Thread: SPEED TV loses F1 contract to NBC

SPEED TV loses F1 contract to NBC

The next four years the F1 races will be broadcasted on NBC in the US.

Get ready for tape delay, interruptions of baseball games, Olympics etc.

Yes, I heard about this. I don't watch Speed anymore, so it didn't matter anyway.

Besides, they were too busy shown Pinks, Barrett Jackson and NASCAR.

Quote Originally Posted by NSXType-R View Post
    Yes, I heard about this. I don't watch Speed anymore, so it didn't matter anyway.

Besides, they were too busy shown Pinks, Barrett Jackson and NASCAR.
    Don't forget Dumbest Stuff on Wheels *facepalm*

Quote Originally Posted by Cobrafan427 View Post
    Don't forget Dumbest Stuff on Wheels *facepalm*
    Heck, Velocity (what used to be the Discovery Channel- whatever happened to that?) has better programming. Chasing Classic Cars can be fun to watch every once in a while, along with Wheeler Dealers.
    Last edited by NSXType-R; 10-16-2012 at 01:32 PM.

Californian by nature, living in Teggsas.
    I haven't watched Speed in a while. Anyone know if they air Australian V8 Supercar races? I'd watch that...it's what NASCAR should be.

EDIT: Hey, looks like they do. Sorta late at night though...I'll have to DVR it
    Last edited by jcp123; 10-16-2012 at 02:06 PM.
    An it harm none, do as ye will

Approximately 79% of statistics are made up.

Californian by nature, living in Teggsas.
    Heck, Velocity (what used to be the Discovery Channel- whatever happened to that?) has better programming. Chasing Classic Cars can be fun to watch every once in a while, along with Wheeler Dealers.
    Discovery is still around. Perhaps your video provider doesn't have a retransmission agreement with them anymore, or it got moved to another channel. Happens all the time.

Anyhow, back to the OP, Bernie Ecclestone is known to be pretty hard-nosed with his running of F1, so if NBC is giving him a better offer, he'll take it in a heartbeat.
    An it harm none, do as ye will

Approximately 79% of statistics are made up.

Not exactly fair.....Speed still shows DTM, BTCC, WTCC, V8, just not live and sometimes not in full(they had a 2 hour highlight package for Bathurst last Sunday). Velocity has good motoring programming(some, but they also suffer from over loading of auctions...). They show SOME racing, often delayed MONTHS. Speed now shows WRC highlight package on the weekend of the race. They also show MotoGP, WSBK, AMA SBK, some even live. And they cover Grand Am live, Continental Touring car(1 week delay), and still 24 hours of Le Mans. None of any of the above is covered by ANY channel in US....

NBC Sports Group gets US Formula One rights - Motor sports- NBC Sports

NBC Sport actually had live Olympic this year(unlike network NBC), they showed their Indycar race live, they had a decent commentary crew. They probably will do the Fox thing and show their Network race(4 races by current schedule, Canadian GP, plus 3 last race of the season) delayed if need be. They are going to do online streaming also.

I think F1 coverage will probably be ok. Far more disconcerting are the rest of the stuff Speed currently covers...by all account Speed TV will be gone and apparently turned into a ESPN-like sports channel. They will still show NASCAR, but the rest of the car/automotive/racing content will probably be pared back or more likely removed. Dumb reality shows aside, they had(still have) some good shows, aside from all the previously mentioned series, the have a racing centric news program(lots of NASCAR obviously, but they still cover most series), and they have Wind Tunnel, which is quite an interesting program as they have actual racers on the show like what you'd have on other Sports talk show, but on racing. Stuff like those will probably disappear into obscurity....

Maybe Speed2(their online content stuff) will pick up the slack, but so far my cable provider is not covered by that....
    University of Toronto Formula SAE Alumni 2003-2007
    Formula Student Championship 2003, 2005, 2006
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

This is why people use torrents.

I don't watch much TV, so the Discovery channel may have moved, I'm not sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
    See, there's a problem when you need to turn to torrents to watch what you want. It's not like you aren't willing to pay for the content, it's because they aren't willing to provide the content. I'd rather not go through the hassle of torrenting and looking for streams.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post

Here is the thing with me about watching racing, and probably what really annoys me. I'd want to watch the race live, PC or TV, for the series I am actively following, which usually is F1, ALMS, WEC, Grand Am...etc. For the rest of the stuff, if I don't care enough to follow them live, I probably won't miss it too much. But if they are on, I'd watch it. Downloading racing on torrent is fine, but I'd have to find it, download it, and bother to watch it. While its not an issue with actually doing , if I had care about them enough I would've looked for the results and at which point I sorta lost the will to actually watch them. Which is why TV is great. Same as people who would watch garbage show on TV because its on, I'd watch racing if its on. Take sunday night, 11pm, Bathurst 1000 was on TV, I didn't make plan to watch it, I did not know it was on TV, and yet there it was. So it was a good time killer, and I was quite entertained by it. If people can have a cable channel about all kinds of other useless garbage that they can just tune it at their leisure and watch, then I'd want something like that for racing. Same reason why Youtube is popular. You don't make plan for Youtube stuff that you watch, but if its interesting you'll watch it without any prior preparation. Heck if Youtube show all the random racing series, I'd probably watch that...
    University of Toronto Formula SAE Alumni 2003-2007
    Formula Student Championship 2003, 2005, 2006
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

Thread Information