the W-34 Olds Toro model. I believe that it is the Car Life article, but I will have to check. I do have other articles on the 68-70 Olds Toro.

    I also have at least two Olds Delta 88 W-33 road tests from 1968-69. I can post them if you are interested.

    My uncle bought an original 1970 Olds Delta 88 Custom Royal W-33. it had the auto & a 2.94.1 non-posi rear. Very quick car and a story I will relate soon.
    Terry
    _______________________________________________________________________
    You know that you have it made, when you want for nothing, ask for everything, and receive exactly what you "deserve".

  2. #17
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    San Fernando Valley, Calif.
    Posts
    6,788
    Quote Originally Posted by dog ear View Post
    I do not think that I have that full road test on hand, although I have some of the specs for it on my database. I do have at least one road test on the W-34 Olds Toro model. I believe that it is the Car Life article, but I will have to check. I do have other articles on the 68-70 Olds Toro.

    I also have at least two Olds Delta 88 W-33 road tests from 1968-69. I can post them if you are interested.

    My uncle bought an original 1970 Olds Delta 88 Custom Royal W-33. it had the auto & a 2.94.1 non-posi rear. Very quick car and a story I will relate soon.
    It was a one-page test, no test data chart; the test results were mentioned in the text.

    I have at least two Toronado tests by Motor Trend from '69-'71.

    Okay, post that '68/'69 Delta 88 test if it ran a good 1/4 mile!
    '76 Cadillac Fleetwood Seventy-Five Limousine, '95 Lincoln Town Car.

  3. #18
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    183
    I am going to try an experiment: posting an inkling of my database for you readers to critique. Understand that this portion is not nearly finished.

    Let's see if I can do this properly. I was going to upload it in a PDF but I just pasted the excell doc into 2 pics for now. keep in mind, that this database was originally intended only for the 0-30 to 0-100 mph times and not mre, but, so many newer cars as well as the cxlassic European mdels went typically faster than the American versions of the musclecar / supercar, I decided to include those extra times across the board. Only problem I see is that it makes for a long excell document.

    Anyway, tell me what you think?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Terry
    _______________________________________________________________________
    You know that you have it made, when you want for nothing, ask for everything, and receive exactly what you "deserve".

  4. #19
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    San Fernando Valley, Calif.
    Posts
    6,788
    Quote Originally Posted by dog ear View Post
    I am going to try an experiment: posting an inkling of my database for you readers to critique. Understand that this portion is not nearly finished.

    Let's see if I can do this properly. I was going to upload it in a PDF but I just pasted the excell doc into 2 pics for now. keep in mind, that this database was originally intended only for the 0-30 to 0-100 mph times and not mre, but, so many newer cars as well as the cxlassic European mdels went typically faster than the American versions of the musclecar / supercar, I decided to include those extra times across the board. Only problem I see is that it makes for a long excell document.

    Anyway, tell me what you think?
    Thanks for posting those. Some impressive times! Quite a few in the 13s and faster.
    I find most interesting the 0-60, 0-100 mph times and, of course, the most important one, the 1/4 mile e.t. and trap speed.
    '76 Cadillac Fleetwood Seventy-Five Limousine, '95 Lincoln Town Car.

  5. #20
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    183
    I will dig the Olds book out tomorrow and scan the Delta 88 W-33 and the Toro W-34 tests, as well as a 67 Delmont 88 Police Apprehender 425-375 hp article that I think you will like.

    Now that we are on a full-size kick, I will toss in a few Caddy, Chrysler 300, Big Ford and Mercs tests as well. I even have a few Dodge Polara articles.
    Terry
    _______________________________________________________________________
    You know that you have it made, when you want for nothing, ask for everything, and receive exactly what you "deserve".

  6. #21
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    183
    Here is a quick 3-car test from 1970. I believe that it is from Motor Trend...cannot be sure...do you have this one Fleet?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Terry
    _______________________________________________________________________
    You know that you have it made, when you want for nothing, ask for everything, and receive exactly what you "deserve".

  7. #22
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    183
    So you think that you like fast Toronados...
    Terry
    _______________________________________________________________________
    You know that you have it made, when you want for nothing, ask for everything, and receive exactly what you "deserve".

  8. #23
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    183
    Terry
    _______________________________________________________________________
    You know that you have it made, when you want for nothing, ask for everything, and receive exactly what you "deserve".

  9. #24
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    San Fernando Valley, Calif.
    Posts
    6,788
    A built engine and 5.12:1 axle ratio? I bet it really moves!
    '76 Cadillac Fleetwood Seventy-Five Limousine, '95 Lincoln Town Car.

  10. #25
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    San Fernando Valley, Calif.
    Posts
    6,788
    Quote Originally Posted by dog ear View Post
    Here is a quick 3-car test from 1970. I believe that it is from Motor Trend...cannot be sure...do you have this one Fleet?
    Yes, I have that one. Definitely from Motor Trend. From 1969. The New Yorker did well... 1/4 mile deep into the 15s.
    '76 Cadillac Fleetwood Seventy-Five Limousine, '95 Lincoln Town Car.

  11. #26
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    183
    Quote Originally Posted by Fleet 500 View Post
    A built engine and 5.12:1 axle ratio? I bet it really moves!
    I recall reading about the Pikes Hill Climb Toro years ago and the various iterations that have competed there, have always impressed me. You would need (5.12.1) gearing in order to make it up the mountain in style, but imagine the racket that 14.5 C.R. engine would have made at the starting-line? Basically, they would have been super stock W-30 type engines with hard core aftermarket upgrades like the article insinuated. 500 gross hp would have been an easy mark. Not sure about the longevity of the engine with that king of compression…probably a grenade waiting to happen.

    Have you ever read about the ‘’Terrifying Toronado’’ exhibition style drag car? Or, the duel-engine 1966 Olds Toro road-going car that ran around Germany in the late 60s? Admittedly, I have scarce information on these cars, but, I do possess a few tidbits. They were awesome cars.

    Later on down the road, I have two unique stories to tell about (two) real-world Toro’s that I actually seen, and experienced during the seventies.
    Terry
    _______________________________________________________________________
    You know that you have it made, when you want for nothing, ask for everything, and receive exactly what you "deserve".

  12. #27
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    183
    Here is an early February, 1968 Popular Mechanics article on the Delta 88 W-33 Police Apprehender.
    Terry
    _______________________________________________________________________
    You know that you have it made, when you want for nothing, ask for everything, and receive exactly what you "deserve".

  13. #28
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    San Fernando Valley, Calif.
    Posts
    6,788
    Yes, I have that road test. I would list the tests I have but it would take a long time!

    That Olds did well for acceleration considering it it a full-sized car and weighed well over 4,000 lbs.
    '76 Cadillac Fleetwood Seventy-Five Limousine, '95 Lincoln Town Car.

  14. #29
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    San Fernando Valley, Calif.
    Posts
    6,788
    Here is a test of a 1963 Dodge Ramcharger (also known as Max Wedge).
    A 4.2 second 0-60 mph and 12.5 @ 114 mph!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    '76 Cadillac Fleetwood Seventy-Five Limousine, '95 Lincoln Town Car.

  15. #30
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    183
    For comparisons sake, take a look at this July, 1969 Road Test Magazine article on the ‘’standard’’ 1969 Olds Delta 88 with the optional 4V 455-365 HP engine. This was the engine that most people remember in these cars. Most people never heard of the W-33 option even though it was widely available. Nonetheless, the W-33 was way faster than the base model in every aspect.

    I am aware that the base model 455-4V engine did have better acceleration in other magazine road tests of the period, but, I do not have access to them at this time. I will look in my database, and check for better specs just to be certain. If I find anything better I will post them.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Terry
    _______________________________________________________________________
    You know that you have it made, when you want for nothing, ask for everything, and receive exactly what you "deserve".

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Gran Turismo 5
    By Sauc3 in forum Gaming
    Replies: 1020
    Last Post: 05-19-2014, 03:16 PM
  2. V8 Supercars renegotiating China date
    By fpv_gtho in forum Racing forums
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-10-2006, 04:48 PM
  3. Replies: 15
    Last Post: 09-06-2004, 11:29 PM
  4. Globalising V8 Supercars
    By fpv_gtho in forum Racing forums
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 04-14-2004, 06:52 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •