View Poll Results: Will the DeltaWing Crash?

Voters
7. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

4 57.14%
  • No

3 42.86%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The DeltaWing

Not to be cynical, you don't go into racing to economize fuel. I understand there's the whole "social responsibility" part, but seriously, if you think that way, if we stopped racing completely, how much fuel would be saved that way?

Or you could look at it another way- if the US stopped starting wars in remote countries, how much money and human lives we'd save if we didn't need to truck fuel for the war.

If they want to do "out of box", they would've gone away from the whole "Sports Car" concept....All of the current rules from the 2 "seats", covered wheels, homologated engine in P2 cars, higher minimum weight, large wheels...etc was to keep some identity to sports car and away from F1 style Grand Prix car. Otherwise if you want to do better aero, more efficient aero and such, there are no reason to keep the whole "2 seater" theme in tact.

At anyrate, ACO wants any publicity they can to trump the F1 crowd, and Delta Wing is a "look at me" project, even though I still think it does not fit in the mold of what this kind of racing is about...Delta Wing can never be a real "car" or ever be relate-able to cars we see on the road, and they already have a series for that in F1...
    University of Toronto Formula SAE Alumni 2003-2007
    Formula Student Championship 2003, 2005, 2006
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

Quote Originally Posted by NSXType-R View Post
    Not to be cynical, you don't go into racing to economize fuel. I understand there's the whole "social responsibility" part, but seriously, if you think that way, if we stopped racing completely, how much fuel would be saved that way?

Or you could look at it another way- if the US stopped starting wars in remote countries, how much money and human lives we'd save if we didn't need to truck fuel for the war.
    we managed to reduce fuel consumption on road cars considerably, without affecting their performance. Why can't we try to achieve the same for racing cars?
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by RacingManiac View Post
    If they want to do "out of box", they would've gone away from the whole "Sports Car" concept....All of the current rules from the 2 "seats", covered wheels, homologated engine in P2 cars, higher minimum weight, large wheels...etc was to keep some identity to sports car and away from F1 style Grand Prix car. Otherwise if you want to do better aero, more efficient aero and such, there are no reason to keep the whole "2 seater" theme in tact.

At anyrate, ACO wants any publicity they can to trump the F1 crowd, and Delta Wing is a "look at me" project, even though I still think it does not fit in the mold of what this kind of racing is about...Delta Wing can never be a real "car" or ever be relate-able to cars we see on the road, and they already have a series for that in F1...
    just try to see DW as in inverted Morgan Threewheeler, and there you have your road car.....
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Technology transfer in Le Mans has been pretty considerable if you are VAG. FSI and TDI technology Audi uses for their Le Mans car are not race car exclusive, and they have greatly improved their road car powertrain development. Almost all the gasoline engine from Audi and VW are running the direct injection that was pioneered on the original R8. And the Particulate filter technology on the TDI(a Dow Automotive system, shared with Peugeot) is also being stress tested in racing environment. And they are making aluminum block diesel engine now, something that was unthinkable before, and they have made road car with this kind of technology. Its living up to the ideal of using racing as grounds for furthering technology, and in the case for Le Mans, being efficient is actually a performance advantage....

Besides, you add up ALL of the racing car in the world, the fuel use at their relatively low mileage is a tiny drop in the bucket...or for that matter, even the military vehicle also....A single car company sells MILLIONS of a car a year. There are no MILLIONs of tanks or MRAPs or JLTV running around in Afghanistan...

If we improve half a MPG on every car because of some technology on a race car, that probably offset the fuel used by all the racing cars used in a season.....
    Last edited by RacingManiac; 03-24-2012 at 11:04 AM.
    University of Toronto Formula SAE Alumni 2003-2007
    Formula Student Championship 2003, 2005, 2006
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

Saving fuel in Le Mans is as important as going fast.

Hmm, good point guys. I didn't look at it in that direction.

Thread Information