Thread: Toyota Celica Supra (Mark I) 1978-1981

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    The first generation Supra was based largely upon the Toyota Celica liftback, but was longer by 129.5 mm (5.10 in). The doors and rear section were shared with the Celica but the front panels were elongated to accommodate the Inline-6 instead of the stock Celica's 4-cylinder engine. Toyota's original plan for the Supra at this time was to make it a competitor to the very popular Datsun (now Nissan) Z-car.

In April 1978 Toyota began production of the Mark I Supra in Japan, as the Toyota Celica XX, and sold alongside the Celica at Japanese dealership sales channels called Toyota Corolla Store.

The Japanese Mark I was offered with a 110 hp (82 kW) 2.0 L 12-valve SOHC inline-6 engine (M-EU, chassis code MA45) or the 110 hp (82 kW) 2,563 cc (2.563 L; 156.4 cu in) 12-valve SOHC inline-6 engine (4M-E, chassis code MA46). The Japanese Supra was equipped with the smaller 2.0 L engine so that buyers wouldn't incur an additional tax under vehicle size and engine displacement regulations. Both engines were equipped with electronic fuel injection.

The Supra was first exported outside of Japan in January 1979. The export version of the Mark I was originally equipped with a 110 hp (82 kW) 2,563 cc (2.563 L; 156.4 cu in) 12-valve SOHC inline-6 engine (4M-E, chassis code MA46).

Drive train options for the Mark I were either a 5-speed manual (W50) or an optional 4-speed automatic transmission (A40D). Both transmissions featured an overdrive gear. The top gear in the 5-speed was its overdrive gear whereas the automatic transmission featured an overdrive gear that would engage at speeds over 35 mph (56 km/h). The drive train for the Supra retained the T series solid rear axle configuration of the Celica in the Japanese MA45 version and a larger F series (and optional Limited Slip Differential) in the MA46 and MA47. The car also came standard with 4-wheel disc brakes and featured a four-link rear suspension with coil springs, lateral track bar, and stabilizer bar. The front suspension consisted of MacPherson struts and a stabilizer bar.

On the inside of the Supra one had an option of power windows and power locks as part of the convenience package. The convenience package also included cruise control and special door trim with door pull straps, with an optional sunroof. As for standard features, in the center console there was an extendible map light and a flip-top armrest, which provided storage. Some other features were the tilt steering wheel, deep zippered pockets on the backs of the front seats, and tonneau cover under the liftback. The dashboard also contained a state of the art (at the time) AM/FM/MPX 4-speaker stereo radio, analog clock, and tachometer as part of the instrument panel.

Toyota Supra history:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Duell; 03-18-2013 at 11:45 PM.
    I'm going to eat breakfast. And then I'm going to change the world.

Toyota Celica Supra #2
    1-2: '79s
    3: '80
    4-6: '81s
    Last edited by Man of Steel; 03-05-2021 at 03:49 PM.
    "Kimi, can you improve on your [race] finish?"
    "No. My Finnish is fine; I am from Finland. Do you have any water?"

Toyota Celica Supra #3
    '81s
    Last edited by Man of Steel; 03-05-2021 at 03:49 PM.

Californian by nature, living in Teggsas.
    I kind of like these Mk.I's. One of the relatively few square headlight cars I enjoy looking at.
    An it harm none, do as ye will

Approximately 79% of statistics are made up.

Toyota Celica Supra #4

Including reposts in better quality

You wouldn't happen to have any more pictures of the second generation, would you MoS? It's awfully cold in my garage, so I don't see mine nearly enough.

Quote Originally Posted by f6fhellcat13 View Post
    You wouldn't happen to have any more pictures of the second generation, would you MoS?
    Sure, I will post them soon. Nice ride by the way!

Thread Information