Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Are we just a bunch of idiots?

Quote Originally Posted by crisis View Post
    They are so amazingly cheap. I think that helped. If I didn't need 8 cylinders in my life I would be gunning straight for one of those when the time was right.
    I was this close to seriously considering the potential of the possibility of owning one before I bought my BMW. In the end the wagonanlity of my wagon has been rather handy.
    Life's too short to drive bad cars.

Quote Originally Posted by crisis View Post
    They are so amazingly cheap. I think that helped. If I didn't need 8 cylinders in my life I would be gunning straight for one of those when the time was right.
    A Subaru and a Toyota have eight cylinders, when you buy two of them.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    BMW is going front wheel drive for the next generation 1er, and frankly it doesn’t surprise me at all. What it does surprise me is that they are stopping there. Why not make a front wheel drive 3er, or a front wheel drive 5er? Scratch that, make the entire range front wheel drive! They will save a ton of money and people will still come out in droves to buy the best cars from Bavaria.

But those handling idiots… no matter how little they are, they are so hard to get rid off!
    Remember when Cadillac did that? Disaster.

Frankly, I am bummed BMW is going that route. The 1 series, particularly the 135 has always been one of my favorite attainable cars out there.
    A woman goes to the doctor to figure out why she is having breathing problems...The doctor tells her she is overweight. She says she wants a second opinion...the doctor says, "your ugly".

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    A Subaru and a Toyota have eight cylinders, when you buy two of them.
    But then it would have 4 doors.
    "A string is approximately nine long."
    Egg Nogg 02-04-2005, 05:07 AM

worse .... it would be as long as a Cadillac
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

It should still have better fuel economy though
    Chief of Secret Police and CFO - Brotherhood of Jelly
    No Mr. Craig, I expect you to die! On the inside. Of heartbreak. You emo bitch

Quote Originally Posted by faksta View Post
    Also, for most people car is a status. If Dacia would have made a really great executive car somehow, I doubt they would sell more than Romanian government would request, if they would at all. If exactly the same car would be sold with Renault badge, people would 'know' that it is better, safer and more reliable. If you would sell it as Infiniti, there might be queues to get one. That's a simple case of a label, the world is driven by PR and nothing can beat marketing tricks.
    It is indeed.

Which makes me wonder why cars like the Renault Avantime or the Citroën C6 were introduced at all. Clearly despite being far more interesting products than the established players they lack the badge to succeed.

Now they have disappeared, but from time to time those manufacturers keep having a go at it, for reasons I don't quite understand.
    Quote Originally Posted by roosterjuicer View Post
    Remember when Cadillac did that? Disaster.

Frankly, I am bummed BMW is going that route. The 1 series, particularly the 135 has always been one of my favorite attainable cars out there.
    I think those Cadillacs had more problems other than the driven wheels...

On the other hand, yes the 1st generation 1er is brilliant (the 2nd one is "How to ruin a car's handling 101) but we are the fraction of the fraction. We cannot sustain a car manufacturer's balance sheet because we are simply not enough people to make enough sales to be important economically. Therefore a rear wheel drive C-segment hatchback actually makes no sense at all.

The fact that pimento says he's seen many Toyobarus is a bit more enlivening, but I've seen about two since they were introduced (I've seen far more MX-5s, which is a relatively popular sight, but I think this is more to do with the fact that the top drops and not due to the actual handling of the car).
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Californian by nature, living in Teggsas.
    Also think about cars like the Hyndai Equus, et. al. They aren't bad cars, perhaps a tad rough around the edges but still clearly meant to be a premium alternative at a significant discount. Sales are practically nonexistent as almost nobody wants to spend that much to drive a Hyundai, even if it is a pretty fair value..
    An it harm none, do as ye will

Approximately 79% of statistics are made up.

Curiously enough Hyudai decided not to bring the Genesis (nevermind the Equus) because they feared (rightly, in my opinion) that it wouldn't sell because of the badge.

Not that Lexuses sell at all and no one's ever heard of Infinitis...
    Visca Catalunya!

if it does not have a German badge, (or a Tata/Range Rover), it will not appeal to the wealthy snobs (the real bunch of idiots as mentioned in the thread title) that seem to able to determine what good cars are.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Range Rovers only sell because they are the other type of cars those idiots like; the SUV.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    Range Rovers only sell because they are the other type of cars those idiots like; the SUV.
    Range Rovers attract a very specific group of idiots....especially those who think that a Range Rover Sport is a true sportscar...

Range Rovers attract a very specific group of idiots....especially those who think that a Range Rover Sport is a true sportscar...
    Or at least a really really good compromise. They'd be better off going a Cayenne if they really truly sought that out.

Range Rovers have some sort of cachet for the wealthy I just can't figure out.

I know the kind of people you mean.

I had a colleague at work which went from an Audi A4 with the S-Line package and 19 inch wheels (best handling car ever and very comfortable) from a Range Rover Sport (it would really suprise you!).

Previously they had had an Audi TT, which thought it was a really great sportscar...
    Visca Catalunya!

For the, say, $100k range, I'd get an Escalade if I just had to have a luxo SUV - watered down as it is, it's has a surprisingly luxurious feel, plus money left over for for a few watches. Omega Speedmaster and Jaeger Reverso anyone? Otherwise, I'd really much rather have a Panamera or A8.

Something about Range Rovers really turns me off. Can't put my finger on it, but I think it's their very popularity. I'm a contrarian and can't even stand to watch a blockbuster movie, let alone drop that kind of cash on the pop choice for luxury buyers.

Thread Information