Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: The Official Spastik Citroen DS Pic Page...

Quote Originally Posted by Prius
    I think a better car to compare teh DS with would be the Tucker. Innovative, new, and way ahead of its time. Only the DS was successful and went thirty years without any significant body redesign, while the Tucker tanked due to Big three conspiracies/gossip against Preston himself.
    Now, I see where you're coming from here.

You're right, the Tucker had quite a few advanced features, but I do believe that Tucker tanked out because of fraud and embezzlement... not because the Big Three were troubled by one car from a tiny automaker.

Still quite an insignificant comparison- akin to the Berlin Philharmonic vs. a busker playing the kazoo.

Ahh, the Citroen DS, the Ford Taurus of the 1950s.
    OMG

Well, this is not a picture I know, but it's soooooooo cool, have a look at this video:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-FcWvdwPgA

with credits to Flaminio Bertoni at the end, great stuff.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Althought it may not seem it, the Taurus was a revolutionary car back in the day.

it was just like teh DS, it was ahead of its time, .
    You could get arrested by this two sentences.
    Money can't buy you friends, but you do get a better class of enemy.

Quote Originally Posted by IWantAnAudiRS6
    Now, I see where you're coming from here.

You're right, the Tucker had quite a few advanced features, but I do believe that Tucker tanked out because of fraud and embezzlement... not because the Big Three were troubled by one car from a tiny automaker.

Still quite an insignificant comparison- akin to the Berlin Philharmonic vs. a busker playing the kazoo.
    meh, half of the accusations made against Tucker was completely made up.
    I have found a new love in the form of a tristar.

meh, half of the accusations made against Tucker was completely made up.
    I just read up on it- Tucker and the 5 people who were indicted for fraud were aquitted... but were also too late to save the Torpedo.

There might be something interesting in the DS, so European and all. It's said that probably it's design was inspired by the early 50's Studebaker Starliner Coupé, a Loewy classic and incidentally a US car...

And I don't want to be controversial...
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

It is just amazing,how a car like that, can make people smile and even cry. Amazing that it still captures the imagination of the younger folks nowadays, like me and spastic. I want one so bad...

DAMN I LOVE THAT CAR !

Innovative but why does it have to be so damn ugly?

Beauty is subjective I know.

I found this in my cupboard... I thought it could be interesting, even for those who don't speak French. It's an article about the "new" DS 21 i.e. published 38 years ago in L'auto-journal. Extremely high resolution pictures.

Article part #1
    Attached Images Attached Images

Article part #2
    Attached Images Attached Images

Citroen DS/ Studebaker Skyliner

I have seen that quote : Re the Citroen/ Studebaker connection only in a pretty coffee table book...The author claimed that the DS was almost nothing more than the Loewy designed Skyliner designed on a Traction Avant chassis. It is complete rubbish: All one would have to do is compare the two profiles to see that although both are lovely European(ish) designs...They have very little in common outside of raised headlights and the wrap around rear windscreen. The C pillars are raked at opposing angles, AND he states that the reason for the "Cone Frites" DS turn signals is that the fibreglass roofs were warping and the turn signal was put there to cover the gap. RUBBISH RUBBISH RUBBISH. Pretty pictures and not a scrap of truth. There is lots of great documentation on Flaminio Bertone's design development: None of which resemble the Loewy design. The DS was originally supposed to be a 6-light design(Think a stretched-out rear of a VW Beatle) but rumours of a very similar rear end design from a competitor inspired the last minute design change which we are so familiar with. (See J. Reynolds: "The Original Citroen DS" for a near complete design history.) Nothing against either designer: Both cars are beautiful in very different ways: The DS looks minimalist and almost spartan next to the more accessorized Skyliner (I've seen them parked side by side....VERY COOL COMPARISON) but both are, in my opinion, two of the most attractive cars built in that era.
    Last edited by Grandcarriage; 01-22-2007 at 01:22 AM.

Welcome to UCP. Yes both designs have their own great merits, above upon which the Citroen can boost a superior technology compared to the Studebaker.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Anyway the Studebaker proves American elegance is no oxymoron.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

South Surrey, B.C, Canada. A place where you will see Cookie Monster eating cheese. If you're lucky, that is.
    Hey, why don't they all have girls with them??
    UCP's OFFICIAL biggest Detroit Pistons fan
    UCP's OFFICIAL biggest Atlanta Falcons fan

Thread Information