Thread: Matra 670 history?

Matra 670 history?

I found a book online that I'd like to purchase about the Matra Le Mans cars, and one thing that I've always wondered about is the 670 and the different versions of them. And the previews I read from this book only muddied waters a bit.

First of all, in this book (Matra Sports Cars), it's said that the first 670s were basically R&D vehicles made to use up 660 left overs. However, I do wonder if that's far fetched, as the 660 and 670 looked markedly different, even around the cockpit area where the main chassis resides.

Another source of confusion is the "B" series 670s, which it seems that the main difference between them and the '72 670s was bodywork, namely a new nose with a concave section above the radiator intake that was missing from the '72 cars. Other than that, the cars seemed to be similar and the "B" designation was used to denote the new build cars. Also, one '72 670 was updated to "B" spec for LM that year it seems.

And then there's the "C" spec cars. I read online a very long time ago that the 670 C was supposed to be a major revision, but only a new nose with a "squared off" radiator intake (replacing the trademark Matra "upside down smile/frown intake), and newer short tail bodywork for the sprint races emerged for '74. Other than that, the C was basically the same as the B, and it also appeared that irregardless of bodywork, 2 of the 3 670's entered at LM were designated 670 Bs, even with the "C" bodywork.

Of course, I know about the 680, which had side mounted radiators and a much modified nose section. But even it wasn't an entirely new build car, being a re-bodied 670 B.

Can someone sort out fact from the murkiness about the history of the 670 lineage? How truly similar were the cars year to year, and if anyone has read the book, how accurate is it, as I'd like to buy it soon? Any Matra experts here at UCP?
    Power to me is having the ability to make a change in a positive way. Don't dream it, be it.

is it Ed McDonnaugh's book? Some of the pictures in their are ours...

and there is of course this

1972 Matra MS670 - Images, Specifications and Information

which you must have seen....
    Last edited by henk4; 08-07-2012 at 11:53 PM.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

That's the book that on the Google preview (depending on which preview you get) that says that the original 670s were in part built to use up 660 spares, and to be R&D cars for the '73 WEC versions. How similar were the 670s to the 660s, and, for that matter, how similar were the 670s to the subsequent B&C versions, because that bit does make it sound like there are quite a few detail differences.

Mostly, I wonder if the tubs were different between all of those cars. At least I know (and knew from the MatraSport site) that the 670B and 680 shared tubs.

Also, that car pictured in your link has the '74 LM B/C bodywork on it. A case of swapping number plates, or just a change of bodywork?
    Last edited by Chernaudi; 08-08-2012 at 01:56 AM.
    Power to me is having the ability to make a change in a positive way. Don't dream it, be it.

See if MATRA MS650 & MS660 helps shed light on the 660 chassis usage. I'll dig into some of my Matra literature and LeMans stuff to see if more chassis numbers/details. The 660 and 670 shared monocoque construction but I cant say for sure what differences there were in the tubs during the evolution

Did search some online sites in French with no luck .. BUT< found this ... and think I must have
    http://matra.com/e-bike/performance/...1972-2012.html

Attached Images Attached Images
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Riding that at Le Mans would get you bigger cheers than an Audi R8
    Also known as:
    CTD and CrashTestDummy

Cool bike! The kinked seat tube didn't make sense until checking the site, a carrier fits in the frame triangle.
    I really like the base model Runner 48, looks like a good commuter.
    Never own more cars than you can keep charged batteries in...

^ The carrier houses a battery and electric motor on the 2000 euro addditional option
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine View Post
    See if MATRA MS650 & MS660 helps shed light on the 660 chassis usage. I'll dig into some of my Matra literature and LeMans stuff to see if more chassis numbers/details. The 660 and 670 shared monocoque construction but I cant say for sure what differences there were in the tubs during the evolution

Did search some online sites in French with no luck .. BUT< found this ... and think I must have
    http://matra.com/e-bike/performance/...1972-2012.html

hahaha. We should make the same picture of the 2012 mercedes car.

Interesting history! Thanks for sharing..

Thread Information