Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: are there any cars that can match up?

Originally posted by Nildo
    Ok that is a really good point. Anybody can compare stats to get the answer they want. As I said, many cars aren't available in all markets. I've never heard of most of the ones you mention.

There is one really small nit I'd like to pick though. When you say a smaller engine can be more efficient due to airflow you are right. But when it comes to piston speed that is more relative to actual capacity per cylinder and bore/stroke ratios. Which is why I can't get the v10 viper motor when a 12 would be inherently more efficient.
    Sorry to take so long to get back to you, this thread is messy.

You are right about the V-12 of the same displacement being more effcient. Maybe for more torque? Having a longer deeper stroke usually produces a flatter torque line. I have never really questioned it. Thanx

Re: Re: its obvious

Originally posted by jadotch
    Fair enough. I do get defensive when I have to defend American cars honor so to speak. I prefer them, affordable and the performance I want. If you noticed I have not bashed any other countries cars. I would love to drive a s2000, or a Skyline, or from Europe a BMW M3, or a Vanquish. (Exotics don't really do it for me)

The tone of the thread was hostile to begin with, almost a challenges. Each country has there good points and bad points of cars.
    It would be like me going over to the Asian thread and say they cannot compete, try finding me a stock Asian car that runs high 9's in the 1/4 mile like the 68 Hemi Barracuda? Hell thats better than a McLaren, and in 1967, damn, the US must produce the best cars in the world. We all know this is just one aspect of a car, and just because the US does it better than most others, does not make it a superior vehicle. SO please understand the hostile tone some have taken.
    You make very good points...

except for when you say you want to drive an S2000... that car is a pile, it doesn't do anything as well as the faster, more efficient, better handling, and almost as cheap Corvette. The S2000 has earned its bashing in my opinion.
    Jay 13.3 @ 109 stock.

Re: Re: Re: its obvious

Originally posted by Jay 02 TA ws6
    You make very good points...

except for when you say you want to drive an S2000... that car is a pile, it doesn't do anything as well as the faster, more efficient, better handling, and almost as cheap Corvette. The S2000 has earned its bashing in my opinion.
    I just want to drive a car that revs that high once or twice in my life. If I had a choice, I would pick a corvette, but I still would test drive a S2000 to say I drove it.

Re: Re: Re: Re: its obvious

I just want to drive a car that revs that high once or twice in my life. If I had a choice, I would pick a corvette, but I still would test drive a S2000 to say I drove it.
    I guess, if you are trying to develop a resume of driving as many different cars as possible... for the sheer novelty of it. If I was doing such a thing, the S2000 would definitely be one of the last cars i would drive...
    Jay 13.3 @ 109 stock.

Re: Re: its obvious

It would be like me going over to the Asian thread and say they cannot compete, try finding me a stock Asian car that runs high 9's in the 1/4 mile like the 68 Hemi Barracuda?
    Please show me a 1968 Barracuda that run high 9's in 1968 STOCK. Please show me becuase I have never seen one run anything like that.

Dave
    1992 Mustang GT

Re: Re: Re: its obvious

Originally posted by 92GreenGT
    Please show me a 1968 Barracuda that run high 9's in 1968 STOCK. Please show me becuase I have never seen one run anything like that.

Dave
    You are right, I was mistaken, they run High 8's with modern tires and gas.

With tires from 1968, they ran mid 10's

"The big news for '68 A-bodies was the Super Stock 426 Hemi package, available in the Dart and Barracuda. This was a drag race only package, featuring a race-tuned Hemi and a seriously lightened body. Acid-dipped doors, lexan in place of glass, factory delete of anything not essential to life on the dragstrip (e.g. back seat, sound deadener, window cranks). Lightweight van seats on aluminum brackets were used in place of the factory bench. They had a little sticker which indicated that the car was not for use on public highways, but for "supervised acceleration trials" only. It ran the quarter in the mid 10's in '68. Today, these cars dominate the top NHRA Super Stock classes (SS/A and SS/AA), and have broken into the eights! (Mopar Muscle Apr/94, Mopar Action Dec/93, Mopar Action Apr/94, Chrysler Power Mar/94)."

http://www.allpar.com/model/cuda.html
    http://www.musclecargarage.com/superstockbarracuda.html
    http://members.aol.com/moparnuts/ss-aa.htm

So that car is not actually legal on the road then?

No, it was not legal on the road, but the average person (with money)could go into a normal Plymouth show room and buy one straight from the factory, and it was considered a production car.

Please don't take my statement as a challenge, it was an example, I am sure there actually are some Japanese cars that will match. (I just don't know them, but I do not know asian cars that well) I know the statement was way slanted towards the US side, it was supposed to be though, as the original post was. Still a bad ass cars .

Oh ok, yeah that works.LOL I thought you meant just a regular one.LOL Hey back in the day almost all of the muscle cars had there secret packages available. I know there was a package for the 68 I think mustang and it would run 10's back in the day too. Just like the Thunderbolt. Man those was the days, too bad I wasnt even thought of and my dad was a boy. Oh yeah, I am all for the american cars on this too, dont get me wrong I was just wondering what you was talking about.

Dave
    1992 Mustang GT

Re: no stupid

Originally posted by guyt_x
    and you have just proved how dumb there people are
    Nice error. That's classic.
    Last edited by Egg Nog; 07-18-2003 at 11:48 PM.

everyone just needs to live

are there events held in america like gymkana(turning left and right around cones) or skid pan days for american cars.

or is it only 1/4 mile drags?

Re: everyone just needs to live

Originally posted by guyt_x
    are there events held in america like gymkana(turning left and right around cones) or skid pan days for american cars.

or is it only 1/4 mile drags?
    I like how whenever anyone makes a good point contrary to your flawed view of the world, you just ignore it. Case and point: Your claim that Japan has higher emissions restrictions than the USofA - completely wrong. I responded and told you that. You ignored it and went back to your previous erroneous belief that American cars cannot handle. Once again, I will prove you wrong. They CAN handle, and yes, they have skidpad ratings. Many of them are higher than their European counterparts. The Corvette Z06 pulls close to 1 g. A Camaro SS (which everyone bashes on for being a straight-line car) can pull .94 g's when ordered with all available options. There is also a "slalom" that many cars are tested on (turning left and right around cones). Corvettes and Vipers rate higher in these tests than cars like the Murcielago.

I don't expect a reply from you on this... since it is about the 10th time that you have been proven wrong in this thread alone. All other times you just chose to ignore it completely, or come back with a completely childish display of namecalling. If you want to argue, do it based on facts, not outlandish and ignorant bold claims.
    Jay 13.3 @ 109 stock.

Re: Re: everyone just needs to live

Originally posted by Jay 02 TA ws6
    I like how whenever anyone makes a good point contrary to your flawed view of the world, you just ignore it. Case and point: Your claim that Japan has higher emissions restrictions than the USofA - completely wrong. I responded and told you that. You ignored it and went back to your previous erroneous belief that American cars cannot handle. Once again, I will prove you wrong. They CAN handle, and yes, they have skidpad ratings. Many of them are higher than their European counterparts. The Corvette Z06 pulls close to 1 g. A Camaro SS (which everyone bashes on for being a straight-line car) can pull .94 g's when ordered with all available options. There is also a "slalom" that many cars are tested on (turning left and right around cones). Corvettes and Vipers rate higher in these tests than cars like the Murcielago.
    The 2000 Cobra R got a 1.02 G's on the skidpad.

Hey Dweeb your family's lookin' fer yu...
    Last edited by ozexige; 07-27-2003 at 07:53 PM.
    A pox - a pox I say -
    a pox on all those that cling to the use of the oil-burning horseless carriage and pollute the King's highways and byways.

I wasnt aware of the awsome handling characteristics of the vipers and corvettes

I will look into these awsome cars and there amazing handling.

so do americans have gymkana's or slalom events for private owners or leagues ?

Thread Information