Thread: Peugeot 406 1995–2004

Peugeot 406 1995–2004

The Peugeot 406 was a large family car made by the French automaker Peugeot from 1995 to 2004. Available in saloon, estate and coupé bodystyles with a choice of petrol or turbodiesel engines, the 406 replaced the Peugeot 405 in Peugeot's lineup, and was itself replaced by the Peugeot 407. It used the same platform as the Citroën Xantia, though without that car's sophisticated hydropneumatic suspension system.

The styling of the 406 is heavily influenced by its predecessor, the 405, which remained on sale for a year in most Western markets while stocks were exhausted. The 405 estate even remained in production for over a year after the 406 went on sale.

Initially, the car was available with 1.8 L and 2.0 L petrol and 1.9 L turbodiesel engines, followed by a 110 bhp 2.1 L turbodiesel, turbocharged 2.0 L and 2.9 L petrol (2946cc) V6 engines. The diesel versions were very popular, and the 406 became one of Europe's best-selling diesel-powered cars.

The Peugeot 406 Coupé was both designed and manufactured by Italian design studio Pininfarina, with choices of a 2.0 L 4-cylinder engine or a 2.9 L V6, and from 2001, a 2.2 L HDi diesel engine. Major assembly was undertaken by Pininfarina, with final assembly, including trim and engines, being undertaken by Peugeot in France. On later models, a 2.2 L petrol engine was available.

For its final year on sale in the United Kingdom, the model was simply called the Peugeot Coupé, with the 406 branding being dropped from the name.

1999 facelift
    The facelifted 406 sedan was introduced in 1999 and safety, strength and speed enhancements resulted in improved Euro NCAP performance. Where the old 406 had one star and a struck off star, the post facelift models gained 3 stars. The changes included the new and improved EW/DW Engine Family HDI with greater power, torque and fuel efficiency along with increased refinement, making it comparatively quiet for a diesel.

The exterior look was amended as the 406 featured more pronounced ribs, clear glass headlights and a new honeycomb grill. The rear lights were finished in red with a strip of the car's paint colour across the centre.

The interior was also redesigned to improve comfort and space. New equipment included automated digital climate control/air conditioning on most models except the most basic and a digital display for warning messages, trip computer, radio and external temperature. There was a more extensive use of wooden trim, better quality plastics, including soft touch plastics, and in addition most models received electrically folding mirrors, with automatic headlights and wipers. The top-of-the-range Executive model was specified a 10 speaker JBL sound system, electrically adjusted and heated leather seats, a memory position for the seats and mirrors, headlight washer jets, a rear sun blind, thicker carpeting, lights in the sun visors, and ambient lighting.

---
    pre-facelift version
    Attached Images Attached Images

Peugeot 406 1999-2004
    Attached Images Attached Images

Dat 90s interior...

Californian by nature, living in Teggsas.
    Looks better than some of what I see these days...like the Klingon forehead centre stacks in the Focus and such...

Wagon's not a bad looking piece of kit, the sedan is kinda blah though.
    Last edited by jcp123; 04-15-2013 at 09:06 PM.
    An it harm none, do as ye will

Approximately 79% of statistics are made up.

Quote Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
    Looks better than some of what I see these days...like the Klingon forehead centre stacks in the Focus and such...
    ... That's what I think of too!

The quality of materials in today's cars is much higher.

If only we could just destroy all infotainment and navi/GPS/satnav screens.

Quote Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post

Wagon's not a bad looking piece of kit, the sedan is kinda blah though.
    The one you actually want is the Coupé. Possibly the last really good looking Peugeot made.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    The one you actually want is the Coupé. Possibly the last really good looking Peugeot made.
    I drove a 1999 saloon and afterwards a 2002 coupe, but they both didn't gave me the confidence that my 1994 Volvo gave me.

But when it comes down to styling I like the saloon and coupe both.

Californian by nature, living in Teggsas.
    The coupe was almost a legend for its styling...
    An it harm none, do as ye will

Approximately 79% of statistics are made up.

Peugeot 406 #3

Thread Information