Thread: ELMS 2012 Cancelled

ELMS 2012 Cancelled

One positive take away form this is the travel assistance to get some of the teams over for the PLM. Kudos to them for moving quickly with that decision.

In the second bombshell to be dropped from a sports car racing series organizer this week, the Automobile Club de l’Ouest and Peter Auto announced Friday that it has canceled the two remaining European rounds scheduled for this season.

Following continued struggles of reaching an acceptable grid size, the ELMS has pulled the plug on the races at Brno (Sept. 7-9) and Algarve (Nov. 2-4) and has instead reached an agreement with the American Le Mans Series to invite its full-season competitors to the Petit Le Mans in October.

It's believed up to 14 ELMS teams, that were registered for the full-season, will receive transportation assistance for the 1,000-mile/10-hour enduro at Road Atlanta, where they’ll join an expected field of up to 40 ALMS cars taking part in its season finale.

The latest development comes as a major boost to the race, which was not picked up as a round of the FIA World Endurance Championship for 2012 after a two-year stint as a joint Intercontinental Le Mans Cup/ALMS race.

The Petit Le Mans is expected to serve as a double points-scoring round for the ELMS, which will still award auto-invites to the 2013 Le Mans 24 Hours for its class champions in LMP2, GTE-Pro and GTE-Am.

Like the FIA GT1 World and GT3 European Championships, which were axed by the SRO this week, the ELMS has also struggled with car count issues, notably this season, which saw 21 cars, across four categories, take part in the season-opener at Paul Ricard in April.

While the second round of the season at Zolder was canceled due to grid concerns, a series-low field of 13 cars competed in last weekend’s Six Hours of Donington. It prompted a series of internal meetings between the ACO, series promoter Peter Auto and eventually the ALMS late this week, to come up with a short-term solution.

The most recent ELMS outing saw nine LMP2 cars joined by two GTE-Am machines along with single LMPC and GTE-Pro entries. The influx of prototype machinery would come as a positive development to the ALMS, which currently features three full-season P1 cars and four P2 entries.

"This situation is the result of the current economic climate and a very competitive GT market with numerous championships that have led to the dispersal of cars of this type in Europe," a statement from the ACO read.

"The organizers of the European Le Mans Series are working flat out on the future of the series, which is one of the essential competitions for training teams and drivers for the top level of endurance racing, the FIA World Endurance Championship and the Le Mans 24 Hours. This work will result in a proposal for the coming seasons and will be announced in September."

Pretty crazy to think about bc just a couple yrs ago it looked like the ELMS was going strong while the ALMS was slowly petering out. Also interesting is the fact that the ALMS is still going in a nation infatuated with NASCAR and what i feel has little knowledge about sports car racing. The competitive GT market is very true but i feel like Audi along with the economy really killed prototypes. Maybe they can pool their resources and make a single GT series attractive enough to draw in all of the teams that were scattered throughout.

The WEC has killed both series.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

I think GT1 was on the way out anyway for a variety of reasons.

Cobra, the BES looks to be a pretty successful GT championship.

I am interested in seeing if a world championship (as in the WEC) can survive.

There doesn't seem to be much coverage in mainstream media, is there? I mean is WEC broadcasted on the telly? I seem to recall GT1, GT3 even the International GT Open or DTM were/are much easier to see on TV.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

It seems a consolidated worldwide GT championship would be a good idea at this point, even if they at least started as a support category for F1 races.
    Life's too short to drive bad cars.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    There doesn't seem to be much coverage in mainstream media, is there? I mean is WEC broadcasted on the telly? I seem to recall GT1, GT3 even the International GT Open or DTM were/are much easier to see on TV.
    Motors TV covers WEC, the Le Mans 24 Hours was covererd by one of our commercial TV stations (RTL). I have no idea about other stations.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Le Mans was on Europsport, but I don't know if they cover the entire WEC as well.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

And now some news: HERE

Thread Information