Thread: Oreca CN Prototype

Oreca CN Prototype

2013 Oreca CN Prototype

ORECA launches a new « entry-level » prototype in 2013 !

ORECA is expanding its « constructor» program with the launch of a third line of prototypes : a car destined as much for competition as for leisure will be born in 2013. In 2009, ORECA launched the Formula Le Mans and two years later the ORECA 03 made its race debut. Since then, the car has accumulated successes and podiums in endurance racing, and shined at the 24 Hours of Le Mans. In offering a third prototype, destined for competition and leisure, the Groupe ORECA is taking on a new challenge and entering a new market.

An innovative prototype!

The new ORECA prototype will compete in « CN » sportscars competition, such as the VdeV series, Speed Euro Series, international and national prototype championships, as well as hill climbing events. Against previously established competitors, ORECA wished to set themselves apart as Hugues de Chaunac confirms : « Our design and study department worked on this project, relying on CFD tools (digital wind tunnel testing) and structural calculations at our disposal. Innovation is part of our DNA and it was logical for us to go in this direction. Our goal is to offer a package that is competitive and attractive, while respecting the spirit of the particular discipline. In addition, we are particularly attentive to the needs of our customer teams, which is why a customer support program will be put in place to accompany them in their adventure. »

ORECA completes its « Endurance » line…

In a few months, the ORECA 03 and the ORECA-FLM09 will be joined by a little sister. A new car that responds to the current demand. « This « CN » type prototype responds to the needs of drivers and teams wishing to compete on circuits, in the context of competition or leisure, at a reasonable cost. » announced Hugues de Chaunac. « With the ORECA-FLM09 and the ORECA 03, we already have quality cars which, on one hand, allow teams to reach the highest levels of endurance racing, and on the other, allow teams to aim for victory in the 24 Hours of Le Mans and FIA World Endurance Championship. Today, we expand the offering with an « entry level » prototype. »

The new ORECA prototype will be available in a limited quantity for the first year. Quality, performance, reliability and innovation will be priorities in this prototype program. Its definitive characteristics will be unveiled at a later date and its competition debut is slated for the 2013 season.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I quite like the proportions from an aesthetic standpoint. Whats the reasoning behind everyone switching to a loop brace for the rear spoiler?
    "Horsepower sells motor cars, but torque wins motor races."
    -Carrol Shelby

The cockpit reminds me of a light aircraft's, I can't remember which, though. I also like the small wheels.
    "Kimi, can you improve on your [race] finish?"
    "No. My Finnish is fine; I am from Finland. Do you have any water?"

It looks like a Radical with a roof...
    no words about the motorisation? 2 liter engines? Stock blocks?
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

No technical details yet...

If anyone's interested here's the FIA Group CN specification:

Article 259 (2012) Technical Regulations for Production Sports Cars (Group CN) - published on 25.11.2011 - PDF
    Last edited by Ecnelis; 07-12-2012 at 12:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ecnelis View Post
    No technical details yet...

If anyone's interested here's the FIA Group CN specification:

Article 259 (2012) Technical Regulations for Production Sports Cars (Group CN) - published on 25.11.2011 - PDF
    thanks, so almost everything is possible, including diesel and rotary.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Sledgehammer View Post
    I quite like the proportions from an aesthetic standpoint. Whats the reasoning behind everyone switching to a loop brace for the rear spoiler?
    I seem to remember it has something to do with easier replacement?

henk will have a better answer.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
    I seem to remember it has something to do with easier replacement?

henk will have a better answer.
    fashion.

It is more efficient this way.
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

Looks weirdly out of proportion.

Whats the reasoning behind everyone switching to a loop brace for the rear spoiler?
    I was watching the 12 hrs of Sebring when Audi debuted them on the R10, they said they found them more aerodynamic

Quote Originally Posted by Cobrafan427 View Post
    I was watching the 12 hrs of Sebring when Audi debuted them on the R10, they said they found them more aerodynamic
    Thanks, I've wondered that for a while.

The proportions of the wheels to the overall length of the car actually reminds me of a contemporary F1 car.

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    thanks, so almost everything is possible, including diesel and rotary.
    But on practice it is Honda K20 mostly. In Speed Euroseries, if I'm not mistaken, they have a single engine supplier in the face of Honda. VdeV is (a bit) more different, but Hondas prevail anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Dino Scuderia View Post
    Looks weirdly out of proportion.
    Probably, if you compare it to LMP cars, but these are typical proportions for CNs.

What is really interesting is a closed cockpit - for some reason I thought you couldn't have one in CN. Nice to see more and more manufacturers offering these small prototypes of their own. I just hope Oreca's experience won't kill Wolf, Norma, Ligier and others.

Thread Information