Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: are there any cars that can match up?

omfg i had to register here just to throw up one point youve all been missing. guy tx your a jackass for thinking american cars need to have huge engines to make power.

dodge neon srt-4 has a 2.4 litre turbo engine making 215 hp

general motors had this little 4 cylinder non turbo charged called a tech 4 that was carbeurated not sure if they still make them but they had 190 hp chevy also plans on dropping a 240 hp turbo motor in there cavaliers.

ford has there 2300 4 cylinder that had about 200 and its capable of making 500 hp with the right mods and no turbos.

so as far as your claims go that american cars need big motors to make power you need to do some homework and i dont mean watch 2 fast 2 furious its a movie get over it .

Re: stop being dumb

Originally posted by guyt_x
    fact: you are stupid.

stop getting yourself mixed up, an engine with a larger capicity is always going to have an advantage.

please compare cars with relatively the same displacement.

k thanks by
    How is he stupid? You're saying that these big American cars can't handle or do anything, and you just got told. Now you're trying to say that because they use big engines, they have an advantage over everything. So I guess that makes American cars the best, eh? You're the one who's saying it. In your mind the only way cars can compete is if they have the same displacement, what's wrong with other companies then, why can't they make a larger displacement engine? Get over this displacement garbage, if you haven't noticed over the years, companies like Porsche, BMW, and Ferrari have INCREASED their engine displacements to make more powerful engines.

yaaa thats right

good point

this whole discussion is sad. let it go and agree to disagree

does this 2003 Mustang Cobra come with a steering wheel?

cos american cars still cant handle worth shit.

and i dont know where you pulled those stats from but if those stats are correct then your "2003 Mustang Cobra" is the best car in the world.

but its not cos its a silly goose american car.

and the car is only cheap cos american screw over small countries
    for cheap raw matarials.
    Holy shit! I was going to read all the way thorugh this moronic thread so that I would know the most current topic of debate. Maybe this guy has already gotten smacked down for that comment, but I just have to reply instantly when I read something THAT stupid.

Those numbers are legit. The 2003 Ford Mustang SVT Cobra accelerates 0-60 around 4.5 seconds, and can finish the 1/4 mile around 12.5. It's legit... it's been proven... over and over. It also comes with an independent rear suspension (and yes a steering wheel) and pulls well over .9 g's on the skidpad. In case you have never heard of a skidpad -- that means the car handles VERY well. It has a 4.6 L, (281 Cubic inches) V8 that thorws out 390 horsepower, and 390 ft-lbs of torque (and that is underrated). This car is available for $35,000 US. Believe me, we Americans screwed over as many small countries as we could so that the price could be that low... I mean, that's our main political objective... make a cheap Mustang.

Apparently, as you said it yourself, the 2003 Mustang Cobra is "the best car in the world."

By the way... "silly goose" is not a good cut-down. It's stupid, it is something 1st graders say. Come up with something clever and stop making yourself look like an absoute retard. (In case you were wondering, "retard" is a better cut-down than "silly-goose").
    Jay 13.3 @ 109 stock.

Originally posted by xeroxed
    omfg i had to register here just to throw up one point youve all been missing. guy tx your a jackass for thinking american cars need to have huge engines to make power.

dodge neon srt-4 has a 2.4 litre turbo engine making 215 hp

general motors had this little 4 cylinder non turbo charged called a tech 4 that was carbeurated not sure if they still make them but they had 190 hp chevy also plans on dropping a 240 hp turbo motor in there cavaliers.

ford has there 2300 4 cylinder that had about 200 and its capable of making 500 hp with the right mods and no turbos.

so as far as your claims go that american cars need big motors to make power you need to do some homework and i dont mean watch 2 fast 2 furious its a movie get over it .
    Good point. But also... how does Guy feel about the Corvette Z06 getting better gas mileage than the Honda S2000. Seriously... what does technology do for that car anyway? It's slower, you have to rev it up to 6000 RPM before you go anywhere, it doesn't handle as well, AND it guzzles more gas. But I suppose you could always get your ass handed to you in a race, and then go by the guy screaming "I have more HP per liter!!!!" Boy, would that guy who won the race ever feel like a moron then.
    Jay 13.3 @ 109 stock.

"silly goose" is a nice way fo saying....

you are very nieve to think those american cars come any where close to europoean cars or asian cars.

the most watched motor sport is the world rally championship and formula one. and no american teams race.

what a pity you "silly goose's" dont have the balls to step up the challenge.

and as for the crappy mustang

well the new Subaru STi VII gets about 0-100kph in 4.6secs(with crappy emmission restrictions) and thats from a 2 litre motor.

Subaru = 2.0L 4.6sec
    Mustang = 4.6L 4.5sec

hmmm and the diference is ?

2.6 litres ... thats like another car.. hell thats a skyline motor.

but like Ive said america can afford to waste engine space because all your cars are subsidized, so people will buy them.

when american cars start showing there stuff in rally or in formula one then you can try make claims of how great your cars are.

but for right now just accept the fact that a whole lot of countries are doing it better than you ...much better.

if you make up the rules you are always gonna win.

Guytx you keep stating that the larger engines have more low end grunt.

Also lets compare 2 similar cars going for the same piece of market share

Lets compare the Chrysler 300M (The car was in production before the merger) and the Acura RL.

The RL is nearly 2x as much to begin with, lets look at the engine specs though because they are very very similar.

Both 3.5 L, both SOHC

The 300M is getting 250 HP, and 255 lbs of torque
    The RL is getting 225 HP and 231 lbs of torque

300M's final drive ratio 3.66
    RL'sfinal drive ratio 3.13

and to top it off, the 300M get better gas mileage
    the Curb weight is lower on the 300M

anyways if you pick and compare you can get the results you want.

BTW the 300M's interior is very very nice.

http://www.acura.com/models/model_co....asp?module=rl

Re: "silly goose" is a nice way fo saying....

... if you make up the rules you are always gonna win.
    Well, you seem to have made up the rule that small displacement is the only way to go, and that if you don't have high HP/L then you don't have anything special. See in America, we believe engineering doesn't stop at the engine... it's the whole car. If we get our cars to do 0-60 in 4.5 seconds, that's one hell of an accomplishment - just like it is for any other country when they get their cars to do it. You are very narrow-minded in your view of what makes a car a "good" car. It is simply a different way of accomplishing the same goal. By the way, I will soon be pushing 600+ rwhp, that translates to 706 HP at the crank on my 5.7 liter engine. That equals 124 HP/L. See? American engines are capable of that. As far as Rally or F1 is concerned. America is a capitalistic society - economic survival of the fittest. No one watches F1 racing or Rally racing... no one cares about it here, one damn bit. That is why no American companies give a damn about it. It's a money loser for them! Why would they invest in something they will receive no return from? American TV networks tried to force soccer in to popularity here a couple years ago... now the MLS has some of the worst soccer in the world and has just about faded into oblivion. Face it, we're a different culture... and the majority of Americans don't give a damn about F1 or Rally racing. They hate the "weed-whakcer" sound of small displacement engines. They love the roar of a meaty V8. They love head snapping low-end torque. And when American car makers can come up with an engine that does those things, and goes faster and handles better than most imports, all the while uses LESS GASOLINE... why wouldn't they do it? (By the way, I am talking about the LS6 in the Corvette Z06). It is exactly what their market is looking for.

And as far as "they only sell cars cheap because they are subsidized by the US government"... you had better have proof, because that is the most outlandish bold claim I have ever heard if you don't.
    Jay 13.3 @ 109 stock.

Oh by the way... doesn't the Ford Focus compete in Rally racing? I don't know for sure becuase I - along with the majority of other Americans - don't give a damn.
    Jay 13.3 @ 109 stock.

Jadotch in your comparison of engines you mention an Acura (honda) and a chrysler motor. Just wondering where the Honda engine was designed and built. It has been a long time, as far as I am aware, since honda went for a SOHC motor.

Isn't the multiple of silly goose 'silly geese'?

The fact is, the best and fastest Jap cars don't make it to america for a fair comparison with US vehicles. But I am also sure that the best US cars dont make it to south africa, for Guyt to make an informed choice either.

Jay 02 TA ws6 you are a silly narrow minded goose

going round in circle with a V8... what is fun about watching that.

I hate saying this but even the the australians have got V8 racing but they use a normal race track...you know LEFT AND RIGHT.

-------------------------------------------
    If we get our cars to do 0-60 in 4.5 seconds, that's one hell of an accomplishment
    but you people get it out of a huge engine....

with performance cars today:
    getting 0-60 in 4.5secs from a motor of FIVE LITRES or more is easy.

patting yourself on the head for getting it from a 5.7litre whatever american car is lame and in fact sad.

Re: Jay 02 TA ws6 you are a silly narrow minded goose

going round in circle with a V8... what is fun about watching that.

I hate saying this but even the the australians have got V8 racing but they use a normal race track...you know LEFT AND RIGHT.

If we get our cars to do 0-60 in 4.5 seconds, that's one hell of an accomplishment
    but you people get it out of a huge engine....

with performance cars today:
    getting 0-60 in 4.5secs from a motor of FIVE LITRES or more is easy.

patting yourself on the head for getting it from a 5.7litre whatever american car is lame and in fact sad.
    I never complimented NASCAR. It is dumb, although it IS popular. But just so you know, NASCAR does race on road courses as well.

This is the last time I will waste any more of my time responsing to your psychobabble garbage. Life is too precious to waste time arguing with complete morons.

Go take your unfounded bold claims elsewhere... I hear they need a new Foreign Information Minister in Iraq. Why don't you go calim the Americans are "nowhere within 600 miles of Baghdad" right while a tank rolls behind you on camera.
    Jay 13.3 @ 109 stock.

Originally posted by Nildo
    Jadotch in your comparison of engines you mention an Acura (honda) and a chrysler motor. Just wondering where the Honda engine was designed and built. It has been a long time, as far as I am aware, since honda went for a SOHC motor.

Isn't the multiple of silly goose 'silly geese'?

The fact is, the best and fastest Jap cars don't make it to america for a fair comparison with US vehicles. But I am also sure that the best US cars dont make it to south africa, for Guyt to make an informed choice either.
    It is in the 2004 model.

I can compare any engine and get the results I want. Lets take Truck engines.

Dodge Hemi Pushrod 2V 5.7L gets 345 HP
    Nissian DOHC 4V 5.6L gets 300 HP
    Ford Triton SOHC 3V 5.4L gets 300 HP
    Toyota DOHC 4V 4.7L gets 240 HP

And the US is capable of producing competive engines.

03 Ford 5.0L "Cammer" 425 HP
    03 BMW 5.0L 400 HP

Anyways my point is you can compare anything you want to make a point. And one more thing, smaller engines naturally rev higher than larger engines due to piston weight, friction air flow, ect ect. So like the anti-ryce sites say, if HP/L was the only thing that makes an engine good, we should all take a lesson from R/C model planes which get around 300 HP/L naturally asperated. Only if Honda could do that, then they would be as high tech as a model manufacture.
    Last edited by jadotch; 07-09-2003 at 02:59 PM.

Ok that is a really good point. Anybody can compare stats to get the answer they want. As I said, many cars aren't available in all markets. I've never heard of most of the ones you mention.

There is one really small nit I'd like to pick though. When you say a smaller engine can be more efficient due to airflow you are right. But when it comes to piston speed that is more relative to actual capacity per cylinder and bore/stroke ratios. Which is why I can't get the v10 viper motor when a 12 would be inherently more efficient.

Thread Information