Thread: Villa d'Este winning Alfa Romeo and Eric Clapton's custom Ferrari 458 ...

Villa d'Este winning Alfa Romeo and Eric Clapton's custom Ferrari 458 ...

With a clean sweep of the silverware, this Alfa Romeo 6C 1750 Gran Sport Figoni Coupe took the 2012 Concorso d'Eleganza Villa d'Este by storm. Originally built as a show car for the 1933 Paris Salon, this late 6C 1750 also raced at Le Mans in 1935, winning its class. It was presented this weekend for the first time since a complete and sensitive restoration was completed. The work started back in 2008 when the current only finally managed to convince the longtime South African custodian to part with the car. His love affair with the car started many years earlier as he explained us that he still remembers vividly seeing the car on the road in Johannesburg while riding to school on his bicycle. At Villa d'Este, we captured every detail of the car and its very interesting history, which has resulted in a detailed article, illustrated by an 18-shot gallery.
    The most recent product of Ferrari's one-off program is this SP12 EC, which was commissioned by legendary guitarist and longtime car enthusiast Eric Clapton. Based on 458 Italia underpinnings the lines are a tribute to the 512 BB and were penned by Ferrari Centro Stile and Pininfarina. Clapton is particularly fond of the 512 BB; over the years he has owned three different examples. Sadly, Ferrari only released three pictures but we hope to get a better look sometime in the future.

Enjoy the links:

1933 Alfa Romeo 6C 1750 Gran Sport Figoni Coupe - Images, Specifications and Information

2012 Ferrari SP12 EC - Images, Specifications and Information
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

in all modesty, when I saw the car coming up for scrutineering, I immediately tipped it as the winner. That it would run away with all important trophies I had not expected, but it is something very,very special.
    Although the car has 85 BHP officially, according to the owner, 120 BHP might be closer to the real value for his car.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

I really like that Alfa, glad it won. Hope to see it at Amelia someday.

The Clapton car on the other hand is not very impressive IMO. Neither is his music IMO.

I actually kinda like the Clapton car. Make no mistake, if I had a million bucks to spend on a bespoke sports/supercar I would go to Pagani, Touring Superlaggera, and then Zagato before going to Ferrari/Pininfarina but I think this is a successful one-off.

I like this a lot more than the 458 and I really like how it draws on the styling cues of 70s and 80s without beating you over the head with retro-glam like most recent throwbacks do.

Quote Originally Posted by demonrunning07 View Post
    ... and I really like how it draws on the styling cues of 70s and 80s without beating you over the head with retro-glam like most recent throwbacks do.
    I think that´s exactly what makes this car so special. It´s not a lousy retrocar, but a fantastic interpretation of some styling cues of the BB transformed on a fantastic modern car.

I love it.

Thread Information