Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Personalized license plates

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    the sing sing is our slang word for jail....
    Sing sing is also a famous jail in NY state.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
    probably it came from there.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

This is my tag which my buddies said I would never get because you are not to have anything 'lewd' on the tag per state law. I had a list of five scripts I wanted and this was at the top of the list....I handed the list to the lady at the tag desk and she punched 'NISMOFO' in the system and said, 'Oh, this one is available'. It never dawned on her what she was reading so I told her to order it.

Then there was the period of time in between ordering it and receiving and I was half expecting to get a notice that someone along the line had caught it spawning a notice of cancellation. That was not to be and my buddies and I had a big laugh. I still get a bit jittery when a cop in my home town happens to be behind me on the road. It will definitely be interesting when and if I get a traffic violation.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Dino Scuderia View Post
    This is my tag which my buddies said I would never get because you are not to have anything 'lewd' on the tag per state law. I had a list of five scripts I wanted and this was at the top of the list....I handed the list to the lady at the tag desk and she punched 'NISMOFO' in the system and said, 'Oh, this one is available'. It never dawned on her what she was reading so I told her to order it.

Then there was the period of time in between ordering it and receiving and I was half expecting to get a notice that someone along the line had caught it spawning a notice of cancellation. That was not to be and my buddies and I had a big laugh. I still get a bit jittery when a cop in my home town happens to be behind me on the road. It will definitely be interesting when and if I get a traffic violation.
    why should it arouse excitement? Is it anyway offending?
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

why should it arouse excitement? Is it anyway offending?
    It's only offensive within the context of the rules. Half the public will 'get it' the other half won't...and the ones the do will more likely grin rather than be offended.

Quote Originally Posted by Dino Scuderia View Post
    It's only offensive within the context of the rules. Half the public will 'get it' the other half won't...and the ones the do will more likely grin rather than be offended.
    well, I get the nismo part, but the fo is a mystery to me

Mo'fo is southern slang for motherf**er. Or something. All states that have a personalized tag option are pretty strict about offensive innuendo, intentional or implied. Some have boards that review the applications, some just an employee or two... sometimes a perfectly
    innocuous plate gets flagged. NISMOFO is pretty tame, as the slang "mofo or mofro" in popular practice is really like saying "darn" or "shucks".

Good one, Dino... glad they let that by!
    Never own more cars than you can keep charged batteries in...

^Thanks for the explanation. However it is beyond me why somebody would put something like that on the back of his car, not my sense of humour me thinks,.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
    Coincidentally, in most states license plates are made by the prisoners in state incarceration.
    ^Thanks for the explanation. However it is beyond me why somebody would put something like that on the back of his car, not my sense of humour me thinks,.
    Maybe it's a US phenomenon... here's a Reuters story from earlier this week: http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...8540WX20120605

Anyway, three more. The BMWs were easy, but like "67 S" it's hard to believe that with so many vintage VWs here, "21 DLX" was available.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by csl177; 06-06-2012 at 03:07 PM. Reason: added photo

Quote Originally Posted by csl177 View Post
    Anyway, a couple more. The CSL was easy, but like "67 S" it's hard to believe that with so many vintage VWs here, "21 DLX" was available.
    a 21 window?

I do not understand it either.

Also curious are the patters, colours and pictures on US number plates. They var from state to state but can you personalise those as well?
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

a 21 window?
    Correct, 21 Deluxe.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    I do not understand it either.

Also curious are the patters, colours and pictures on US number plates. They var from state to state but can you personalise those as well?
    Yes... in a bewildering array of choices, from sports teams to political messages. Here's the State of Florida's online system to check availability; a separate page lists design choices. Not all designs can accomodate all number/letter combinations, so there is some limit to what you can get. But not much. BTW, the costs are relatively cheap compared to the UK style sales... states use this system to raise revenue beyond the cost of
    a standard tag. For vintage cars, the renewal price is the same, just $35.

https://services.flhsmv.gov/MVCheckPersonalPlate/

Florida DHSMV - FAQs on Personalized and Military License Plates
    Last edited by csl177; 08-03-2012 at 07:20 PM.

Beh, I forgot about your csl somehow, though it is your name.

I like you less now.

Those are my favourite plates. I have seen crap from many other states and provinces, but the commercial vehicle black on white Ontario plates (personal vehicles are blue on white) are the cleanest and nicest plates along with Euro plates.

NY state plates are brutal, and you see quite a lot of those here. Navy blue and dull yellow...

Well how do you feel about these?

Many of us here where good taste is not legislated call them "wanker plates". Largely due to this little gem.

http://youtu.be/vn5aSgv4Hp8
    "A string is approximately nine long."
    Egg Nogg 02-04-2005, 05:07 AM

this little gem meets with my approval.....

Thread Information