Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The Downfall of Honda (In America)

Nothing new honestly, I have been complaining nonstop about Hondas for a long time now. You just said it more eloquently than I have. The only car I really like is the TSX wagon right now, and even that is going away soon.

The new Accord certainly looks promising though, however.

Honda is being incredibly conservative right now and is just sticking to what sells and not catering to enthusiasts. It's a sad fact, but business is business.

That being said, I'm still being cautiously optimistic. The Scion FR-S/BR-Z is a step in a great direction and I hope a trend for Japanese makers.

SUVs and crossovers sell great, and other than the ZDX and the Crosstour, the CR-V, MDX and RDX all seem to be doing okay.

Another reason why automakers are so heavily focused on SUVs and not wagons, which I love, is that the fuel economy regulations favor SUVs.

Honestly, even though Acura was the first luxury marque from Japan, it is by far the weakest now. At least Lexus has the LF-A halo car and they went bonkers with that. The new NSX seems too compromised by bean counters. And with so many concept cars, I've lost interest in it. Infiniti is doing pretty well too, with interesting RWD cars.

And quick question- isn't the Civic up for a redesign soon? The Civic was redesigned many years ago now, and I feel like it's time for a full model change.

Quote Originally Posted by NSXType-R View Post
    And quick question- isn't the Civic up for a redesign soon? The Civic was redesigned many years ago now, and I feel like it's time for a full model change.
    The current car is new as of 2011....
    University of Toronto Formula SAE Alumni 2003-2007
    Formula Student Championship 2003, 2005, 2006
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

Californian by nature, living in Teggsas.
    Quote Originally Posted by RacingManiac View Post
    The current car is new as of 2011....
    Looks like a mid-cycle refresh to eke a few more years out of it rather than a total redesign. I kind of like what they did with it, but I am still not sold on the digital gauges...in the Honda or anything else.

Incidentally, it's always irked me that digital gauges were for old people until Honda started using them, now they are all the rage.
    An it harm none, do as ye will

Approximately 79% of statistics are made up.

Quote Originally Posted by f6fhellcat13 View Post
    I'm pretty sure that was an April's fools joke

Not surprised at all with Honda losing some market share in the US. Their models are boring and their pricing can't compete with other manufacturers.

Toyota is another manufacturer going through the same crap. As a matter of fact, Toyota's "cool car" situation is SO bad, that they release a RWD sporty-looking car with an unbelievably amazing 200 horsepower and everyone thinks that it is the greatest thing ever..

I'm not one of the fanboys of the Toyobaru, but I think they made a good, balanced package. There's not much to fault aside from detail stuff. It's also pretty true to the AE86 from which they are plumbing a lot of its supposed heritage. It's not the most powerful car around, but it doesn't have to be.

Having said that...turbo it.
    Last edited by jcp123; 04-06-2013 at 08:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Niko_Fx View Post
    Toyota is another manufacturer going through the same crap. As a matter of fact, Toyota's "cool car" situation is SO bad, that they release a RWD sporty-looking car with an unbelievably amazing 200 horsepower and everyone thinks that it is the greatest thing ever..
    That's because well... it kind of is.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
    Looks like a mid-cycle refresh to eke a few more years out of it rather than a total redesign. I kind of like what they did with it, but I am still not sold on the digital gauges...in the Honda or anything else.

Incidentally, it's always irked me that digital gauges were for old people until Honda started using them, now they are all the rage.
    Nope, its a new car....they mid-cycle refreshed in 2012 because the styling was panned to be too bland...

Its as much of a new car as it was from 996->997, or MK5 to MK6 Golf....
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

While I do like the FRS, it is not a big deal. A base model V6 Mustang (secretary car) can spank that Scion....

I stopped by the Subaru dealership not too long ago to check out a BRZ and after I told the salesman that I was just curious and wanted to look at the car but that in fact if I ever were to buy a Subaru it would be a WRX he immediately agreed. Then a couple of other sales guys joined in and started criticizing the BRZ.. Why? Because a WRX is 10x as cool... but from a Toyota perspective, this FRS is uber amazing.

Again, I like the car, I truly do but it is sad that this 200hp car is the hottest thing that Toyota has baked in a long time and that it can't even compete with base models from other manufacturers.

We need a Supra, pronto!

Its not a Halo car, its meant to be a Miata style car with roof. Comes with all the ups and downs of that concept. Lack of power or not, the car is pretty well done, and I've seen quite a few driven in capable hands on autoX that they are plenty fast even on Prius tire....
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

its meant to be a Miata style car with roof
    Further proves my point, Toyota and Honda have nothing exciting going on.

Other than their lack of sports cars (that merely accounts for a small percentage of their decline), they need to redesign some of their core models and provide consumers with a fresh new look. It took me a while to identify a brand new Accord (as the "new" Accord) the other day driving around, it looked like a 5 year old model.

Saying that the Toyobaru isn't as fast as some (insert random name here) other car is missing the point of it.

It's a bit like the CR-Z. There are many cars better than it, but it is the future.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by RacingManiac View Post
    Its not a Halo car, its meant to be a Miata style car with roof. Comes with all the ups and downs of that concept. Lack of power or not, the car is pretty well done, and I've seen quite a few driven in capable hands on autoX that they are plenty fast even on Prius tire....
    I agree. It's exactly what it was designed to be, and does pretty well for it. It is not, nor was it meant to be, anything to replace the Supra/NSX/RX7/300z/3000gt set.

I am not sure we'll see the likes of those cars again. Elsewhere on the site you may have read about authorities clamping down on "reckless" driving, plus factors like rising fuel prices and high insurance costs will at best further delay a return to Japan's automotive glory days.

Having said that, I would appreciate at least a better focus on keeping their bread-n-butters a step ahead of the competition, which they are not, for the most part, doing.

By the way, the new japanese halo cars are the hybrids. Things have moved on chaps!
    Visca Catalunya!

And even then the Prius is the only one worth mentioning. Ford's got better hybrids than anyone but Toyota.

Brand loyalty will only get you so far, that's all I'm saying.

Thread Information