Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: the oldest car brand?¿?¿?¿?¿??

Quote Originally Posted by dydzi
    ford t model is first mass-production car - it was produced in factory 24h per day - on three shifts. it didn't have any customizations - even the body was always black. i've got some other photos of that old merc but i cant find them so i'll post them later. porsche made tractors as well to 60's
    wow,thats interesting,i didnt know that

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch8
    Mercedes-Benz was the first. The Benz 3-wheeler patented on Jan. 29, 1886, as a "vehicle with gas engine operation." Carl Benz received patent DRP 37435, which is considered the birth certificate of the automobile and the beginning of Mercedes-Benz. However, after its first drive on July 3, 1886, the No. 1 Patent Motor Car did nothing but gather dust in the backyard of Benz & Cie in Mannheim, Germany. It wasn't until 20 years later, in 1906, that Carl Benz had the original vehicle restored and donated to the Deutches Museum in Munich, where it still sits today.
    This is correct as far as the car is concerned, but at the time it was only called Benz. The name Mercedes came much later. Carl Benz started a new factory under his own name where he continued to produce cars until 1925 or so, until the two factories merged and the Mercedes-Benz company was formed (i'm writing this with no access to any background material, so I am bit cautious about the exact dates)
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Yes Mercedes Benz (or just Benz at the time) is the worlds oldest car manufacturer, but as an interesting piece of info, Oldsmobile was actualy the USA's oldest, and AC can claim to be Britain's.
    To Some, a rusted out 1989 GMC Suburban* is trash

But to Me, its home

When did Oldsmobile begin production? I had always thought it to be Cadillac and Ford as the oldest, both opened their doors and started producing cars in 1903. Also on the model T, please do not quote me on this but I think for the first year or two it was black and black only, reason being? It dried faster than any other color at the time. Red was later introduced then grey.
    2005 Victory Red Chevrolet Silverado Crew Cab
    2002 Concord Purple Harley Sportster 883XLC

"I think the Vietnam war is nothing more than the white people sending the black people to fight the yellow people in order to secure a nation stolen from the red people"-Anonymous

UCP's Biggest Chevrolet Corvette fan.

My info says

Etienne Lenoir (from France) who was made the first car in 1862 (WORKS with PETROL)
    But steam turbine has been used before clumsy cars for ages
    (I could'n find more info about turbinecars :P )

1885 KARL BENZ was produced the first car which is for SALE
    Me and my angels!!

...and...

..Benz produce 130 cars till 1986
    Benz made his cars in Mannheim city and put his cars a sign
    ... "Patent Motor Wagen Benz & CO Mannheim Gasmotorenfabrik.A.G." ...writen on it
    So i think that made it the first BRAND
    Me and my angels!!

all good info people. another little thing i picked up somewhere is that the Karl Benz's cars are called mercedes becasue that was his daughters name. i think, i know its something along these lines, that benz would onyl merge or share the patent or something with gottleibe daimler if he agreed to name the cars after his daughter, mercedes.
    [url]www.spenserheaps.smugmug.com[/url]

some more stuff, i did a portion of a research paper on the automobile:

the first sorta automobile was a french military steam powered 3 wheeler invented by, i think, joseph cugnot, in 1771

later in the early 1800s a 12 passenger steam powered tractor was made

in 1889 daimler and maybach made a car

same year karl benz made one

i did this like 2 years ago so i hope im right, i think i am
    [url]www.spenserheaps.smugmug.com[/url]

Quote Originally Posted by bk4uyeah
    AC can claim to be Britain's.
    IIRC AC was 1901.

J&C Stirling of Hamilton were manufacturing a car earlier and first advertisement for them for sale appeared in 1897.

( and anyone who asks if I was around at the time gets a severe SLAP )
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Thread Information