Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: You Are Transported Back To The 1970s... What Would You Miss Most?

Do we get to travel back to the '70s with a 2012 bank account?

I would not miss out and buy every dream ride and significant race car lusted for then, but waaaay outta reach now.

Avoiding disco would be just as hard as it was the first time around, but the collection would be worth a few years of discomfort.
    Never own more cars than you can keep charged batteries in...

The constraint is that it is a visit and that you are there only for a month or two.

I was talking about this to my friend and he agreed it would be awesome. Go back with some friends and party in 1970.

Quote Originally Posted by csl177 View Post
    Do we get to travel back to the '70s with a 2012 bank account?

I would not miss out and buy every dream ride and significant race car lusted for then, but waaaay outta reach now.

Avoiding disco would be just as hard as it was the first time around, but the collection would be worth a few years of discomfort.
    I'm not sure about going back with a 2012 bank account. I'll have to think about that!

If so, I would buy a few Hemi Mopars, like a '71 Plymouth 'Cuda (only 11 were built/sold) and store them for about 25 years! Then sell it for a few million $.

Yes, avoiding disco would take some effort but it would be worth it in the long run.
    '76 Cadillac Fleetwood Seventy-Five Limousine, '95 Lincoln Town Car.

In order for this to be a true 70s trip, you have to rid yourself of all modern luxuries and conveniences, including your bank accounts.

You have to be specific and pic a year, or at least a time-frame. Things were not the same throughout the decade. Early seventies were way different than the later years. If you lived in Toronto, Ontario, Canada, there were definite limitations. So you must choose early, mid, or late 70s.

I would pick mid-seventies. (1974-1977)

First off, there were no Tim Horton Donut Shops on every corner. Not even in every city, or town like today. Laws were more liberal. You could actually drink and drive and not get into too much trouble. You would have to be very intoxicated. Chicks really dug the cars, and you should be wearing your hair long.

Disco sucked but then like now you could pick and choose your music. ATMs were extent but five ‘bills’ max was the norm. Most people did not use them anyway. They were deemed too complicated. Hemi anything was very expensive. So were Shelby Cobras and all other exotics, including the coveted Corvette.

If you were real astute, and I know that we all are, so I will let you in on a secret that nobody cashed in on until the late 80s. Search out a pristine 1970 Buick GS Stage 1 and drive in style. They were not sought after like other musclecars. They were not really noticeable unless you had the GSX, with the wild paint scheme. Nobody realized what they were and nobody thought of Buicks as being anything other than your dad’s automobile. Police never bothered you because they were not considered ‘heat scores.’ Mine was cheap. $650.00 and a quarter pound of the finest grass money could buy. Say less than a grand.

‘Bout the only real things I would miss going back would be my pension check and my current 1998 Buick GS. It gets better gas mileage than the 1970 ever could. My 70 actually had a few more luxury oriented conveniences than my 98, and the ‘98 is not as fast, or stylish.

If I could go back knowing what I know today, I would be reeling in money, have a full head of hair, and no health problems. My passenger seat would always be occupied because I know a sweet young lady that would love to share my company. I would not miss anything else. Friends? Who needs them when you go visit the seventies. For twenty-five bucks, you could cruise all night, have a few beers, and probably pick up a chick, and not get bothered by the cops doing so.
    Terry

You bought your Buick with cash and a quarter pound? That is insane.

A quarter pound for around 300 bucks? That is hilarious.

Hey, it's probably not cheap driving up to Nova Scotia.
    I'm dropping out to create a company that starts with motorcycles, then cars, and forty years later signs a legendary Brazilian driver who has a public and expensive feud with his French teammate.

Wow, you know TPB? Props to you. One day, imma have to watch all of the episodes.

For the record, that is probably by far the best TV show Canada has ever produced, with the second best being... I got nothing.

EDIT: Kids in the Hall and SCTV.

We are a funny people.

Thread Information