Thread: My Echo review, as promised.

Californian by nature, living in Teggsas.

My Echo review, as promised.

Here goes.

The Echo's styling is hardly handsome. In fact, it's very awkward. From the massive forward rake, to the rear wheels which seem placed uncomfortably forward, there's really not an angle you can admire this car from.

Luckily, on the economy car front for which it's designed, there's much more to like.

If you guessed its 1,5l DOHC 16v four, putting out 108hp and 103lb-ft of torque, is not a speed racer, you'd be right. But, Toyota's variable valve timing and the car's light weight give it a certain verve that's not as expected. While it's not fast, it feels perfectly competent in day-to-day driving. The car garners great fuel economy - more on this later - but as a downside, it gives up a lot of NVH qualities. It is very vibey on idle, and can get noisy when accelerating. But the motor is also super-durable, still purring like a kitten at 223.000 miles with only a very, very bare minimum of maintenance. Small things such as using a timing chain instead ot timing belt make all the difference in its durability. The transmission is, well, competent, neither particularly good nor bad. It has decently smooth shifts, executes those shifts about where you'd expect it to, and is generally unobtrusive. It is also, like the engine, highly durable. Still, it's a sturdy and peppy combination which will serve commuters well.

Inside, it's more of a mixed bag. Though assembled perfectly, it's no luxury car, and hard plastic abounds. Seat and headliner materials have a similarly budget feel, but they wear like iron, with no rips or tears. Centre-mount gauges are a distraction, taking your eyes off of the path of travel, even if you are used to them. Interior storage is here in spades, with 4 cubbies in addition to the usual glove box and map pockets cleverly integrated into the dash. Roomwise it's what you'd expect, the front seats being perfectly adequate and sacrificing rear room for the presumably more important passengers up front. Speaking of seats, they are particularly uncomfortable for stints much longer than about an hour, with little support or bolstering. Head and hip room are pretty good, though, for such a small car. The car has very few things to control, so what's there is beyond reproach in terms of ease of use. The exception is my usual gripe about the wiper stalk used in some form almost universally in cars today, which always seems to need getting used to. Put it on the dash like my 40-something year old Mustang, it's much easier to use. Trunk space isn't bad, although the trunk opening isn't big enough to swallow large items the trunk could otherwise accomodate. A novelty for a cheap car of its era, it also has split folding seats. Nice touch. Wind and road noise can be intrusive as well, though that's exacerbated by the local propensity to pave in chip-seal. That makes any vehicle loud.

The chassis is obiously tuned for comfort, with a reasonably serene ride - especially for its class - and handling, while competent, is hardly an enthusiat's dream. It tends toward understeer, but its narrow tyres carry the car's diminutive weight with surprising speed through corners. Much like Camaros, it is a decent handler not through any grace at all, but through a good amount of grip to wrestle its weight around twists. Body roll is pronounced, and sudden changes of direction offer up little more than wallow or even, in extreme circumstances, sudden snap oversteer as the solid rear axle breaks loose. At speeds north of 60mph, though, it tends to hunt around the lane, and put together with its lacklustre seats and loud nature, it becomes a chore to drive this car over long distances. It's therefore a sorely disappointing roadtripper. It also does not take a load too well. Little more than 100lbs of extra cargo in the rear actually brings forth a harsher ride with poor rebound control, pronounced body roll, and the brakes, otherwise so vanilla and decent as not not need any separate mention, requre noticibly more effort to haul the car down to a stop. The motor also begins to labour at this point. On the unloaded commute, though, its smooth ride and basically uncomplaining nature make it less of a dour place to spend your time than most autojournos would have you believe.

Fuel economy is its best attribute. Though a dozen years later, other cars have finally well eclipsed it in more experienced hypermiler hands, a normal driver will scarcely possess a better car for fuel economy. It will probably average 32mpg for a "normal" driver. Even saddled with an automatic transmission, I can achieve an expected 38-41mpg in my commute, and around 45mpg out on the highway if the speed is kept at a steady 60mph applying the very most basic fuel economy driving techniques. It was well ahead of its time and is a testament to Toyota's engineering that it has taken this long for others to catch up.

Overall, this is more of an appliance. It is ultra-reliable with a competent ride and fuel economy to rival the best in normal hands. For commuting, the car is hard to beat in terms of its negligible upkeep, good ride quality, and low fuel and insurance costs. There isn't much to stir one's soul, but it will certainly keep mechanics and gas stations frowning.
    Last edited by jcp123; 04-28-2013 at 01:12 PM.
    An it harm none, do as ye will

Approximately 79% of statistics are made up.

223k miles.

Amazing.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    223k miles.

Amazing.
    And it looks like it has double that many miles on it...it's been to hell and back, keeps coming back for more. I honestly don't think it's had much more than oil changes in its life. Let alone the fuel pump problems...
    Last edited by jcp123; 04-27-2013 at 04:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
    And it looks like it has double that many miles on it...it's been to hell and back, keeps coming back for more. I honestly don't think it's had much more than oil changes in its life. Let alone the fuel pump problems...
    Wow, it's a nice hyper miler.

My dad has fixed Echos in the past, he says he can lift the engine by himself.

The only thing I really don't like about it is the center mounted dash instruments.

Shame Toyota really doesn't make anything like it anymore. They'd rather push Priuses/Prii instead.

It's a good car for "mild hypermilers" - it rewards more causal drivers like myself with good numbers, more so perhaps than most others, but the hardcore are better served by a lot of offerings which have only come on the market in the last couple of years. It was nonetheless ahead of its time and it has taken that full decade for anyone to match it.

The centre-mount instruments are something I downplayed in the review. It's not something I'd choose for myself - ever - but they can be gotten used to.

They do still make the Yaris, but it has been outshined in a lot of ways. The 1NZFE powerplant was well-suited to the Echo, but with the Yaris' ensuing weight gain and competitors' advances in NVH on their bargain basement cars, it has fallen well behind. Maybe a direct injection setup with new heads, cams, and a VVT-i setup would awaken the motor.

The Yaris still comes regularly on top in fuel economy in road tests (both the 2nd and the current 3rd generation models). It's gone bigger but it's still relatively small and relatively light.

I was once in a 1-litre, five speed manual, 1st generation Yaris; and while it looked like it had lived a colorful life the car felt as tight as a drum. They might not be interesting cars these Toyotas, but they surely work properly and reliably.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

223.000 miles
    Centre-mount
    When did you become a communist? Your review is so dour. I thought you liked your little runabout! This thread is useless without photos!

Your wife, she is with child, yes? Do you currently have one spawn already? How aged is said spawn?

Well...grade school for me was spent at a German school, and English was taught by an Australian, so I picked up some...interesting habits there.

I like the car for what it is, and suits exactly the kind of driving I do, but looked at objectively, it's not all that and a bag of chips. It has some real deficiencies, but not necessarily the same ones, IMHO, the autojournos picked on. Fantastic commuter...but lots of wasted potential as a roadtripper. It really is more of an appliance with lots of practical appeal, but beyond the pretty decent pep from the motor, there's nothing which will stir anyone's soul. And pictures? Ha. The car's embarrassing to look at.

Yeah, we have a 2-1/2 year old, the second one's due in a couple of months.

EDIT: Redreading it, it did come across a bit negative. I tweaked it a bit to bring out the positives more.
    Last edited by jcp123; 04-28-2013 at 01:13 PM.

Thread Information