Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Moss: Women drivers lack aptitude....

Moss: Women drivers lack aptitude....

Moss: female drivers lack aptitude to succeed in Formula 1 - F1 news - AUTOSPORT.com

Thoughts?

I think its sort of an senile comment, even if he is a legend and a GP winner(who if you might want to turn his own words on him, may lack "aptitude" to win a title in F1 in his prime?) Looking just at stats it certainly sorta seem that way, but the amount of female drivers in motor racing is still much less than that of man, and with that at the end of the day you still only have 20-30 F1 drivers in a season. Even less than that have won a GP not to mention title. As a statistical or probability exercise its just going to have an even smaller group of sample pool to get a female GP driver. I think physically they might need to work more to overcome some anatomical disadvantage in upper body strength or neck muscle, but I don't see that ultimately is going to stop someone determined enough to make it....
    University of Toronto Formula SAE Alumni 2003-2007
    Formula Student Championship 2003, 2005, 2006
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

I think that women can be as competitive as any other man. Maybe more, if they take an interest in whatever is at stake.

Having said that, maybe they aren't interested in going round in circles very and basically ending up where you started?
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

i'd like to see more women have a go at it for sure, you certainly see them mixing it up with the boys at club level and historic events.
    off the top of my head one woman races a 993 GT2 and the another a gemballa biturbo boxster in the porsche club sprint series for example.
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

It's still a world dominated by men... Unfortunately, misogyny isn't going away anytime soon.

I've always heard that women had better reaction time than men, even if they lack upper body strength. I know Courtney Force has been (slowly) rising through the ranks of Top Fuel, but she's not exactly her dad. She's grown up with 10 times the monetary backing her dad had but she hasn't been quite so successful. However, only the future will tell where she's going.
    "Don't think your time on bad things
    Just float your little mind around"
    Jimi Hendrix

Sir Stirling's late sister Pat drove rallys and quite successfully.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

The immediate name that comes to my mind is Danica Patrick and the response is hell no, women can't drive because the media is all about her. But if you step back and think of Sabine Schmitz, there could maybe be some possibility

Michelle Mouton.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Sadly Sir Stirling is likely suffering that reduction of mental emotional capacity which comes with old age.

He's had a go about "poofters" and now it's women.

He's 83, he was a womaniser in his career and so probably his strongest memories of what women can do have little to do with wheels

Don't sweat it.

Do have to say I doubt many women would back stab at the rate of the likes of Vettel !!!!
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine View Post
    Do have to say I doubt many women would back stab at the rate of the likes of Vettel !!!!
    maybe women can beat Vettel in the whining department? (I doubt it though)
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

He grew up in a different era and people had different ideas about what men and women were capable of doing.

It may be stupid to say so now, but for someone of his generation it is not out of place.

Californian by nature, living in Teggsas.
    Having driven with my wife at the helm...

...I can't help but agree.
    An it harm none, do as ye will

Approximately 79% of statistics are made up.

Quote Originally Posted by NSXType-R View Post
    He grew up in a different era and people had different ideas about what men and women were capable of doing.

It may be stupid to say so now, but for someone of his generation it is not out of place.
    I see your point. But it still doesn't make it okay to say. It's degrading as hell...

Quote Originally Posted by NSXType-R View Post

Regardless of what some people might be saying, men will always be men and women will always be women and they will never be equal in terms of many different things. At least I hope they will not be.

Quote Originally Posted by Cobrafan427 View Post
    The immediate name that comes to my mind is Danica Patrick and the response is hell no, women can't drive because the media is all about her. But if you step back and think of Sabine Schmitz, there could maybe be some possibility
    Danica is just one, and she isn't exactly any worse than her colleagues in Indy car or now NASCAR. She gets more coverage, but thats just how the societal norm shaped the attention paid to her. She knows full well of that and making full use of it to her advantage in attracting sponsors. Racing drivers by necessity are selfish animals because they have to be, the need to raise a vast amount of money from a relatively limited pool means any advantage they get they use. Women gets more scrutiny now and thus you are more aware of their performance, vs the people who just do poorly and not get noticed at all....

Quote Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
    Having driven with my wife at the helm...

...I can't help but agree.
    Having driven with many other guys at the helm, I am amazed men are F1 drivers....
    University of Toronto Formula SAE Alumni 2003-2007
    Formula Student Championship 2003, 2005, 2006
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

Thread Information