View Poll Results: How much modification is acceptable?

Voters
28. You may not vote on this poll
  • Bone-stock only!

2 7.14%
  • It's a case-by-case matter

20 71.43%
  • Light utilitarian modifications are acceptable

3 10.71%
  • I want my car to be unique and mine! Modified and tailored to my needs is the only way

3 10.71%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Car Modification

Car Modification

What do you guys think of modified cars?

When I say that I mean running cars whose performance, aesthetics, utility etc... have been enhanced(in their owner's opinion), not as much the preserved and original vs. restored debate as that is another topic for another day.

I'll let you guys know my opinion in the near future. I can't now and I just wanted to make the thread before I forgot.
    "Kimi, can you improve on your [race] finish?"
    "No. My Finnish is fine; I am from Finland. Do you have any water?"

Wow, haven't had a poll ever since brochureman went on his rampage a long while ago. It's gotta be a case by case situation, for example, I think Ford F-150s are extremely boring but when a small lift kit and some big tires get put on, they make them interesting. But on the flip side, some cars look just fine stock and don't need anything. There's a Nissan 300zx i've seen around campus with big chrome rims, a quarter of a bodykit (just the back bumper) and aftermarket taillights that looks absolutely shitty

Gotta throw in another post here to get me off of 666, i'm kinda superstitious

Definitely case by case, some cars wear mods really well whereas others just look dumb. Also depends on the quality of the mods and the visual style being aimed for.
    Life's too short to drive bad cars.

chip tuning is enough. (and I put a Dan Gurney for President sticker on the back door).
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

I prefer to keep my cars looking standard, however on the technical side nearly everything is improved. I do try and calculate everything through before purchasing or making parts. It just gives me a lot of work but even more satisfaction afterwards. So on my car i'm running about 28PS more than standard with brakes very close to racing spec. and custom made springs/dampers with polybushes and custom strut braces all around.

gotta be case by case.
    For me all mods are about performance tho' and not "looks".
    So if it can be made faster/better handling then it's a must

PS: Tempted to go delete one of Cobra's posts to mess with his mind !!
    ( Aside. A fellow racer drives a car known as the "broomstick" and she has a witch vinyl on the car. At last race her last run gave her fastest time on Doune hillclimb for the weekend. EVERYONE was laughing when we saw her time .... 66.66s SPOOKY )
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine View Post
    Do it! Do it! Do it! You mods should find a way to keep his post count fixed to 666 forever now

More on-topic: Do you still use your RX-8 to go hillclimbing? Im considering racing the Puma as well, though I need a few more mods and a diet (the car, not me).

Just a question, are OEM options which modify the car considered to make a factory delivered car, a modded car?

For instance, the Hyundai i40 comes with bigger brakes (regardless of the engine or trim level) if you opt for 17 inch wheels instead of the standard 16 inchers.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

( Aside. A fellow racer drives a car known as the "broomstick" and she has a witch vinyl on the car. At last race her last run gave her fastest time on Doune hillclimb for the weekend. EVERYONE was laughing when we saw her time .... 66.66s SPOOKY )
    Haha if you do, then at least delete one of my first posts from my internet slang years when i was younger, they're pretty embarrassing

That is crazy! How close is the course to Stonehenge?

Nowhre near Stonehenge, Doune's in Scotland - just round the corner from the castle used in Monty Python and the Hoy Grail

Not far away though is a famous witch site !! The Witches of Logie :
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

I picked depends on the case.

Some modifications are okay- cold air intake, better tires, nicer rims (just don't add spinners or anything above 19 inches).

Others beg to be modified- Mustangs, Camaros, Corvettes, power is so easy that you can just put a supercharger on it.

If Civics are modified the wrong way, I'd rather the owner not modify it- it can go wrong very quickly.

Other cars, like the NSX, I hope are kept bone stock because I'd like to feel how they came as is from the factory because I would never be able to buy the first generation as it came.

Other cars I'd include in the same category as the NSX would in terms of keeping it completely stock would be the Porsche Carrera GT or the Lexus LF-A.

Nowhre near Stonehenge, Doune's in Scotland - just round the corner from the castle used in Monty Python and the Hoy Grail

Not far away though is a famous witch site !! The Witches of Logie :
    That's awesome! I love old historical buildings and especially cemeteries so that would be right up my alley. I'm also really fascinated by ghosts and spiritual happenings like that, the UK is my kinda place

How do you guys feel about brakes?

A lot of earlier cars only have rear brakes, or have drums all around. Would you change the brakes to a newer spec or keep the originality of the car?

Also, I forget which company, but they do bolt on modifications on suspension for muscle cars like the Dodge Challenger that make them handle much better. What do you guys think about it?

I think it's Hotchkis by the way.

How about tires? I have no idea which one is newer or older- bias ply or radials?

For older cars wouldn't that change the handling characteristics?

Bias ply is older....though not to say its not still in use....a lot of racing tire at club racing/amateur level are still bias ply...

I voted light, but really should be case by case I guess....light modification is what I'd do to my own car....

In the case of what NSX is asking, IMO that entirely depends on what you want to do. I love the newer style of these Pro Touring muscle cars, basically restored body work, updated/upgraded chassis/brake/powertrain technology. IMO thats like the best of the 2 world, which preserves the classic styling(more or less), but with cars that drives like a new car.

Some people prefer to fix up the old cars like how they are built, while some might want to make the car just drives better, a few of my coworkers have old muscle cars that they drive in the summer, and one of the thing most does is to give them more modern brake(maybe not modern big brake kit or something, but simply drum-to-disc conversion), if you want to actually drive them, something that makes it safer is probably not a bad idea....of course, if you are in it to win concours, you probably should keep stuff original...

My car right now, its mostly stock aside from chip tune(performance) and a louder exhaust(boredom). Season appropriate tires are a given, and I have upgraded brake caliper bushing(feel, pad wear) and track specific pads for tracks(temperature performance). Next year I am thinking of changing out the struts to some for performance minded ones(just struts, keeping stock spring), and maybe a rear sway bar. Not looking to alter right height at all, just maybe a bit more body control for autocross and track days....
    University of Toronto Formula SAE Alumni 2003-2007
    Formula Student Championship 2003, 2005, 2006
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

Thread Information