Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Isn't McLaren MP4-12C too heavy and underpowered compared to the F1

Quote Originally Posted by kingofthering View Post
    ACR is to the SRT-10 as the GT3 is to the 911. It straddles the line between street-legal and full-on race car.
    Yes, but unlike the GT3 is has the performance to make it a supercar.

The GT3 is a wonderful street legal track day special, but because it has "only" 500 hp, isn't the fastest car - or even 911 variant - that Porsche makes, and is lacking more brutish performance numbers I consider it a high end sportscar.

EDIT: In the end, I - and I alone - am the arbiter of what is a supercar, and what is not. I have a set of criteria that has been revealed here over the years, and it can be vaguely abbreviated thusly: "I know it when I see it."

Quote Originally Posted by Magnum9987 View Post
    Well the world has changed quite a bit. Safety and emissions standards really demand more weight. Not to mention, the F1 didn't offer any profit since they made so few for such a small market. The MP412c appeals to a much wider market and thus will make much more money. McLaren wouldn't survive long if they made a car that didn't make them any money.
    The F1 was able to withstand the crashtest and you could still drive it afterwards thanks to the long front overhang containing no radiators combined with the sturdy carbon fiber.
    Emissions standards have tightened but the F1 engine was BMW. BMW could make an even more powerful engine now despite the pollution regulations.

Quote Originally Posted by Magnum9987 View Post
    Well the world has changed quite a bit. Safety and emissions standards really demand more weight. Not to mention, the F1 didn't offer any profit since they made so few for such a small market. The MP412c appeals to a much wider market and thus will make much more money. McLaren wouldn't survive long if they made a car that didn't make them any money.
    It almost sounds like McLaren is "degrading" the marque for "peanuts".

Quote Originally Posted by acfsambo View Post
    Also, the MP4-12C wasn't a replacement for the F1. Supposedly they are currently designing an F1 replacement.
    Hopefully...

Quote Originally Posted by Big time View Post
    It almost sounds like McLaren is "degrading" the marque for "peanuts".
    No, degrading is when they slap McLaren onto pencils and polos. I hardly think a $200K+ USD sports car is considered "selling out" to the masses especially since it has all this trick aero/powertrain technology, not to mention all the CF bits.

Let's face it - as cool as it would be for McLaren to build the F1, they still have to make payroll. If they can make more $ while making a car true to their ideals, so be it.
    I'm dropping out to create a company that starts with motorcycles, then cars, and forty years later signs a legendary Brazilian driver who has a public and expensive feud with his French teammate.

It's just a different car... Less hardcore, more comfortable

This one ran 10.3 @ 134.97 MPH...., the 2013 updates seem to make a big difference...

2012 Mclaren MP4-12C: 10.3 @ 134.9 MPH

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=cPJ9ItB7zPI"]2012 McLaren MP4-12C Drag Racing 1/4 Mile runs 10.37 @ 134.95 MPH Stock - YouTube[/ame]
    2005 Mercedes-Benz E55 AMG - 11.66 @ 120.41
    1996 Dodge Viper GTS - 11.62 @ 120.61
    2007 Audi Q7 4.2

Thread Information