Thread: 2012 Monaco Historic Grand Prix Report and 300-shot Gallery ...

2012 Monaco Historic Grand Prix Report and 300-shot Gallery ...

This weekend Monaco hosted the biennial Historic Prix, which like the modern equivalent is held on what are normally the Principality's public roads. The allure of Monaco always attracts a stellar field of historic racing cars that this year ranged from late 1920s Grand Prix Bugattis to early 1980s F3s. The field of around 250 cars was spread over seven groups, including one for sports racers. Among the many interesting racers present was the Lotus 18 driven to back-to-back victories by Sir Stirling Moss and a very rare Ferrari 1512 F1, which featured the manufacturer's very first flat 12 engine. With the Armco barriers literally at arms-length, the Circuit de Monte Carlo always provides for exhilarating races. This year's Historic Grand Prix was no exception and one driver even managed to take a win after starting from the very last row of the in spite of the track's notoriously few overtaking opportunities.
    In addition to the on-track activities there were also various classic car auctions. Most successful was RM Auctions' second Monaco Sale, which saw well over EUR 30 million worth of machinery change hands.
    For the fourth time, our photographers ventured to the 'Cote d'Azur' to capture the event and the auctions in full detail. This has resulted in a detailed article and two galleries with a total of 300 shots. As always, you can expect a closer look at some of the event's best cars in the coming weeks but for now our Monaco Historic Grand Prix report should keep you busy for quite some time.

Enjoy the links:

2012 Monaco Historic Grand Prix - Report and Slideshow
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

Another great set of great cars

Shame so many classic wasted with GoPros gaffer taped onto roll bars
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine View Post
    Another great set of great cars

Shame so many classic wasted with GoPros gaffer taped onto roll bars

Virtually every car at the recent Mitty historic race event at Road Atlanta had a GoPro strapped to it somewhere.

I discussed the GoPro issue on 10-10 recently when I saw a car at the Revival which had three of them. Apparently not everybody shared my view that these should be disallowed, until Simon Hadfield silenced the discussion by supporting my point of view....
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

In the age of Youtube everyone wants to be a film star...but also people want to record a part of their own history that they love.

I don't have a problem with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dino Scuderia View Post
    In the age of Youtube everyone wants to be a film star...but also people want to record a part of their own history that they love.

I don't have a problem with it.
    it would not be too difficult to develop a Go-pro shape that is less obvious and obtrusive, perhaps a bit looking like a rear view mirror or something.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

The rollbars all look like afterthoughts, because they are, so seeing ugly cameras on ugly rollbars doesn't really bother me.
    "Kimi, can you improve on your [race] finish?"
    "No. My Finnish is fine; I am from Finland. Do you have any water?"

on "classic" single seaters the roll bar is the main structure at the core of the chassis and eninge mounting strength. Modern FIA regs have made some monstrosities for some race cars - eg caterhams

Go Pro need to produce a bullet version - or the bullet cam makers need to get competitive on features Also it amazes me how many dont purchase a proper bar mount which does help make the camera less obtrusive, BUT it is a horrible square box and wish they'd address that.
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Quote Originally Posted by f6fhellcat13 View Post
    The rollbars all look like afterthoughts, because they are, so seeing ugly cameras on ugly rollbars doesn't really bother me.
    Boom, headshot.

Thread Information